• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about Open Carry Laws in Louisiana

EN4CER

imported post

So, I live in Louisiana and I googled open carry laws for Louisiana. I am having a hard time in getting the answers I want about open carry laws. Here is a few questions I keep getting mixed answers too.

What is the legal age to open carry in Louisiana?
Do you need a CHP or other permit to open carry?
What should be done if law enforcement officer questions open carry?

EN4CER

imported post

What are your thoughts about the JP issue? I see what the reg says but I receive different answers from LE and GOV personnel.

sraacke

imported post

EN4CER wrote:
What are your thoughts about the JP issue? I see what the reg says but I receive different answers from LE and GOV personnel.

And you will get different answers because their are either ignorant of the law or they know the law but want to restrict your right to carry by using your ignorance of the law against you.

Answers to many of your questions can be found here-> http://www.louisianacarry.org/

sraacke

imported post

EN4CER wrote:
So, I live in Louisiana and I googled open carry laws for Louisiana. I am having a hard time in getting the answers I want about open carry laws. Here is a few questions I keep getting mixed answers too.

What is the legal age to open carry in Louisiana? 18 years old
Do you need a CHP or other permit to open carry? no
What should be done if law enforcement officer questions open carry? respond the same as you would if he questoned you about carrying your cellphone or an inkpen in your shirt pocket. Be polite, ask him to cite the law you are supposidly violating, ask if you are free to leave and if he says anything besides "No you are not" then turn around and walk away from the idiot. If he says you are not free to leave ask for a supervisor and invoke your right to shut the frack up.