Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: on line CWP classes

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    Earlier this month Virginia passed a admendment to the CWP application which sts that a online gun safety course would be accepted. dose any one know of one that Virgina will accept.

  2. #2
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Post imported post


    www.concealed-carry.net/HIL23501 is one my wife used


    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  3. #3
    Regular Member virginiatuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    wongzilla wrote:
    Earlier this month Virginia passed a admendment to the CWP application which sts that a online gun safety course would be accepted. dose any one know of one that Virgina will accept.
    18.2-308(G)(7):

    7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

    While many people have successfully used The Concealed Carry Institute's certification to fulfill the demonstrated competence requirement for the Virginia CHP in their resident counties, it does not state on their web site that they are a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor. They merely state:
    [size=IT'S THE LAW!][size=Effective July 1st, 2009, the Certificate of Completion issued by the Concealed Carry Institute is to be accepted by every circuit court in Virginia, as well as by the State Police for their issuance of Non-resident permits.Section 18.2-308 (G)(7), Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended.]


    Buyer beware. Where does Virginia maintain an official list of state-certified firearms instructors? Where does the NRA maintain an official list of certified firearms instructors? Why does The Concealed Carry Institute not provide this information on their web site?
    I have sent an e-mail to them asking for proof of certification and also suggested that they add such proof, or a link to such proof, to their web site. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.


  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    virginiatuck wrote:
    wongzilla wrote:
    Earlier this month Virginia passed a admendment to the CWP application which sts that a online gun safety course would be accepted. dose any one know of one that Virgina will accept.
    18.2-308(G)(7):

    7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

    While many people have successfully used The Concealed Carry Institute's certification to fulfill the demonstrated competence requirement for the Virginia CHP in their resident counties, it does not state on their web site that they are a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor. They merely state:
    [size=IT'S THE LAW!][size=Effective July 1st, 2009, the Certificate of Completion issued by the Concealed Carry Institute is to be accepted by every circuit court in Virginia, as well as by the State Police for their issuance of Non-resident permits.Section 18.2-308 (G)(7), Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended.]


    Buyer beware. Where does Virginia maintain an official list of state-certified firearms instructors? Where does the NRA maintain an official list of certified firearms instructors? Why does The Concealed Carry Institute not provide this information on their web site?
    I have sent an e-mail to them asking for proof of certification and also suggested that they add such proof, or a link to such proof, to their web site. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.
    http://www.virginiaCHPtraining.com

    And the instructor in the video IS an NRA instructor.



    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  5. #5
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Post imported post

    Ed both links go to the same site. concealed-carry.net and it was my impression that the instructor was NRA certified also.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    Wolf_shadow wrote:
    Ed both links go to the same site. concealed-carry.net and it was my impression that the instructor was NRA certified also.
    He is.. I know him :-)
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    636

    Post imported post

    I am just about finished my online course for brain surgery. With this course you have to have some practical experience, so I'll need a volunteer or two or at least until I get in right. Any volunteers.

    I was really worried about the online course thing, but when I found they require practical experience I sure felt a lot better.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    kenny wrote:
    I am just about finished my online course for brain surgery. With this course you have to have some practical experience, so I'll need a volunteer or two or at least until I get in right. Any volunteers.

    I was really worried about the online course thing, but when I found they require practical experience I sure felt a lot better.
    The purpose is to make it as painless as possible to get a CHP. Eventually maybe we'll see vermont carry.

    I don't need a permit for training to OC, why the need in order to CC?

    You don't need training to keep a gun in your home for protection, why the need for outside the home?

    I don't need to prove to anyone I know safe gun handling, and I sure as hell shouldn't need to ask the government for a permission slip before carrying a firearm for self defense.

  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    kenny wrote:
    I am just about finished my online course for brain surgery. With this course you have to have some practical experience, so I'll need a volunteer or two or at least until I get in right. Any volunteers.

    I was really worried about the online course thing, but when I found they require practical experience I sure felt a lot better.
    Cute... however as noted, this is training for a Concealed Handgun Permit, not for a "Gun Ownership Permit", or for a "Shooting a Gun Permit".

    How much training do you require in order to slip a handgun into your pocket, or untuck your shirt?

    No other aspect of carrying a handgun concealed requires any training whatsoever.

    TFred

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    I know of many industries that use online training as a method to convey information. Like others have said, if the government MUST set the bar for one of my rights.. I want them to set the bar low. There are PLENTY of people out there that have been trained by their parents, friends and grandparents that feel no need for training... some of them were trained correctly, some trained incorrectly.

    Go to a range and watch for 15 minutes... watch people look at their firearm.. with their finger on the trigger, and turn the firearm sideways as if to look at the slide/barrel (while finger is still on the trigger) and they point at the person in the lane to the left of them, etc.

    The online course is not the catch all, best thing in the world, or any replacement for good , in person training by a qualified instructor, but I think it plays a role.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  11. #11
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    Go to a range and watch for 15 minutes... watch people look at their firearm.. with their finger on the trigger, and turn the firearm sideways as if to look at the slide/barrel (while finger is still on the trigger) and they point at the person in the lane to the left of them, etc.
    I cringe every time that I see that...and you're right - it happens all the time.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  12. #12
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    The purpose is to make it as painless as possible to get a CHP. Eventually maybe we'll see vermont carry.

    I don't need a permit for training to OC, why the need in order to CC?

    You don't need training to keep a gun in your home for protection, why the need for outside the home?

    I don't need to prove to anyone I know safe gun handling, and I sure as hell shouldn't need to ask the government for a permission slip before carrying a firearm for self defense.
    Well said, nova.

    I encourage everyone to get as much training as they can manage, from the best instructors they can find. Heck, I'll even plug one of our own: http://www.proactiveshooters.com/

    However, the Government requiring training for folks exercising a basic right is typically a bad idea.





  13. #13
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    DrMark wrote:
    nova wrote:
    The purpose is to make it as painless as possible to get a CHP. Eventually maybe we'll see vermont carry.

    I don't need a permit for training to OC, why the need in order to CC?

    You don't need training to keep a gun in your home for protection, why the need for outside the home?

    I don't need to prove to anyone I know safe gun handling, and I sure as hell shouldn't need to ask the government for a permission slip before carrying a firearm for self defense.
    Well said, nova.

    I encourage everyone to get as much training as they can manage, from the best instructors they can find. Heck, I'll even plug one of our own: http://www.proactiveshooters.com/

    However, the Government requiring training for folks exercising a basic right is typically a bad idea.



    Thank you DrMark!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    I su[[orted online in the GA and still do. To be honest, you shouldn't need a certificate or for that much...a damn permit. Now that is from the legal side.

    From the practical side, everyone should get training. This could come fom dear old Dad or a certified instructor. It doesn't matter as long as it is comprehensive,

    While I have no intention of renewing my CHP and if I did, I wouldn't have to take a class, I did sign up for Proshooters class tomorrow. My wife is getting her CHP and I insisted she take an "In Person" class. I'm just going along for a refresher.

    I think what I said was that even though I have been shooting for many years, I develope bad habits just like everyone else. A trip to the beginning won't hurt me at all. Plus I get to keep the wife company.

    Online is fine but it is NOT as good as a couple hours in front of a Good and I stress Good, instructor.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    yes I believe in training, but it should not be required by the government.

    And my previous post was about what the VCDL president said at a meeting before the bill was passed.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    kenny wrote:
    I am just about finished my online course for brain surgery. With this course you have to have some practical experience, so I'll need a volunteer or two or at least until I get in right. Any volunteers.

    I was really worried about the online course thing, but when I found they require practical experience I sure felt a lot better.
    Some of us here do believe that you shouldn't even have to get a permit to carry concealed. I.E. no training at all. Training is an important factor; however, in any fashion it should not be mandatory.

    An individual should be able to strapa gun and carry it concealed without having to fulfill any requirement whatsowever, fill out an application to a governing body (i.e. ask permission to carry a gun concealed), and then be excluded for up to 45 days from carrying a pistol unitl the government stamps their approval.

    Think of the woman/womenwho havestalkers, or a de-ranged husbandand the common sense gene finally kicks in telling them you are responsible for your own safety. Should they be excluded from strapping on a gun for 45 days. A lot can happen in just 1 day let a alone 45. Sure the easy option is to just OC; however, the individual may not be comfortable with that or maybe not allowed based on their company policy. Therefore they just want to go in cognito. Should they have to wait 45 days to carry concealed. I dont' think so.

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    rob99vmi04 wrote:
    kenny wrote:
    I am just about finished my online course for brain surgery. With this course you have to have some practical experience, so I'll need a volunteer or two or at least until I get in right. Any volunteers.

    I was really worried about the online course thing, but when I found they require practical experience I sure felt a lot better.
    Some of us here do believe that you shouldn't even have to get a permit to carry concealed. I.E. no training at all. Training is an important factor; however, in any fashion it should not be mandatory.

    An individual should be able to strapa gun and carry it concealed without having to fulfill any requirement whatsowever, fill out an application to a governing body (i.e. ask permission to carry a gun concealed), and then be excluded for up to 45 days from carrying a pistol unitl the government stamps their approval.

    Think of the woman/womenwho havestalkers, or a de-ranged husbandand the common sense gene finally kicks in telling them you are responsible for your own safety. Should they be excluded from strapping on a gun for 45 days. A lot can happen in just 1 day let a alone 45. Sure the easy option is to just OC; however, the individual may not be comfortable with that or maybe not allowed based on their company policy. Therefore they just want to go in cognito. Should they have to wait 45 days to carry concealed. I dont' think so.
    Edited because I didn't read the whole post!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    rob99vmi04 wrote:
    kenny wrote:
    I am just about finished my online course for brain surgery. With this course you have to have some practical experience, so I'll need a volunteer or two or at least until I get in right. Any volunteers.

    I was really worried about the online course thing, but when I found they require practical experience I sure felt a lot better.
    Some of us here do believe that you shouldn't even have to get a permit to carry concealed. I.E. no training at all. Training is an important factor; however, in any fashion it should not be mandatory.

    An individual should be able to strapa gun and carry it concealed without having to fulfill any requirement whatsowever, fill out an application to a governing body (i.e. ask permission to carry a gun concealed), and then be excluded for up to 45 days from carrying a pistol unitl the government stamps their approval.

    Think of the woman/womenwho havestalkers, or a de-ranged husbandand the common sense gene finally kicks in telling them you are responsible for your own safety. Should they be excluded from strapping on a gun for 45 days. A lot can happen in just 1 day let a alone 45. Sure the easy option is to just OC; however, the individual may not be comfortable with that or maybe not allowed based on their company policy. Therefore they just want to go in cognito. Should they have to wait 45 days to carry concealed. I dont' think so.
    Here we go again

    So I gather you are in favor of government approval before anyone carries a gun either concealed or Open?
    Huh!!!! not at all. Where did you get that from?

    "Some of us here do believe that you shouldn't even have to get a permit to carry concealed." I.E similar to Vermont.

  19. #19
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    You read too fast. Go back and reread my post:?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    You read too fast. Go back and reread my post:?
    I'm confused.

    I see Little orange dude beating his head against the wall.

    and this:

    "So I gather you are in favor of government approval before anyone carries a gun either concealed or Open?"




  21. #21
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    rob99vmi04 wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    You read too fast. Go back and reread my post:?
    I'm confused.

    I see Little orange dude beating his head against the wall.

    and this:

    "So I gather you are in favor of government approval before anyone carries a gun either concealed or Open?"


    You must be using Firefox and it's stuck in back when ...mode

    The post says:

    Edited because I didn't read the whole post!

  22. #22
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    rob99vmi04 wrote: Training is an important factor; however, in any fashion it should not be mandatory.

    [line]
    I know for a fact you,Peter and I ( & many others)agree on this one.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  23. #23
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    Edited because I'm too slow on the trigger finger and my post was OBE (Overtaken By Events).

    ~ Boyd

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    Agent19 wrote:
    rob99vmi04 wrote: Training is an important factor; however, in any fashion it should not be mandatory.
    [line]
    I know for a fact you,Peter and I ( & many others)agree on this one.
    Of course!First I highly doubt there is any significant difference of peoplepulling guns when their not supposed to ormissing their target and hitting something or someone they are not supposed to between states with heavy requirements (like texas) vs. states with no requirements (Vermont/Alaska).

    However, even the aboveis irrelavant looking at the original picture that is the 2nd, because I dont' see the word Training appear in the 27 words of the 2nd Amendment nor do I see Hunting/Sport Shooting appear either. Yet I do see the words Keep /Bear"shall not be infringed". Which if you add a training requirement to the mix, and a 45 day wait , I view that as an infringement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •