• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Trader in Reno

Paratrooper82

imported post

I am currently on my honeymoon in Reno and decided to do a little browsing while I was here and my wife was occupied. I am 20 years of age, and active duty Army. I had to jump through many hoops in North Carolina to buy a handgun (private sale) under 21, so I know all the applicable Federal Laws and NC laws in regards to this situation.

Let me say this, loud and clear: I had no intention of buying a firearm, nor did I have a firearm in my possession. Zero. None. Nada. This is a complaint purely from a customers point of view.

I found Gun Trader online and entered the store at approximately 1300 hours on July 9th, 2009.

They greeted me, and after finding out I was military (I say sir a lot, apparently) we got into a discussion and I browsed their firearms, and took a look at the 14 round SW MP .45 full size magazines.

I then got in the discussion of how I acquired my S&W M&P .45 ACP fullsize. I mention that I bought it from a person at a gun-show in North Carolina, and that I had to get a pistol purchase permit and jump through some hoops with the Cumberland County Attorney's Office to get that because I was under 21.

That perked their ears. One of the men rolls his eyes and says:
Him: "You know you just admitted to a felony."
Me: "Excuse me?"
Him: "You can't buy a gun when you're under 21, period."
Me: "Yeah, from a FFL. It was a private sale though."
Him: "It doesnt matter. You just admitted to a felony."
Me: "Sir, I hate to tell you you're wrong, but federal law says 18 to possess, 21 to buy from a dealer."
Him: "I do this for a living. And you come in here admitting to a felony, you can just beat feet out of here if you think you know so much. I do this for a damn living."

I could be wrong with a few of the quotes, but that was the general gist of the conversation.

I left the store with no further argument wondering if ignorance really was bliss.

I was not trying to argue Nevada law (because I don't know it) but Federal law. I guess they didn't lose a customer, but they sure as hell didn't show much customer service.

-John

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I'm not too surprised.

There is a review thread at Nevada Shooters: http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=656

Not too long ago I accompanied a friend who was looking for a holster for his handgun, and we decided to check that shop. (They didn't have the holster he was seeking.) We were both under 21, and I was carrying openly of course. I bet he'd find it interesting to know that I was under 21!

irish

imported post

Typical gun store commando who knows everything and opens his mouth to prove he knows nothing. You did the right thing by staying calm and trying to educate him.

jfrey123

imported post

Dude, F the Gun Trader. You are 100% right on the Federal Law, and they are hardcore and set in their ways of crappy customer service:

- If you didn't buy it there, you either paid way too much or it's a piece of crap.
- If you aren't planning on buying something new that day, everything you own is a piece of crap.
- If it's not an XD, it's a piece of crap.
- If it's not a Smith revolver, it's a piece of crap.
- If you buy a 1911 for under $1,500, it's a piece of crap.

My specific examples? I was told that a Browning Auto-5 is an old piece of crap (I owned a Magnum 12, it was the Jap model but still...) and that he's never seen one worth more than $150. I was told the Glock I bought at Sportsman's is "an overpriced gun, nothing special" and if I wanted a reliable gun I'd buy an XD (hmmm, Glocks unreliable huh? How long has XD been around now? Still less than 10 years? Ok blow me dude).

It's funny they called you a felon. I personally now of a guy who got a pistol from his dad in California. They wanted to follow Federal law so dad came over to do an official transfer through an FFL, as required by Federal law for private party purchases of a pistol across state lines. Guys there took dad's pistol, handed it to my friend, and said "There ya go, that's how we transfer in Nevada". No background, no nothing. This story is true, and the illegality of it has been confirmed by the Reno Nevada BATFE office.

Thank you very much for what you do! Thanks for visiting our state, and I'm sorry you ran into The Gun Trasher... Oops I mean trader. F THOSE GUYS. Next time you come check out Nevada Armory, Silver State Arms, or Mark Fore and Strike. And you can't leave without going to Scheels just to browse, it is after all the largest sporting good store in America.

wayneco

imported post

The fool factor seems to be high at Gun Trader, I just don't get it, it seems from hearing first person accounts they sound like a bad SNL skit over there.

I've also had my own issues with them.

I can corroborate essentially everything said about them in this thread, if not the specifics, certainly in tone and demeanor. No matter what gun you like, "it's crap" even if in my case, they sold it to you. I've had them dismiss Sig Sauer pistols to me after selling me two at full list price. I've heard from others that Glocks are "cheap plastic crap" and that if you don't buy a gun from them, "nobody else will sell you that gun with a warranty" in the area, only seemingly their guns are warranted. The ridiculousness never ends over there, I just don't know what to make of it, I don't understand how they're still in business.

If you have the time, read the thread Felid Maximus posted the URL to at Nevadashooters.com, it's very illuminating to say the least.

I now shop exclusively at Verdi Armory and Mark Fore and Strike. They are both straight shooters. Verdi Armory has better prices on guns, Mark Fore and Strike has a larger inventory of accessories, I find the two stores very complementary and every loop through Reno includes stopping at both places.

I've shopped at Cabelas and Sheels in the past as well but I do my best to buy from the family run shops first. I won't buy anything gun related from Scheels due to their discrimination against open carry and encourage others to follow my lead. I do buy other things there but not one of my gun dollars will be spent there as long as they bar open carry.

calmp9

imported post

Paratrooper82 wrote:
I am currently on my honeymoon in Reno and decided to do a little browsing while I was here and my wife was occupied. I am 20 years of age, and active duty Army. I had to jump through many hoops in North Carolina to buy a handgun (private sale) under 21, so I know all the applicable Federal Laws and NC laws in regards to this situation.

Let me say this, loud and clear: I had no intention of buying a firearm, nor did I have a firearm in my possession. Zero. None. Nada. This is a complaint purely from a customers point of view.

I found Gun Trader online and entered the store at approximately 1300 hours on July 9th, 2009.

They greeted me, and after finding out I was military (I say sir a lot, apparently) we got into a discussion and I browsed their firearms, and took a look at the 14 round SW MP .45 full size magazines.

I then got in the discussion of how I acquired my S&W M&P .45 ACP fullsize. I mention that I bought it from a person at a gun-show in North Carolina, and that I had to get a pistol purchase permit and jump through some hoops with the Cumberland County Attorney's Office to get that because I was under 21.

Me: "Sir, I hate to tell you you're wrong, but federal law says 18 to possess, 21 to buy from a dealer."
Him: "I do this for a living. And you come in here admitting to a felony, you can just beat feet out of here if you think you know so much. I do this for a damn living."

I could be wrong with a few of the quotes, but that was the general gist of the conversation.

I left the store with no further argument wondering if ignorance really was bliss.

I was not trying to argue Nevada law (because I don't know it) but Federal law. I guess they didn't lose a customer, but they sure as hell didn't show much customer service.

-John
From what I have read, this is par for the course when it comes to the Gun Trader.

puppetmaster

imported post

not a fan of the gun trader
next time go to
U.S. Firearms Academy 294 E. Moana Lane #18

Reno, NV. 89502
US

njeske

imported post

I used to get all my guns and gear at The Gun Trader. Note the "used to"... I too have felt looked down on in there. I've now started going to US Firearms Academy. One of the best gun stores I've ever been to in my opinion.

nomidlname

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
puppetmaster wrote:
next time go to

Reno, NV. 89502
US

Heh... One post? Sure sounds like a shameless plug to me. lol

I bought a scope at US Firearms Academy. They are pretty good, have a great selection for a small store. Nice folks at reasonable prices. No complaints here and my Trijicon ACOG TA11 rocks! :)

Might even buy me a Nightforce scope they have on the shelf :celebrate

Gordie

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
puppetmaster wrote:
next time go to

Reno, NV. 89502
US

Heh... One post? Sure sounds like a shameless plug to me. lol

3 months ago I thought Nevada Armory on Freeport was the best gun shop in town. That was before the last 250 round box of 9mm they held for me. Use to get them for under $60 when they had 'em every day. Then I got put on a list so they could "hold" one out of the next shipment for me. Went in to pay, and was told $87! I respected them for holding the case, so I bought it with only 1 question of the price, but I probably won't be going back.

In their defense, it was 124 gr target ammo and the stuff I bought before so cheap was 115 gr, but I don't get where the extra $.12 per round came into play.

Winchester White Box is over $20 a hundred a Walmart. You got 124 target ammo insteadof the cheapest thingmade, and you complain about the price? Most places would never of held it for you in the first place, first come first served.

I notice that you said you bought it anyway,if it was so overpriced, why didn't you just say "no thanks"?

Gordie

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
Gordie wrote:
I notice that you said you bought it anyway,if it was so overpriced, why didn't you just say "no thanks"?

As stated above, I bought it because they were good enough to hold it for me. Originally one of the owners was ringing me up at a slightly higher price than the $57ish, until one of the workers (maybe the second owner, I dunno) told/reminded him they weren't going to sell it for that low anymore, and then the price was changed.

So, an employee forgot about the price increase, was reminded by another employee or partner, and you feel like you got ripped off. Would you prefer that they lose money on your sale? How long do you think they would stay in business like that?

Here's a news flash, ammo prices have risen dramatically over the last year or two. Even if you had gotten the same thing, it would have likely risen in price a good deal. You got a different type of ammo.
In their defense, it was 124 gr target ammo and the stuff I bought before so cheap was 115 gr, but I don't get where the extra $.12 per round came into play.
These target loads were most likely a higher priced round anyway, coupled with ammo price increases across the board, this is where the extra cost comes in. The only reason that you would have a complaint, would be if they had quoted a price to you for these loads beforehand and then raised the price on you after you agreed to the deal. At which time you could have walked away with no guilt on your part.

Being on a first name basis with the owner because I provided some material at one of his previous shops usually gets you this sort of service

Being on a first name basis with Martin, you should know that he would not rip you off. You should also know that he would understand if you told him that you didn't want to pay that much, and would prefer to pass. Since they had to holdthe ammo for you, for you to get it, it would seem that it would have been easily sold to someone else if you had passed on it.

Myself, being on something more than just a first name basis with Martin (he was a groomsman at my wedding), I canassure you, he does not make a practice of ripping off his customers.
If you guys think a 53% increase in price is ok because of a differnet bullet weight, fine with me.

It wasn't just a different bullet weight. You went from the cheapest ammo that you could get, to "target loads", could these have been match grade?
I'll probably still visit them for my next transfer or firearm purchase.
You tell a story about how you felt that you were mistreated, yet you say that you will still do business with them. On behalf of Martin, his partners, and employees, I will say "thank you for your continued business".

On my own behalf, I ask that you be a little more careful about implying that any business has ripped you off, unless it is undoubtedly true.

What you describe is a 50% increase.Considering thefact that most ammo and components have increased that much or more over the last year (primers that were $30 a thousand a year ago were up to $50 to $60a thousand a couple of months ago, if you could get them at all)a 50% increase in price isn't unreasonable. You should see what has happened to rimfire prices, when you can find it, that is.

Tony Gable

imported post

Paratrooper82 wrote:

-John
I've been in the store a few times and the guy that owns and or runs it is a real POS. I refuse to go inthere anymore as his attitude sucks. I was looking for a certain scope for a rifle and hr told me he doesn't sell JUNK. haven't been back since. The store has a real bad reputation for attitude.

Yard Sale

imported post

I've bought stuff from them and had a firearm I won transferred through them when I had friends work there. But they demand(ed) identification to purchase non-controlled items (magazines). And one worker wasa jerk (not the owner).

Mike In Reno

imported post

i call that place "shit trader" everything that comes out of their mouths is shit, disrespectful, horrible customer service