• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help deciding next carry gun

Magix

imported post

Thanks for all the advice. I definitely worried about finding a holster for the CZ. Also, the HK USPc was near the limit of my price range. I like the fact that I could get almost two glocks for one usp.

Sorry, I didn't list the wheel guns because I've fired a variety and am simply not comfortable shooting them.

The XDm 9mm was fourth on my list, but I couldn't find a holster for it either! Only holsters for the XD and people said the fit was a bit loose without some modification.

This rig will be for OC most of the time.

I guess based on the responses I'm going to compare the Glock and CZ when I get to the store. Anything else I should be aware of?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Admittedly, I don't have any experience with the CZ but I am a fan of Glocks and the 19 seems to be the most popular by far. Mags are cheap and plentiful, abundant holster options, easy to tear all the way down, absolutely reliable, and reasonably priced.

Manu

imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:
if you don't mind spending the money, get an FN FiveSeven...fully loaded with 20 rounds of 5.7 x 28, it's only about 28 1/2 ounces:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Thats a really nice gun shot it once, gives you very tight groupings.

Magix

imported post

I ended up getting the Glock 19. It just felt right in my hand. The CZ grip felt a little too rough for my liking and the HK was still out of my price range.

Thanks to everyone for the tips.

New Daddy

imported post

T-RaV wrote:
If those 3 were my only options, I would go with the Glock. In addition to the excellent quality and reliability, everybody and their brother carries accessories for them.

I would however recommend you take a second look at the Kahrs. I have a P9 that I originally purchased for CC because of its weight and dimensions but I have found that those same qualities are equally beneficial for OC. :)

I've been looking at the Kahr P9. Have you had any issues with it?

It gets mixed reviews in Gun Tests, but they've been criticized because they don't allow for a "break in" period that Kahr recommends and I'd like to get a first hand opinion from somebody that actually has one.

shad0wfax

imported post

Magix wrote:
I ended up getting the Glock 19. It just felt right in my hand. The CZ grip felt a little too rough for my liking and the HK was still out of my price range.

Congratulations on your purchase. In the end, you bought the gun that fit you the best. Now hit the range and center-punch those targets until it's second nature!

Magix

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Magix wrote:

Congratulations on your purchase. In the end, you bought the gun that fit you the best. Now hit the range and center-punch those targets until it's second nature!
That's the plan this coming week. First I'm letting the oil sink in real good after a nice cleaning today. Then it'll be ready to go! ;)

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

New Daddy wrote:
T-RaV wrote:
If those 3 were my only options, I would go with the Glock. In addition to the excellent quality and reliability, everybody and their brother carries accessories for them.

I would however recommend you take a second look at the Kahrs. I have a P9 that I originally purchased for CC because of its weight and dimensions but I have found that those same qualities are equally beneficial for OC. :)

It gets mixed reviews in Gun Tests, but they've been criticized because they don't allow for a "break in" period that Kahr recommends and I'd like to get a first hand opinion from somebody that actually has one.
I've had three jams/failed ejects with it and all were within the break in period. I have since fired well over 2000 rounds through it without issue.

Wades Guns in Bellevue has them for rent if you'd like to fire one before purchasing. I was originally going to purchase the PM9 but after firing the P9 (slightly larger grip) I chose the P9. Actually, Wades rents both if you'd like to do a comparison.

New Daddy

imported post

T-RaV wrote:
New Daddy wrote:
T-RaV wrote:

I've had three jams/failed ejects with it and all were within the break in period. I have since fired well over 2000 rounds through it without issue.

Wades Guns in Bellevue has them for rent if you'd like to fire one before purchasing. I was originally going to purchase the PM9 but after firing the P9 (slightly larger grip) I chose the P9. Actually, Wades rents both if you'd like to do a comparison.

Thanks. I held them and spoke to the rep at the Convention in Phoenix and think with the size and weight they'd be great for a carry gun. I'll see if I can swing by Wades and rent one.