• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AL LAW??

POORBOY

imported post

Hey i just want somebody to tell me what the al law is for open carry??? I am going to be passing thru AL on my way to miss. I dont really want to have to unload and lock up my defense. I'm good with my permiteverywhere except al. Thanks for the info in advance

Daddyo

imported post

If your permit is not valid in AL, you'll have to lock it up. A permit is required to have a handgun in the car.

POORBOY

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
If your permit is not valid in AL, you'll have to lock it up. A permit is required to have a handgun in the car.

Ok thanks daddyo.

and if I do say so myself Al kinda sucks lol. Oh well guess i'll have to lock her up thanks again

Peacemaker

imported post

The car restriction and State park restrictions are major problems with Alabama. Otherwise, I find it to be the least restrictive state in our region with regards to carry. We just got to fix those matters and it will be great :celebrate.

It might be worthwhile to get a non-resident permit to get more reciprocity in the region, including GA and AL.

POORBOY

imported post

yeah wouldnt be bad if you could get them to pass an open carry. Or like ga and pass a glove box law would suit me just fine

Peacemaker

imported post

Be careful in GA. As a non-resident you can only carry in the glovebox if you have a reciprocal license.

That is because the GA law says that you do not need a license to carry anywhere in your car if you are not enumerated as ineligible for a license. However, non-residents of GA and 18 year olds are so enumerated. It is a problem we gotta fix.

The core problem is that VA does not recognize permits that do not have a training requirement. That is what breaks reciprocity with GA and AL.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
The core problem is that VA does not recognize permits that do not have a training requirement. That is what breaks reciprocity with GA and AL.
Actually, Virginia does not have reciprocity with Alabama or Georgia because those states are unable to provide verification of their permits, as required by Va. Code § 18.2-308(P). Virginia has reciprocity with Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota--none of which have a training requirement--and honors Washington permits. There have been some previous attempts to repeal this requirement (e.g., 2007 HB 2235) but they have been unsuccessful.

My home state of West Virginia is in the same boat. See W.Va. Code§ 61-7-6a (amended eff. July 10, 2009, by HB 3314). I have also been working on similar legislation here (e.g., 2007 HB 2199, 2008 HB 4683and SB 228, 2009 SB 148).

Until these problems are resolved, the only solution is a nonresident license from Florida, New Hampshire (although the recent license fee increase from $20 to $100 makes NH a poor value for the money), or Utah. I've also contacted some folks in PA to encourage them to renew their efforts to get reciprocity with AL & MS. At $25 for 5 years, a PA LTCF would truly be the best value for closing reciprocity gaps in the South (or conversely closes AL & GA's gaps for VA & WV).

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Peacemaker wrote:
Actually, Virginia does not have reciprocity with Alabama or Georgia because those states are unable to provide verification of their permits, as required by Va. Code § 18.2-308(P). Virginia has reciprocity with Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota--none of which have a training requirement--and honors Washington permits. There have been some previous attempts to repeal this requirement (e.g., 2007 HB 2235) but they have been unsuccessful.

My home state of West Virginia is in the same boat. See W.Va. Code§ 61-7-6a (amended eff. July 10, 2009, by HB 3314). I have also been working on similar legislation here (e.g., 2007 HB 2199, 2008 HB 4683and SB 228, 2009 SB 148).

Until these problems are resolved, the only solution is a nonresident license from Florida, New Hampshire (although the recent license fee increase from $20 to $100 makes NH a poor value for the money), or Utah. I've also contacted some folks in PA to encourage them to renew their efforts to get reciprocity with AL & MS. At $25 for 5 years, a PA LTCF would truly be the best value for closing reciprocity gaps in the South (or conversely closes AL & GA's gaps for VA & WV).
Tell me more about these non-resident license, what do I have to do to get one, and if I where able to get one to other states without being a resident of the state that means I could visit NH, where Ridley, The Porcupine report goes on right? Love that area, even though I've never been there, I've seen alot of Ridley Reports on UTUBE and it looks like a very cool laid back area.

runnerrk

imported post

I'm from Illinois, will be visiting family in Gadsten Al....what is the law for open carry on the street, restaurants etc?

Peacemaker