Thread: voice recorders

Post imported post

I'm a Virginian but I visit PA (more specifcally, PGH) a lot every year. I don't have a VA CHP but I do have a NH permit (PA and NH have reciprocity) so I should be fine to CC or OC both in vehicles and on foot.

it is pretty standard practice for VA OCers to carry a digital voice recorder just in case we have any run-ins with law enforcement, so we have a record of what happens.

In VA we are allowed to record conversations we are part of without notifying anyone else, due to how our law is. Only one party has to be notified of the recording, and when we are taking part, we are the party that knows.

Just wondering how PA's law is, if I can do the same while carrying in PA or if I should leave my recorder in the hotel room.

Thanks in advance.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

No need to leave your recorder in your room, but you do have to tell the other party that they are being recorded according to the way the law is written.

Post imported post

Ok thanks for the info!

Post imported post

No need to leave your recorder in your room, but you do have to tell the other party that they are being recorded according to the way the law is written.

That's not exactly true. The other party must have a reasonable expectation of privacy. In public, generally there is none. Commonwealth v henlen

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA