• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you need a gun in little, quiet Leesburg, VA

nova

imported post

I can't get your link to work but you're probably talking about the thing I just saw on TV.

Just saw a few cops in olive drab and camo, and a sniper with ghillie.

on a side note, I think this paramilitary police stuff needs to go.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

The suspect involved in an armed robbery and barricade/hostage situation in the Town of Leesburg has surrendered to authorities. The two hostages were released and are being medically evaulated at this time but are considered in good condition.

The suspect is now in the custody of the Leesburg Police Department and he is facing multiple felony charges.

Units are currently clearing the scene and residents who were displaced from their homes during this time will be allowed to return in approximately 30 minutes.

Sent to All users, Media Only - Emergency (E-mail accounts, Pagers, Cell phones) through Alert Loudoun

... powered by the Roam Secure Alert Network

Cavymeister

imported post

Of course this is aside from the gun store break-in by people allegedly responsible for the landsdowne murder (which is also technically in Leesburg), and the dual robberies at the in-town BB&T.

I'm begining to think of this town to be quite far from quiet. And, yes, I carry where ever I go.

Neplusultra

imported post

Cavymeister wrote:
Of course this is aside from the gun store break-in by people allegedly responsible for the landsdowne murder (which is also technically in Leesburg), and the dual robberies at the in-town BB&T.

I'm begining to think of this town to be quite far from quiet. And, yes, I carry where ever I go.
I would never have imagined this about Leesburg 20 years ago....

Floyd

imported post

This article has more information about the attempted robbery turned hostage situation that happened on Friday.

The earlier reports of the suspect being confronted by a civilian with a firearm are confirmed and covered in the article as well. Personally, I think he showed good restraint in not returning fire.

http://www.leesburg2day.com/articles/2009/07/13/news/fp122%20summary071109.txt

On a side note, some of the comments on the Loudoun Extra's coverage of the incident show that some people would rather rely on others to protect them than take responsibility themselves. I find it amazing that people are quick to say that "guns are bad", and yet have no problem calling people with guns to come protect them.

http://loudounextra.washingtonpost.com/news/2009/jul/10/leesburg-police-investigating-armed-robbery/

bdodds

imported post

wow.. i was wondering what all the hubbub was about friday.. yeah, there were shots fired down the street from me a week or two ago also, but for the most part leesburg is pretty quiet.. even still, i carry everywhere i go without question..

TFred

imported post

Here's an interesting follow-up to this story.

http://www.breakpoint.org/commentaries/12242-when-crime-hits-home

When Crime Hits Home
The Belote Story
By Mark Earley
August 18, 2009

Just a few weeks ago, Frances Belote, a devout 82-year-old Christian, asked a recently released prisoner a simple question: “Do you know Jesus?”

The ex-prisoner, William Spencer, hesitated before responding, “A long time ago I knew Him, but he’s not there anymore.”

Frances didn’t miss a beat. She said, “If you gave Jesus your heart, He hasn’t gone away. You have.” She placed her hand on Spencer’s shoulder and prayed for him to turn his life around.

Many Prison Fellowship volunteers have similar dialogues with prisoners or those just released from prison. But Frances wasn’t a volunteer, and this wasn’t your typical situation.

You see, Frances and her husband, Bob, had just finished lunch on July 13th when Spencer barged into their Virginia home—minutes from Prison Fellowship’s headquarters—and he was brandishing a gun. Spencer’s journey had begun earlier that day with a botched robbery. Another break-in, another hostage situation, and a stolen jeep later, Spencer had blundered into the Belote’s home.

He forced Frances and Bob into a bathroom, tied them up, and ransacked the house.

Frances, unaware that Spencer could hear her, dialed 911 on her cell phone. But Spencer did hear her, and when he broke down the bathroom door, Frances and Bob thought it was the end.

Meanwhile, Mary Lu Belote, Prison Fellowship’s controller, alerted the staff of PF to pray. Her grandson, 11, usually stays with his great-grandparents, Frances and Bob. By God’s goodness and grace, he wasn’t there that day. As PF staff prayed, God protected Bob and Frances and gave them supernatural peace.

Frances developed a rapport with Spencer. She offered him tea, fixed him cereal, and talked with him. As she did, he calmed down.

By the time hostage negotiators spoke with Spencer on the phone, Frances overheard him say, “This lady is kind of nice. She fed me and prayed for me.”

As Spencer continued to search for a way out, Frances and Bob reasoned with him and convinced him he needed to surrender.

That’s when Spencer said, “One of you can go,” and Frances did. An hour later, and almost eight hours since Spencer’s arrival, he emptied his gun and turned himself in. Bob’s final words to him: “Take care of yourself.”

Frances and Bob demonstrated in every way the grace and peace that believers can have when they come face to face with the unthinkable.

But at Prison Fellowship, we yearn for situations like this to never happen. That’s why we’re so focused every day on reaching men and women while they’re in prison with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to help them change from the inside out, before they get out. And it’s why—with 700,000 prisoners returning to our communities every year—we strive to match a returning prisoner with a mentor, a church, and a job.

And as we go about doing what God commanded—visiting those in prison and sharing the good news—it won’t just make a difference in private attitudes, but in public safety. So that the next time someone like Frances and William meet, it can be across the pew instead of across the barrel of a pistol.