• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

official statements from LE regarding OC

wewd

imported post

upioneer wrote:
on another note, i remember reading somewhere that a loaded mag is considered a loaded firearm.  if that is the case, what is the point of open carry if u cannot have a loaded mag ready whether it be in a pouch or pocket?  and if u cannot carry a loaded mag then im not interested in wearing an expensive paper weight in a holster.

You can carry a loaded mag as long as it is also carried openly, as in a belt pouch. People vs. Clark clarified what "loaded" means and basically as long as the ammunition is not in a position from which it could be readily fired (either in the chamber, or in a magazine inserted into the weapon, or in a tubular magazine integral to the weapon), the weapon is unloaded. Ammo attached to the weapon but not in a position to be fired is also fine, like a buttstock ammo pouch or sidesaddle. You could duct-tape a magazine to the side of your pistol and it would be fine. A loaded mag in your pocket, however, is no-go.

A loaded magazine concealed in your pocket is illegal because the courts have ruled that magazines are integral to the function of a firearm and are considered part of the firearm, and may not be concealed. Loaded speedloaders, moon clips, stripper clips, as well as loose rounds are all fine to conceal since they are not integral to the function of the firearm.