Thread: AL LAW??

Post imported post

Hey i just want somebody to tell me what the al law is for open carry??? I am going to be passing thru AL on my way to miss. I dont really want to have to unload and lock up my defense. I'm good with my permiteverywhere except al. Thanks for the info in advance

Post imported post

If your permit is not valid in AL, you'll have to lock it up. A permit is required to have a handgun in the car.

Post imported post

Daddyo wrote:
    If your permit is not valid in AL, you'll have to lock it up. A permit is required to have a handgun in the car.
    Ok thanks daddyo.

and if I do say so myself Al kinda sucks lol. Oh well guess i'll have to lock her up thanks again

Post imported post

The car restriction and State park restrictions are major problems with Alabama. Otherwise, I find it to be the least restrictive state in our region with regards to carry. We just got to fix those matters and it will be great :celebrate.

It might be worthwhile to get a non-resident permit to get more reciprocity in the region, including GA and AL.

Post imported post

yeah wouldnt be bad if you could get them to pass an open carry. Or like ga and pass a glove box law would suit me just fine

Post imported post

Be careful in GA. As a non-resident you can only carry in the glovebox if you have a reciprocal license.

That is because the GA law says that you do not need a license to carry anywhere in your car if you are not enumerated as ineligible for a license. However, non-residents of GA and 18 year olds are so enumerated. It is a problem we gotta fix.

The core problem is that VA does not recognize permits that do not have a training requirement. That is what breaks reciprocity with GA and AL.

Post imported post

glad you clarafied that. of course i wont be goin thru ga but i mis read the law thanks for that.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
    The core problem is that VA does not recognize permits that do not have a training requirement. That is what breaks reciprocity with GA and AL.
    Actually, Virginia does not have reciprocity with Alabama or Georgia because those states are unable to provide verification of their permits, as required by Va. Code § 18.2-308(P). Virginia has reciprocity with Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota--none of which have a training requirement--and honors Washington permits. There have been some previous attempts to repeal this requirement (e.g., 2007 HB 2235) but they have been unsuccessful.

My home state of West Virginia is in the same boat. See W.Va. Code§ 61-7-6a (amended eff. July 10, 2009, by HB 3314). I have also been working on similar legislation here (e.g., 2007 HB 2199, 2008 HB 4683and SB 228, 2009 SB 148).

Until these problems are resolved, the only solution is a nonresident license from Florida, New Hampshire (although the recent license fee increase from $20 to $100 makes NH a poor value for the money), or Utah. I've also contacted some folks in PA to encourage them to renew their efforts to get reciprocity with AL & MS. At $25 for 5 years, a PA LTCF would truly be the best value for closing reciprocity gaps in the South (or conversely closes AL & GA's gaps for VA & WV).
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    Peacemaker wrote:
    Actually, Virginia does not have reciprocity with Alabama or Georgia because those states are unable to provide verification of their permits, as required by Va. Code § 18.2-308(P). Virginia has reciprocity with Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota--none of which have a training requirement--and honors Washington permits. There have been some previous attempts to repeal this requirement (e.g., 2007 HB 2235) but they have been unsuccessful.

My home state of West Virginia is in the same boat. See W.Va. Code§ 61-7-6a (amended eff. July 10, 2009, by HB 3314). I have also been working on similar legislation here (e.g., 2007 HB 2199, 2008 HB 4683and SB 228, 2009 SB 148).

Until these problems are resolved, the only solution is a nonresident license from Florida, New Hampshire (although the recent license fee increase from $20 to $100 makes NH a poor value for the money), or Utah. I've also contacted some folks in PA to encourage them to renew their efforts to get reciprocity with AL & MS. At $25 for 5 years, a PA LTCF would truly be the best value for closing reciprocity gaps in the South (or conversely closes AL & GA's gaps for VA & WV).
    Tell me more about these non-resident license, what do I have to do to get one, and if I where able to get one to other states without being a resident of the state that means I could visit NH, where Ridley, The Porcupine report goes on right? Love that area, even though I've never been there, I've seen alot of Ridley Reports on UTUBE and it looks like a very cool laid back area.

Post imported post

I'm from Illinois, will be visiting family in Gadsten Al....what is the law for open carry on the street, restaurants etc?

Post imported post

runnerrk wrote:
    I'm from Illinois, will be visiting family in Gadsten Al....what is the law for open carry on the street, restaurants etc?
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/C...975/148207.htm

Open carry is generally lawful. However, unless you have a non-resident carry permit from a state that Alabama honors, you will not be able to carry a pistol accessible to you in an automobile.