• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry into Oregon

Bill45

imported post

I am going on a 3 day trip into Oregon.

I am not going to open carry. I have a Washington State CPL.

What is the legal way to keep a hand gun with me while in Oregon. Unloaded and out of sight in the car?

I do not want to open carry. I am on vacation not on a public education venture.

Bill

Phssthpok

imported post

Bill45 wrote:

What is the legal way to keep a hand gun with me while in Oregon. Unloaded and out of sight in the car?

I do not want to open carry. I am on vacation not on a public education venture.

Bill
Since Oregon does not recognize any other states permit/license, then the only ways to (legally) keep a hand gun with you would be:

Open carried*
Visible in the car*
'Stored' in the car (cased, out of sight)
Anywhere in your lodging in any condition.

*Loaded in most of the state is OK...there is a list of cities stickied at the top of the Oregon forum that have 'loaded' bans as permitted by state law. To my knowledge, Portland is the only city that bans (illegally IMHO) loaded MAGAZINES as well.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Bill45 wrote:

Bill
Since Oregon does not recognize any other states permit/license, then the only ways to (legally) keep a hand gun with you would be:

Open carried*
Visible in the car*
'Stored' in the car (cased, out of sight)
Anywhere in your lodging in any condition.

*Loaded in most of the state is OK...there is a list of cities stickied at the top of the Oregon forum that have 'loaded' bans as permitted by state law. To my knowledge, Portland is the only city that bans (illegally IMHO) loaded MAGAZINES as well.

I was under the impression you were OK as long as the weapon didn't leave your vehicle, even in Portland.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
I was under the impression you were OK as long as the weapon didn't leave your vehicle, even in Portland.
There was a recent court ruling stating that motor vehicles on a public roadway are "public places" or something to that effect.

I'll see if I can find it again.

Well that's just screwed up.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
American Rattlesnake wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
There was a recent court ruling stating that motor vehicles on a public roadway are "public places" or something to that effect.

I'll see if I can find it again.

Well that's just screwed up.
I edited my previous post as I mis-characterized the court's decision. They did not state the the motor vehicle on a public roadway was a "public place."

An excerpt:
"...when the legislature enacted ORS 166.173, it intended to allow local governments to regulate the possession of loaded firearms on their streets and highways, even if such a firearm is kept in a place to which the general public has no access."

kparker

imported post

You don't have to be in Tacoma. If you are still in Pullman, you might try Umatilla County. But just because of the numbers, we have much more experience with folks from Western WA going to Western OR to get permits. As far as I know, Columbia County is also still good.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

kparker wrote:
You don't have to be in Tacoma. If you are still in Pullman, you might try Umatilla County. But just because of the numbers, we have much more experience with folks from Western WA going to Western OR to get permits. As far as I know, Columbia County is also still good.

I'm afraid I don't follow. Why would it matter where in Washington I live? Is it something they care about, or are you just talking about convenience?

shad0wfax

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:I'm afraid I don't follow.  Why would it matter where in Washington I live?  Is it something they care about, or are you just talking about convenience?
[/quote]

If you want an interactive county map that will tell you the procedures for each county so that you can decide which one is the most convenient for you, go here: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/chlcentral/ and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Each county has slightly different procedures on how/when they process the applications. (such as by mail or in-person only and by appointment only, etc)

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

kparker wrote:
Convenience, I thought it was obvious. Why drive to from Pullman to Portland or St. Helens when going to Hermiston would do?

The other factor can be whether the Sheriff of the county where you apply will accept your application. For example, Clatsop County only accepts applications from Wahkiakum, Pacific, and Grays Harbor county residents. Remember that Oregon is a "may issue" state for non-residents, and don't forget that you need proof you attendeda class that meets the Oregon CHL requirements.

Charles

kparker

imported post

Charles,

That's right, and why I initially said "you might want to try". Eastern OR counties tend to be better, but unless you know for sure what a particular sherrif is going to do, you can either be a test case for your preferred nearer county, or else go to one further away that's known to be generous in approving permits.