• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

on line CWP classes

kona6792

imported post

Earlier this month Virginia passed a admendment to the CWP application which sts that a online gun safety course would be accepted. dose any one know of one that Virgina will accept.

virginiatuck

imported post

wongzilla wrote:
Earlier this month Virginia passed a admendment to the CWP application which sts that a online gun safety course would be accepted. dose any one know of one that Virgina will accept.
18.2-308(G)(7):

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

While many people have successfully used The Concealed Carry Institute's certification to fulfill the demonstrated competence requirement for the Virginia CHP in their resident counties, it does not state on their web site that they are a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor. They merely state:
[size=IT'S THE LAW!][size=[b]Effective July 1st, 2009, the Certificate of Completion issued by the Concealed Carry Institute is to be accepted by every circuit court in Virginia, as well as by the State Police for their issuance of Non-resident permits.Section 18.2-308 (G)(7), Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended.][/b]

Buyer beware. Where does Virginia maintain an official list of state-certified firearms instructors? Where does the NRA maintain an official list of certified firearms instructors? Why does The Concealed Carry Institute not provide this information on their web site?
I have sent an e-mail to them asking for proof of certification and also suggested that they add such proof, or a link to such proof, to their web site. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
wongzilla wrote:
18.2-308(G)(7):

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

While many people have successfully used The Concealed Carry Institute's certification to fulfill the demonstrated competence requirement for the Virginia CHP in their resident counties, it does not state on their web site that they are a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor. They merely state:
[size=IT'S THE LAW!][size=[b]Effective July 1st, 2009, the Certificate of Completion issued by the Concealed Carry Institute is to be accepted by every circuit court in Virginia, as well as by the State Police for their issuance of Non-resident permits.Section 18.2-308 (G)(7), Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended.][/b]

Buyer beware. Where does Virginia maintain an official list of state-certified firearms instructors? Where does the NRA maintain an official list of certified firearms instructors? Why does The Concealed Carry Institute not provide this information on their web site?
I have sent an e-mail to them asking for proof of certification and also suggested that they add such proof, or a link to such proof, to their web site. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.
http://www.virginiaCHPtraining.com

And the instructor in the video IS an NRA instructor.

kenny

imported post

I am just about finished my online course for brain surgery. With this course you have to have some practical experience, so I'll need a volunteer or two or at least until I get in right. Any volunteers.

I was really worried about the online course thing, but when I found they require practical experience I sure felt a lot better.

nova

imported post

kenny wrote:
I am just about finished my online course for brain surgery. With this course you have to have some practical experience, so I'll need a volunteer or two or at least until I get in right. Any volunteers.

I was really worried about the online course thing, but when I found they require practical experience I sure felt a lot better.
The purpose is to make it as painless as possible to get a CHP. Eventually maybe we'll see vermont carry.

I don't need a permit for training to OC, why the need in order to CC?

You don't need training to keep a gun in your home for protection, why the need for outside the home?

I don't need to prove to anyone I know safe gun handling, and I sure as hell shouldn't need to ask the government for a permission slip before carrying a firearm for self defense. :)

TFred

imported post

kenny wrote:

Cute... however as noted, this is training for a Concealed Handgun Permit, not for a "Gun Ownership Permit", or for a "Shooting a Gun Permit".

How much training do you require in order to slip a handgun into your pocket, or untuck your shirt?

No other aspect of carrying a handgun concealed requires any training whatsoever.

TFred

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I know of many industries that use online training as a method to convey information. Like others have said, if the government MUST set the bar for one of my rights.. I want them to set the bar low. There are PLENTY of people out there that have been trained by their parents, friends and grandparents that feel no need for training... some of them were trained correctly, some trained incorrectly.

Go to a range and watch for 15 minutes... watch people look at their firearm.. with their finger on the trigger, and turn the firearm sideways as if to look at the slide/barrel (while finger is still on the trigger) and they point at the person in the lane to the left of them, etc.

The online course is not the catch all, best thing in the world, or any replacement for good , in person training by a qualified instructor, but I think it plays a role.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

ed wrote:
Go to a range and watch for 15 minutes... watch people look at their firearm.. with their finger on the trigger, and turn the firearm sideways as if to look at the slide/barrel (while finger is still on the trigger) and they point at the person in the lane to the left of them, etc.
I cringe every time that I see that...and you're right - it happens all the time.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

nova wrote:
The purpose is to make it as painless as possible to get a CHP. Eventually maybe we'll see vermont carry.

You don't need training to keep a gun in your home for protection, why the need for outside the home?

I don't need to prove to anyone I know safe gun handling, and I sure as hell shouldn't need to ask the government for a permission slip before carrying a firearm for self defense. :)
Well said, nova.

I encourage everyone to get as much training as they can manage, from the best instructors they can find. Heck, I'll even plug one of our own: http://www.proactiveshooters.com/

However, the Government requiring training for folks exercising a basic right is typically a bad idea.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

DrMark wrote:
nova wrote:

Well said, nova.

I encourage everyone to get as much training as they can manage, from the best instructors they can find. Heck, I'll even plug one of our own: http://www.proactiveshooters.com/

However, the Government requiring training for folks exercising a basic right is typically a bad idea.
Thank you DrMark! :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I su[[orted online in the GA and still do. To be honest, you shouldn't need a certificate or for that much...a damn permit. Now that is from the legal side.

From the practical side, everyone should get training. This could come fom dear old Dad or a certified instructor. It doesn't matter as long as it is comprehensive,

While I have no intention of renewing my CHP and if I did, I wouldn't have to take a class, I did sign up for Proshooters class tomorrow. My wife is getting her CHP and I insisted she take an "In Person" class. I'm just going along for a refresher.

I think what I said was that even though I have been shooting for many years, I develope bad habits just like everyone else. A trip to the beginning won't hurt me at all. Plus I get to keep the wife company.

Online is fine but it is NOT as good as a couple hours in front of a Good and I stress Good, instructor.

nova

imported post

yes I believe in training, but it should not be required by the government.

And my previous post was about what the VCDL president said at a meeting before the bill was passed.

rob99vmi04

imported post

kenny wrote:

Some of us here do believe that you shouldn't even have to get a permit to carry concealed. I.E. no training at all. Training is an important factor; however, in any fashion it should not be mandatory.

An individual should be able to strapa gun and carry it concealed without having to fulfill any requirement whatsowever, fill out an application to a governing body (i.e. ask permission to carry a gun concealed), and then be excluded for up to 45 days from carrying a pistol unitl the government stamps their approval.

Think of the woman/womenwho havestalkers, or a de-ranged husbandand the common sense gene finally kicks in telling them you are responsible for your own safety. Should they be excluded from strapping on a gun for 45 days. A lot can happen in just 1 day let a alone 45. Sure the easy option is to just OC; however, the individual may not be comfortable with that or maybe not allowed based on their company policy. Therefore they just want to go in cognito. Should they have to wait 45 days to carry concealed. I dont' think so.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
kenny wrote:

Some of us here do believe that you shouldn't even have to get a permit to carry concealed. I.E. no training at all. Training is an important factor; however, in any fashion it should not be mandatory.

An individual should be able to strapa gun and carry it concealed without having to fulfill any requirement whatsowever, fill out an application to a governing body (i.e. ask permission to carry a gun concealed), and then be excluded for up to 45 days from carrying a pistol unitl the government stamps their approval.

Think of the woman/womenwho havestalkers, or a de-ranged husbandand the common sense gene finally kicks in telling them you are responsible for your own safety. Should they be excluded from strapping on a gun for 45 days. A lot can happen in just 1 day let a alone 45. Sure the easy option is to just OC; however, the individual may not be comfortable with that or maybe not allowed based on their company policy. Therefore they just want to go in cognito. Should they have to wait 45 days to carry concealed. I dont' think so.
Edited because I didn't read the whole post!:uhoh:

rob99vmi04

imported post

peter nap wrote:
rob99vmi04 wrote:
kenny wrote:

Here we go again:banghead:

So I gather you are in favor of government approval before anyone carries a gun either concealed or Open?

Huh!!!! not at all. Where did you get that from?

"Some of us here do believe that you shouldn't even have to get a permit to carry concealed." I.E similar to Vermont.

rob99vmi04

imported post

peter nap wrote:
You read too fast. Go back and reread my post:?

I'm confused.

I see :banghead: Little orange dude beating his head against the wall.

and this:

"So I gather you are in favor of government approval before anyone carries a gun either concealed or Open?"