• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealment Permits in WV

virginiatuck

imported post

Continued from another unrelated thread...

virginiatuck wrote:
... West Virginia only honors *resident* permits of States with which they reciprocate so *you* may not conceal.

TFred
wrote:

Tuck, just so you are up to date (along with the rest of us), in just about an hour and 20 minutes from the time of this post, West Virginia will begin to honor non-resident holders of permits from states with which they reciprocate. :) See http://handgunlaw.us/states/westvirginia.pdf Scroll all the way to the bottom. TFred

I thought I had more questions about this as I tried to verify the information, because I came across SB 378, and SB 148, but finally found that HB 3314 is what the Governor actually signed. So the residency requirement has been removed from out-of-state reciprocity in §61-7-6a. Thanks TFred for the update. I missed that one.

SB 148 was alarming because it actually replaced "deadly weapon" with "pistols and revolvers." I was relieved to learn that it wasn't what was signed into law.

As I understand, a concealed weapons permit in West Virginia is valid for the concealment of all deadly weapons that are legal to possess, not just pistols and revolvers, even for out-of-state permits. Is that correct?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
SB 148 was alarming because it actually replaced "deadly weapon" with "pistols and revolvers." I was relieved to learn that it wasn't what was signed into law.

As I understand, a concealed weapons permit in West Virginia is valid for the concealment of all deadly weapons that are legal to possess, not just pistols and revolvers, even for out-of-state permits. Is that correct?
No. W.Va. Code § 61-7-4(a) has provided since 2000 that "[c]oncealed weapons permits may only be issued for pistols or revolvers." At the time, this sentence was enacted for us to get reciprocity with VA (until 2004, VA's reciprocity law limited reciprocity to states that issued concealed handgun-only permits).

SB 148, which I wrote, did not change that and made purely technical revisions to the terminology throughout the concealed handgun licensing and reciprocity laws; however, it did not become law. HB 3314, which took effect a few minutes ago, provides for the recognition of nonresident licenses in WV. However, for residents and nonresidents alike, only handguns may be concealed. West Virginia's gun laws are not a model of exemplary bill drafting (something which I try to correct incidental to each gun bill I write).