• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

voice recorders

nova

imported post

I'm a Virginian but I visit PA (more specifcally, PGH) a lot every year. I don't have a VA CHP but I do have a NH permit (PA and NH have reciprocity) so I should be fine to CC or OC both in vehicles and on foot.

it is pretty standard practice for VA OCers to carry a digital voice recorder just in case we have any run-ins with law enforcement, so we have a record of what happens.

In VA we are allowed to record conversations we are part of without notifying anyone else, due to how our law is. Only one party has to be notified of the recording, and when we are taking part, we are the party that knows.

Just wondering how PA's law is, if I can do the same while carrying in PA or if I should leave my recorder in the hotel room.

Thanks in advance.

codename_47

imported post

No need to leave your recorder in your room, but you do have to tell the other party that they are being recorded according to the way the law is written.

That's not exactly true. The other party must have a reasonable expectation of privacy. In public, generally there is none. Commonwealth v henlen