• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wausau Wisconsin Storm Troopers... er I mean police making up the rules as they go

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,531525,00.html

Chris Ahmuty said.

"It is not often that you see something this blatant," Ahmuty said.

In mid-June, Congine, 46, began flying the flag upside down — an accepted way to signal distress — outside the restaurant he wants to open in Crivitz, a village of about 1,000 people some 65 miles north of Green Bay.

He said his distress is likely bankruptcy because the village board refused to grant him a liquor license after he spent nearly $200,000 to buy and remodel a downtown building for an Italian supper club.

Congine's upside-down-flag represents distress to him; to others in town, it represents disrespect of the flag.

Hours before a Fourth of July parade, four police officers went to Congine's property and removed the flag under the advice of Marinette County District Attorney Allen Brey.

Neighbor Steven Klein watched in disbelief.

"I said, 'What are you doing?' Klein said. "They said, 'It is none of your business."'

The next day, police returned the flag.

Brey declined comment Friday.

Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula said it was not illegal to fly the flag upside down but people were upset and it was the Fourth of July.

"It is illegal to cause a disruption," he said.

The parade went on without any problems, Kanikula said.

Village President John Deschane, 60, an Army veteran who served in Vietnam, said many people in town believe it's disrespectful to fly the flag upside down.

"If he wants to protest, let him protest but find a different way to do it," Deschane said.

Congine, a Marine veteran who served in Iraq in 2004, said he intends to keep flying the flag upside down.

"It is pretty bad when I go and fight a tyrannical government somewhere else," Congine said, "and then I come home to find it right here at my front door."

trailblazer2003

imported post

I just saw this online. What a shamefully display of the government violating this mans rights and for trespassing and stealing his property. I wonder what the headlines would have read if he had tried to put up another flag, or had tried to "stop" them from lower it in the first place?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I remember a poster here mentioning going to Wausau to OC, looks like maybe a trip to Crivitz is in order.....

Elysium

imported post

Whoa Whoa Whoa. The news story is from theWausau press. Crivitz is quite East of Wausau, over an hour away. No Wausau Stormtroopers on this story. Just wanted to make sure the facts are strait. I suggest changing the headline of the thread.

"In mid-June, Congine, 46, began flying the flag upside down — an accepted way to signal distress — outside the restaurant he wants to open in Crivitz, a village of about 1,000 people some 65 miles north of Green Bay."

No where near wausau. But I would love to see an open carry event in Wausau or Point

Sgt_Habz

imported post

I think making the trip to OC in Crivitz is a moot point, but as a proponent of the Constitution I would certainly like to see an organized response to this, such as contacting the police chief and making our displeasure known.

Every time we let these kinds of actions go unanswered, it undermines all efforts to ensure our rights and liberties are respected (whether they be freedom of speech, or the right to bear arms, we cite the same source).

Pal

imported post

:monkeyprotias wrote:
I'd be up for an OC event in Wausau.
When are you going to OC in Wausau? If you do, this is the first time someone does in Marathon County.

I would like to see someone OC in Wausau.

Thanks for your time, and carry on.:celebrate

protias

imported post

Pal wrote:
protias wrote:
I'd be up for an OC event in Wausau.
When are you going to OC in Wausau? If you do, this is the first time someone does in Marathon County.

I would like to see someone OC in Wausau.

Thanks for your time, and carry on.:celebrate
I'm planning one in Wisconsin Dells. I don't know Wausau at all and I don't have the time to plan another event at the moment.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,531525,00.html

In mid-June, Congine, 46, began flying the flag upside down — an accepted way to signal distress — outside the restaurant he wants to open in Crivitz, ...
Hours before a Fourth of July parade, four police officers went to Congine's property and removed the flag under the advice of Marinette County District Attorney Allen Brey.

A man ought to be able to fly the flag upside down if he wants to.

This is the United States of America!

DA Allen Brey and the police officers need a refresher course in the U.S. Constitution.

And they do it in the unemployment line. They should be fired immediately. :cuss:

Elysium

imported post

Even though this story has nothing to do with wausau, lets plan an oc event there.lets set a date to OC on the 400 block downtown or the grass triangle in front of the courthouse.Late august or early september? howbout aug 29th ?

JG

imported post

Whats a little dumpy town like Crivitz doing with four cops? The Pop. only 1K people. Then again you got to remember cops in places like this are only paid about 20 or 25K a year. You cant get real cops for that kind of money. I would be afraid to go there and OC, because they may not knowyou even have a OC law.

Sorry for mouthing off, I really get pissed over these wanna be cops in little towns like this:cuss:.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I used to hunt in Crivitz. That implies past tense, meaning I'm done with that town. You are right though, why does Crivitz have four cops? My home town of 1,400 has 2.5 cops (and one car).

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I am very familiar with a larger community and its accredited PD. The PD's sworn manning level is set by ordinance at 2.3 per thousand population when I last looked some years ago.

Here, we have ~400 minimum residents and ~3000 maximum when the 'resorters' are here for the summer. We have two town cops.