• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC is easier to get the drop on someone

rmansu2

imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/28330.html

Florida Woman Shot in Leg by Bathroom Stall Neighbor
Friday, July 10, 2009
service_ap_36.gif

TAMPA, Fla.— Authorities say a bullet from a gun that was accidentally dropped injured a Tampa woman sitting in a bathroom stall.

Police say the bullet hit 53-year-old Janifer Bliss in the lower left leg. She was taken to a hospital with minor injuries.

Bliss was sitting on the toilet in a hotel bathroom when a woman in the next stall accidentally let her handgun slip out of her waist holster. The weapon discharged when it hit the ground.

Police say the gun belonged to 56-year-old Debra Monce who has a concealed weapons permit.

The case has been referred to the State Attorney's
Office to determine if any charges will be filed.

OC'ers have the same issues as CC in this regard, I posted this on Utah Concealed Carry also.

I'll bet this turns out to be a case of a poorly fitting holster, or removing the firearm from a holster and dropping it while on the john. One of my major peeves is the cheap pouch type holsters that will not safely provide any retention without the strap snapped up or a cheap IWB (clip type) without a belt. When we decide to carry, WE THE CARRIER has the absolute obligation to invest in equipment that is SAFE during all daily routines and activities, this irritates me to tears, as I see people in guns stores buying cheap holsters that will not retain a firearm without the strap firmly in place with the intention of using them for CC.

There was even a discussion on this board (I think?) of carriers stating that they remove a pistol from the holster while using the john.

Folks a good holster and belt combination does not require you to remove your firearm while doing routine daily activities.

Anyone else have any additional info on this?

Oscarr

imported post

I agree totally, it's our responsibility to have the proper safety equipment (good fitting holster, etc). I'd be interested to see if they end up charging her or not.

And regardless, the anti's will use this to further their cause.

FreeCitizen

imported post

Oscarr wrote:
And regardless, the anti's will use this to further their cause.
Exactly what I was thinking. The media will be climbing over each other to make this another case against carrying guns. Its a shame that a few stupid people, who do no have enough common sense to secure their firearm in their holster, give the talking heads ammo to fight against those of us who know how to properly secure our weapons.

Oscarr

imported post

That seems how most laws are passed these days, "ahhhh millions of people do [insert act here] all day everyday, but something bad happened once, lets limit/forbid it?!?!?"

Take for example the news story about those people desecrating graves and reusing them for money. Ya, it sucks, those people need the shit kicked out of them, but one of the FBI (or local sheriff, i forget) was at a news conferencing talking about needing more government oversight for funeral homes. I mean really, out of alllll the funeral homes in America, and all these years, and ONE bad thing happens, and you're gonna punish everyone for it?

I'm of the opinion it comes down to either a) power/control, the fed.gov loves their power and control and any excuse to give them more is good enough and b) re-elections, "look! i got unneeded_law_03987 passed! I did something while in office! re-elect me!"

It's getting really sickening and disheartening.

Woooo sorry for the rant there lol :(

Mississippian

imported post

Unless I missed something, the title is very mis-leading...

Anyway, for those of us who travel and have to do the #2 in public restrooms that do not have a divider that goes all the way down to the floorare sometimes forced to unholster the gun or have it flop to where someone in the next stall over could see or even possably grab it.

charlie12

imported post

I know some people get stupid when you talk about training because OC is a right. But if you CC or OC you still need to have enough of a brain to carry a gun and some people just do get it.

She probably had a cheap holster cheap gun and didn't know too much about how to handle a gun. Lucky she hasn't killed somebody.

rmansu2

imported post

Mississippian wrote:
Unless I missed something, the title is very mis-leading...
It was meant to be a somewhat humorous title. Some of the CC'ers say that CC is the only way to carry. Just trying to make a point that even though you CC and have taken classes it doesn't make you any safer if you are not responsible with your firearm.

sraacke

imported post

FishingBack wrote:
What model of firearm goes off when you drop it?
My old Star BM 9mm for one. It hit the ground once and fired. Single action pistol withNo firing pin block on it.Gun discharged downinto a parking lot. Sent little bits of concrete into my girlfriend's legs. That was a fun date with tweezers and hydrogen peroxide.

sraacke

imported post

Oscarr wrote:
yale wrote:
... Sent little bits of concrete into my girlfriend's legs. That was a fun date with tweezers and hydrogen peroxide.
Ya'll still together? ;) What's her opinion on guns now?
No. We parted ways a few months later. That was back in about 1994. As far as I know, no different.