• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help deciding next carry gun

Magix

imported post

I'm headed to the local shop tomorrow to pick up a new carry gun. Right now I'm carrying my Sig SP2022 and feel like it's a bit bulky. The weight doesn't bother me much, but I wouldn't complain carrying less weight either. I've narrowed down my options to three 9mm:

• Glock 19
  • CZ P-07
  • HK USPc
What do you guys/girls think? I've been going back and forth so I need a new perspective. Pros and cons for each?

Thanks for the help! :dude:

j2l3

imported post

I don't know much about Glock's and HK's, but I have experience with CZ since the early 80's... not that specific model, but the CZ quality. First rate, I have never seen one malfunction, that doesn't mean they don't, but in my 20 + years around them, I have never seen it happen.

Magix

imported post

So Anti, what would be your vote? I think I already know what j2l3 would pick. ;)

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

If those 3 were my only options, I would go with the Glock. In addition to the excellent quality and reliability, everybody and their brother carries accessories for them.

I would however recommend you take a second look at the Kahrs. I have a P9 that I originally purchased for CC because of its weight and dimensions but I have found that those same qualities are equally beneficial for OC. :)

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I'd go with the CZ. Can't be beaten.

:celebrate

Although the USP is sexier-looking.

MrGray

imported post

If you're considering the H&K USP compact, you might want to look at the H&K P2000, just about the same size as the USP compact but with a different safety/decocker arrangement. Different grip ergonomics, too.

Also see the P2000sk, which is smaller, about 2 ounces lighter, and can be used with the 13 round USPc/P2000 magazines with x-grip adapters to give a bit more grip.

I carry a p2000sk.

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

MrGray wrote:
If you're considering the H&K USP compact, you might want to look at the H&K P2000, just about the same size as the USP compact but with a different safety/decocker arrangement. Different grip ergonomics, too.

Also see the P2000sk, which is smaller, about 2 ounces lighter, and can be used with the 13 round USPc/P2000 magazines with x-grip adapters to give a bit more grip.

I carry a p2000sk.
Holy detailed relevant info for first post batman!

Welcome MrGray :)

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

T-RaV wrote:
...I would however recommend you take a second look at the Kahrs. I have a P9 that I originally purchased for CC because of its weight and dimensions but I have found that those same qualities are equally beneficial for OC. :)

Just like T-RaV, I was thinking of recommending the Kahr P9.

When I want to conceal, I carry a Kel-tec PF-9. It's even thinner than any of the Kahrs, but a little harder to hold onto and worse for big hands (I have small hands). One of the great things about OC is that I don't have to trim down to my tiny PF-9; I can carry what I shoot best (Smith M&P40). Maybe you'd want to consider one of the compact M&Ps?

MrGray

imported post

T-RaV wrote:

Holy detailed relevant info for first post batman!

Welcome MrGray :)

Thanks, and you're welcome.

Another obvious contender for a carry weapon, especially given that the OP has a Sig sp2022 which is too bulky, would be to look at the Sig p239, which is in the same size class as the H&K models I mentioned. But it's single stack, and you give up some magazine capacity, even against the 10 round P2000sk magazine. On the upside it would have essentially the same manual of arms as the SP2022 in terms of decocker location and operation, etc.

You just have to love all the small handguns that were developed as a result of the 10 round magazine limit. So very many choices from so many manufacturers from CZ to Walther.

shad0wfax

imported post

Always keep in mind what type of carry rig you want to use and what type of holsters are available for that gun.

CZ's are hard to find holsters for.

You can get Galcos and SERPAS for HK USP's and for Glocks easily. Glocks are so common that you can find a plethora of holsters for them. If you buy a CZ you'll end up with a "generic" or "any size fits all" type holster.

I'd go with Glocks if you like the DAO striker fired system or with HK USP'sif you like the DA/SA hammer and decock systems.

j2l3

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
If you buy a CZ you'll end up with a "generic" or "any size fits all" type holster.
Untrue, I carry a CZ and have three exact fit, molded holsters for it. Two of them are leather.

jchen012

imported post

How about a M&P compact in 9mm? The M&Ps are really good guns and many departments are slowly switching from Glock to M&P because of the fact that the M&P can be suited to fit anyone with the backstraps. I was disappointed with the new 4th generation Glocks in that I was hoping they would have swapable backstraps, but they don't...