• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drinking & Guns...

bmeldrum

imported post

So I was board & online & saw this story on KSL and thought it would make for great conversation/comments... http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7099054

Apparently this lady got a little carried away (maybe abusing HB 357)... So I caught several problems/questions (the rest is speculation): first was this her vehicle & who's fire arm? If it was her vehicle she's covered by HB 357, if not than she should have got the owners permission. It doesn't really say who the gun belonged to. Next she was drinking & in possesion of afirearm, than she fires, so doesn't that count as discharging a firearm (it doesn't say if she was in city limits or not). So several other counts to add to the two she got charged with... Maybe she was just out shooting speed limit signs or something...:what:I heard that they do that a lot in Uintah county.

So assuming any of you (permit holders or not)or myself say was one of these other drivers that got fired uponor witnessed this taking place we would be okay to draw or firearms& perhaps even fire upon this lady? (of course we'd have to convince a jury of our peers...) what would you guys do or would have done...

(saw this photo on the web, thought it was funny)

scorpioajr

imported post

My personal favorite:

66%20Motorcycle%20with%20Machine%20Gun%20is%20Awesome.jpg

bmeldrum

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
My personal favorite: (pic)

SWEET!! I love it:D

Personally if I was driving on Hwy 40 & saw a lady firing from a vehicle at other cars, if I felt that I absolutely had too fire than I would (if my life or others were in danger, if they were attempting to commit a felony etc) morally I would have to live with the consequences...

scorpioajr

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
My personal favorite: (pic)

SWEET!! I love it:D

Personally if I was driving on Hwy 40 & saw a lady firing from a vehicle at other cars, if I felt that I absolutely had too fire than I would (if my life or others were in danger, if they were attempting to commit a felony etc) morally I would have to live with the consequences...
After seeing some of the proof that cars don't offer much protection in the way of stopping bullets: I have always told myself that i would just slam on my breaks, or speed away. Cars are bullet magnets once the firefight has started, and offer little to no protection (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm), and therefore would be a disadvantage.

So to better answer the OP, i would say that i would get as far away as possible and attempt to call the police. OBVIOUSLY, if all attempts have been made to flee are unsuccessful, i wouldn't just sit there ducking bullets, and more than likely return fire out of being in CLEAR danger of being hit, which would cause seriously bodily harm, injury, and possibly death.

.45acp

imported post

This a scary mug shot of the lady involved!:shock:probably not at the her best. In answer to the OP question, pedal to the metal, OC or CC is not an invitation to a gun fight. Of course if you were stopped and a shooter pulled up and opened fire it is one thing, but in a car, you would be passedthe shooterand the dangerbefore you could return fire. I don't think you could make a case for chasing her down and continuing the engagment.

Get by and call 911! We aint cops, and agian CC or OCis not an invite to a gunfight.

12639012.png

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
Apparently this lady got a little carried away (maybe abusing HB 357)... So I caught several problems/questions (the rest is speculation): first was this her vehicle & who's fire arm?
The new law has nothing to do with this. HB 357 allowed for possession inher vehicle, not discharge from it. The story says that the car was hers, and it does not matter who owned the firearm.

bmeldrum wrote:
If it was her vehicle she's covered by HB 357, if not than she should have got the owners permission.
Even if the vehicle was not lawfully possessed by her, she may have a concealed firearm permit, thus negating the loaded possession.

bmeldrumwrote:
Next she was drinking & in possesion of afirearm
Possession of a firearm while drinkingis not a crime, but it is unlawful to be in possession while intoxicated per 76-10-528. Drinking and driving is obviously a crime.

bmeldrum wrote:
than she fires, so doesn't that count as discharging a firearm (it doesn't say if she was in city limits or not).
Discharging a firearm inside of city limits is not a violation of Utah law, butshooting from a vehicle is prohibited per 76-10-508.

The city of Vernalmay and does prohibit the discharge of firearms, so the city can prosecute her for this crimeif they wish.

Section 9.08.010 Discharge of firearms prohibited.

[align=justify]A.It is unlawful for any person, except public officers in the pursuit of their lawful duties, to discharge firearms of any description within the limits of Vernal City.
B.This section shall not be construed, however, to prevent the firing of firearms at any rifle or pistol range approved and inspected by the Chief of Police.[/align]

bmeldrum

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
bmeldrum wrote:
Apparently this lady got a little carried away (maybe abusing HB 357)... So I caught several problems/questions (the rest is speculation): first was this her vehicle & who's fire arm?
The new law has nothing to do with this. HB 357 allowed for possession inher vehicle, not discharge from it. The story says that the car was hers, and it does not matter who owned the firearm.

bmeldrum wrote:
If it was her vehicle she's covered by HB 357, if not than she should have got the owners permission.
Even if the vehicle was not lawfully possessed by her, she may have a concealed firearm permit, thus negating the loaded possession.

bmeldrumwrote:
Next she was drinking & in possesion of afirearm
Possession of a firearm while drinkingis not a crime, but it is unlawful to be in possession while intoxicated per bmeldrum wrote:
than she fires, so doesn't that count as discharging a firearm (it doesn't say if she was in city limits or not).
Discharging a firearm inside of city limits is not a violation of Utah law, butshooting from a vehicle is prohibited per 76-10-508.

The city of Vernalmay and does prohibit the discharge of firearms, so the city can prosecute her for this crimeif they wish.

Section 9.08.010 Discharge of firearms prohibited.

[align=justify]A.It is unlawful for any person, except public officers in the pursuit of their lawful duties, to discharge firearms of any description within the limits of Vernal City.
B.This section shall not be construed, however, to prevent the firing of firearms at any rifle or pistol range approved and inspected by the Chief of Police.[/align]
Well I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. I admit that mug shot is pretty scary, I would be pretty scared if I saw her driving down the road and waving a gun out the window or whatever she was doing...:what:

LovesHisXD45

imported post

ROFL. If her bullets didn't get ya, her looks would kill you anyway. Madusa, look out. You got some new competition. Yeah, definitely vacate the scene and call 911 on this one for sure. Get the plates, the make and model, and the direction of travel and snag the cell phone quick.

:)

b1ack5mith

imported post

I FREAKIN LOVE THE motorcycle AK47 pic... i guarantee every liberal who saw that was like OMG! and every gun owner probably gave him a thumbs up (well becides the "liberal gun owners")