• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Japanese Police issued Paintball guns

Dustin

imported post

So they've gone from throwing the silly balls to having what appears to be a single shot paintball gun. The main thing in Japan is that it practically requires an act of god for the cops to use guns, signed in triplicate, and hand delivered by the Emperor himself. So they have to resort to these kinds of unconventional means. What I don't get is that you still have the major problem that, all I need to do is take off my jacket, and now I am untraceable. In Japan most people carry cash, as credit cards are very hard to come by and are not widely used. Thus stealing a purse as indicated in the video nets you quite a bit of money, since carrying around several hundred dollars in cash is common.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=76c_1247247959

:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

It is fantastic!!! I wish we had these for fleeing motorcycles here!! Mark him and other units can easily identify him if he gets out of sight.

The paint ballsplashes all over the place marking clothing and the motorcycle.

For the fleeing motorcycle to remove his coat he needs to stop and do it. This give the police time to catch up. That is IF he even knew he was hit since it does not appear to beas strong as a paint ball gun.

Dustin

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
It creates a fine market for pre-marked, proactively marked, apparel much like the impending market for faux-serialized cartridge components.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

Doug you've changed your SIG a little I see.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
It is fantastic!!! I wish we had these for fleeing motorcycles here!! Mark him and other units can easily identify him if he gets out of sight.

For the fleeing motorcycle to remove his coat he needs to stop and do it. This give the police time to catch up. That is IF he even knew he was hit since it does not appear to beas strong as a paint ball gun.
I wish I had one for idiots in Bayliners and jet skis who don't know what a no wake zone is, or think it's somehow funny to deliberately dump a wake on another boat.

LEO 229

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I wish I had one for idiots in Bayliners and jet skis who don't know what a no wake zone is, or think it's somehow funny to deliberately dump a wake on another boat.
I always thought a laser tag system would be great. Every car is equipped with a sensor and it would cost you some change to tag the car. But when you see a violation ...you and everyone else can tag the car giving it a black mark.

It would take two or more people to tag it around the same time to validate you are not just tagging anyone. You get too many tags and the car is disabled for a period of time or drives slower. :lol:

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Dustin wrote:
So they've gone from throwing the silly balls to having what appears to be a single shot paintball gun. The main thing in Japan is that it practically requires an act of god for the cops to use guns, signed in triplicate, and hand delivered by the Emperor himself. So they have to resort to these kinds of unconventional means.
No. If these are the conventions there, then these methodas are not unconventional. It's simple Logic. You're applying a normative view upon their way of life. That's sociologically arrogant.

We need to get away from the idea that every cop should be carrying a gun. A nightstick and a radio is sufficient. Lord knows, they were positively vicious when they only carried the club. One or two "gun certified" cops can be on duty, and they can be called, using the gun only in the most dire circumstances. It should be a felony for an officer to draw a gun in absence of immediate grave bodily harm.

LEO 229

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
So they've gone from throwing the silly balls to having what appears to be a single shot paintball gun. The main thing in Japan is that it practically requires an act of god for the cops to use guns, signed in triplicate, and hand delivered by the Emperor himself. So they have to resort to these kinds of unconventional means.
No. If these are the conventions there, then these methodas are not unconventional. It's simple Logic. You're applying a normative view upon their way of life. That's sociologically arrogant.

We need to get away from the idea that every cop should be carrying a gun. A nightstick and a radio is sufficient. Lord knows, they were positively vicious when they only carried the club. One or two "gun certified" cops can be on duty, and they can be called, using the gun only in the most dire circumstances. It should be a felony for an officer to draw a gun in absence of immediate grave bodily harm.
Do you really believe only a few cops should be armed with a gun and can be called upon when the time for deadly force is necessary?

The problem with that logic is that it takes time for them to travel to get to the location where they are needed. By the time they do get there and deploy their gun... the situation has already happened.

The armed bad guy is not going to agree to a "time out" while the unarmed cop calls for an armed cop to respond. :lol:

And for you idea that it should be a felony for a cop to draw down on someone where there is no threat of "grave bodily" injury.. that is ludicrous!!

I do find it funny that for a citizen in Virginia to "brandish" a firearm it is a misdemeanor.. but for a cop you would want it to be a felony. :lol:

You will never know what the bad guy is going to do or if he intends to cause bodily harm until he acts. Then you have to "react" and this take longer giving the bad guy the edge where he can shoot and kill you before you even clear leather. :uhoh:

Deadly force would be needed immediately if someone is causing "grave bodily" harm.... this is not the time to show you have a gun... it would be time to actually use it.

I guess you would have them just carry a whistle and blow it at the bad guys while they are getting shot at. They can call 9-1-1 and request armed police to save them. :lol:

You are out of touch with reality!!! :shock:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I basically agree with smoking357 on this.

Of course, how officers choose to arm themselves as individuals off-duty is a right they possess as human beings.

Although, I do think the penalty for brandishing should be the same for all civilians, in and out of uniform. ;)

Edit: LEO229, explain... All of a sudden law enforcement is something other than a purely reactive mechanism?

News to me. They sure did a lot of "gun deployment" at Virginia Tech. Didn't prevent very much, though. :quirky

You know, when the London police first stopped carrying guns (by policy), the British citizen could still arm himself with a concealed handgun on the streets of the city quite legally. Imagine that... armed citizens and disarmed (beat) police. And guess what? Crime not only didn't go up, the number of violent altercations involving police officers (either on the giving or receiving end of the harm) actually decreased.

People could still defend themselves, yet the escalatory effect of armed police was mitigated.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Do you really believe only a few cops should be armed with a gun and can be called upon when the time for deadly force is necessary?
I could swear that I just said something like that.

The problem with that logic is that it takes time for them to travel to get to the location where they are needed. By the time they do get there and deploy their gun... the situation has already happened.
I don't buy it. Either the mythic "situation" occurs before you get there, or you create the situation with your guns and your excessive response. We don't need a million guns for an occasional "situation" that you think could have been stopped with your gun. That harm of police guns far outweigh the benefits.

The armed bad guy is not going to agree to a "time out" while the unarmed cop calls for an armed cop to respond.
That's fine, because the "armed bad guy" only occurs rarely. This is the stuff of television.

And for you idea that it should be a felony for a cop to draw down on someone where there is no threat of "grave bodily" injury.. that is ludicrous!!
The government does not get to wave deadly force around without the most justifiable reasons. Intimidation of the citizen-masters is among the highest crimes a government can commit.

I do find it funny that for a citizen in Virginia to "brandish" a firearm it is a misdemeanor.. but for a cop you would want it to be a felony.
The citizen doesn't act under a grant of governmental authority.

You will never know what the bad guy is going to do or if he intends to cause bodily harm until he acts. Then you have to "react" and this take longer giving the bad guy the edge where he can shoot and kill you before you even clear leather. :uhoh:
I'm not really scared of "the bad guy," and your kind just makes the situation worse. Further, "clear leather?" Gag.

Deadly force would be needed immediately if someone is causing "grave bodily" harm.... this is not the time to show you have a gun... it would be time to actually use it.
Cue some sappy television theme song.

I guess you would have them just carry a whistle and blow it at the bad guys while they are getting shot at. They can call 9-1-1 and request armed police to save them.
Sounds good to me. As we all know, being a cop isn't a terribly dangerous job, so you can dispense with that mythic claim that cops are getting "shot at."

You are out of touch with reality!!!
Actually, I'm fully aware of the reality, and the reality needs to change.

LEO 229

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I basically agree with smoking357 on this.

Of course, how officers choose to arm themselves as individuals off-duty is a right they possess as human beings.

Although, I do think the penalty for brandishing should be the same for all civilians, in and out of uniform. ;)

Edit: LEO229, explain... All of a sudden law enforcement is something other than a purely reactive mechanism?

News to me. They sure did a lot of "gun deployment" at Virginia Tech. Didn't prevent very much, though. :quirky

You know, when the London police first stopped carrying guns (by policy), the British citizen could still arm himself with a concealed handgun on the streets of the city quite legally. Imagine that... armed citizens and disarmed (beat) police. And guess what? Crime not only didn't go up, the number of violent altercations involving police officers (either on the giving or receiving end of the harm) actually decreased.

People could still defend themselves, yet the escalatory effect of armed police was mitigated.
Well gentlemen.... If you and 357think the world is so safe that the police do not need guns on duty where they are more likely to need them... I guess you two will be first in line toturn in your guns.

Obviously.. if the police on duty do not need guns.. citizens do not need them either. :lol:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Obviously.. if the police on duty do not need guns.. citizens do not need them either. :lol:
Obviously to the most CLEO clueless observer. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Where in the Second Amendment is need specified? I know which part of "shall not be infringed" CLEO does not understand, the part where citizens have Rights but cops have flatfeet-powers.

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Obviously to the most CLEO clueless observer. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Where in the Second Amendment is need specified? I know which part of "shall not be infringed" CLEO does not understand, the part where citizens have Rights but cops have flatfeet-powers.
Of course.. But here somewant toprevent the police from being armed but allow themselves to be.

Under the guise that the police are somehow "dangerous"... while the citizens with firearms are too.

Go figure.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Japanese society is extremely homogeneous (that means, for some of our younge members, that almost everybody is the same race, that everybody is of the same culture, everybody follows the same traditions, etc) and there are multiple complex codes of honor and conduct that everyone is expected to follow and everybody knows this. If Leo Fender had been Japanese he would have wound up inventing the electric koto and developing humbucker-pickup equipped samisens and Dick-Clarksan woulld be rocki'n New Year in with obi-clad musicians playing Sakura through fuzz/wah effects. Not to mention the straw mat beds and wooden or stone-block pillows.

Respect for authority in Japan is way, WAY WAY more ingrained than it is here. In Japanese baseball (or "beisbau-ru" an they say - no kidding ) merely questioning an umpire's call can shame a player so badly they VOLUNTARILY QUIT THE GAME sometimes for LIFE. Contrast that with here, where that pig Roberto Algomar SPIT on an ump and was allowed to have his suspension begin in the NEXT season so he could play THAT season's World Series. In Japan he would have been expected to commit seppuku ritual suicide.

Not to say they don't have a lawless element there, but the culture enables quite different policing tactics and strategies than what is needed in an open diverse riotous culture such as what we have in the USA.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I always thought a laser tag system would be great. Every car is equipped with a sensor and it would cost you some change to tag the car. But when you see a violation ...you and everyone else can tag the car giving it a black mark.

It would take two or more people to tag it around the same time to validate you are not just tagging anyone. You get too many tags and the car is disabled for a period of time or drives slower. :lol:

I hada very similaridea, every vehicle should be equiped with a paintball gun, police then could be waiting at expressway exits and busy intersections. They see a vehicle go by with multiple colored paintball markings they will know the guy was driving like an asshat and needs some attention. They got judged by a jury of their peers and they decided he was being a dink while on the road. Problem solved.

Much like an armed society, I bet we see a whole lot more polite driving out there.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

No one has family to tell of the Yellow Star of David badge. How soon we forget. I promise that I would treat all comers equally and tag every car that passed mine.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Tomahawk

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
No one has family to tell of the Yellow Star of David badge. How soon we forget. I promise that I would treat all comers equally and tag every car that passed mine.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits andguns and the truth. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

New version:
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and PAINTBALL guns and the truth.