0 0%
  • Register th ones may be able to trace to you

6 8.45%
  • Lock and load, it's right around the corner

15 21.13%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun registration starts tomorrow

Post imported post

Supposeyou were ordered by law to register any and all firearms with the Feds tomorrow. What do you suppose the NRA would tell it's members to do?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Pay the NRA $50 per gun to have it registered with the NRA and they'll keep your personal information secure.

Post imported post

well, I cast only the second vote so it's hard to tell which way this poll will go but I would surmise that not many people would expect the NRA to do the right thing.

I am an NRA member and have been for years and likely will continue to be, but I have limited respect for the NRA's ability to resist the temptation to "go along to get along" tact.

I am glad that they are suing some of the major cities that are thumbing their municipal noses at the Heller ruling. Hence the NRA is serving a useful purpose and in my estimation they are rebuilding to some extent the skeptical assessment that many pro-freedom activists have of them/us.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Tack, like sailing a course

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tact

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Tack, like sailing a course

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tact
    Yes! "tack" is what I meant. thanks

Post imported post

Not gonna let it happen
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

I have no doubt that the NRA (Negotiate Rights Away) would tell us all to register everything we have.

Post imported post

If the NRA didn't tell us to do what we're told they could no longer claim their members are "Law Abiding Citizens" (LACkies).

Oh noes! Then what would they do!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I'll take the minority position and say that the NRA would suggest civil disobedience. I just can't see acceptance of registration by the board and membership. I think the NRA leadership would realize that suggesting obedience to national registration would be corporate suicide.

Fortunately gun owners are in a very strong position now to influence national politics and further national gun control laws especially something as onerous as national registration are not likely for some time. Not all the credit for this situation is due to the NRA, partly it may be in spite of the NRA, but its playing an important part.

Post imported post

Here's my guess: they'd say "none of the above". The NRA would say registration is wrong, un-constitutional, and that they'll fight it all the way to the Supreme Court. But they would also say the response of the individual is personal, a matter of conscience, and not something the NRA should give marching orders about. They would have to take that tack (did I get it right, Doug?) to prevent jeopardizing their existence, because if they suggested something illegal, the gov't would have more ammo to use against them.

Post imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Here's my guess: they'd say "none of the above". The NRA would say registration is wrong, un-constitutional, and that they'll fight it all the way to the Supreme Court. But they would also say the response of the individual is personal, a matter of conscience, and not something the NRA should give marching orders about. They would have to take that tack (did I get it right, Doug?) to prevent jeopardizing their existence, because if they suggested something illegal, the gov't would have more ammo to use against them.

My guess is they would avoid the topic of people ignoring the law as much as possible.

They would fight it, and in the end compromise like they always do. Registration for everyobody would be reduced to registration for some unfortunate people the NRA deems less worthy of freedom, maybe people with traffic tickets or anyone who has ever been arrested, no matter why, or something like that.

Those people would very shortly thereafter have their guns confiscated, and NRA would ignore the fact that they enabled it.

For an idea of how the NRA would react, look to NFA 34 or GCA 68. If you think you have a right to own a full-auto firearm, for instance, NRA isn't interested in you. By the time they are done they will be reduced to only representing rifle-owners, or maybe even have to rename themselves to the "National Harsh Language Association."

Post imported post

they would tell everyone to register--without a doubt in my mind.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I'll take the minority position and say that the NRA would suggest civil disobedience. I just can't see acceptance of registration by the board and membership. I think the NRA leadership would realize that suggesting obedience to national registration would be corporate suicide.

Fortunately gun owners are in a very strong position now to influence national politics and further national gun control laws especially something as onerous as national registration are not likely for some time. Not all the credit for this situation is due to the NRA, partly it may be in spite of the NRA, but its playing an important part.
    The NRA would never suggest that the people prepare for a fight....it would be corporate suicide for them to do so, because the feds would be down on them.

mass civil disobedience would also never work--martial law would be declared, the Constitution would finally be officially suspended--it has been unofficially suspended for some time, and troops would be on the streets and the result would still be the same...the people would either have to take it and allow registration and subsequent confiscation or it could conceivably lead to an internal civil war when the federal government moves in anyway.

The NRA would tell it's members to comply with the law "while they fight it out in court." This is my opinion.

Banned

Post imported post

Would " we the people " support human sacrifice of a member from each home inorder to fight global warming ?

And yet we are divided .

The nation to our north has lost this legal battle of registration . The battle plan of the enemy is not a secret .

And yet we are divided .

Went to the VA hospital yesterday and got upsetabout the four large written anti Second Amendment door stickers at the entrance . Had discussions going in the waiting area and the nurses stations . However I was quiet until after the needle and then she told me another guy was complaining a couple weeks ago . This guy told her that he hated leaving his gun at home .

And yet we are divided .

Let's all blame the NRA .

Post imported post

One of the purposes of the Second Amendment is to give the States and Citizens a means to fight back against an overly ambitious Federal Government (Commentary #46 of The Federalist Papers). Therefore, a Federal Registration scheme is NOT logical. I WOULD NOT do it.

Some of my friends think thatthe Fedshavepassed the pointofus needing non-violent measures to deal with them. One said that if someone came up and said: "Let's take out Congress, come on!", he would be there with his rifle. Thisperson is a very calm, religious, family man who is over 65.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    If the NRA didn't tell us to do what we're told they could no longer claim their members are "Law Abiding Citizens" (LACkies).

Oh noes! Then what would they do!

Ha!

But you are right. The NRA would never, ever issue a call to arms or defiance.

Lackies, I must remember that...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:
    Lackies, I must remember that...
    I prefer to be called a "peacable citizen".

Which makes me a PeCker, but that's still better than a LACkie.

There's a speech in Team America similar to this...

Post imported post

Just waiting for the next Paul Revere,,,,
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Why would anybody listen to the NRA?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Why would anybody listen to the NRA?
    You mean other than the congressworms whose pockets the NRA lines?

Post imported post

Many interesting points have been raised in this thread, but there is a critical element missing. For the premise to be valid, the prior action (or words) of the NRA must be known. In other words, what did the NRA do during the passage of the legislation that caused the premise to be valid?

Some of the posts that speak against the NRA present the point of "go along to get along," or "compromise." The arena that the NRA plays in is the political arena, and those are de riguer for success in that arena. Failing at that will disarm the NRA in the political arena, whether we like it or not.

I have seen the NRA blamed for allowing specific laws to be passed, or for allowing a President to be elected! In other words, the NRA continually gets blamed for "allowing" such events. The NRA represents gun owners, but the reality is that the "clout" is most likely based on the membership number of ~4,000,000. With the US Population currently at ~307,000,000 some people expect a group the size of 4/300th of the population to be able to truly effect change without compromise.
    It ain't gonna happen. "No compromise" can be replaced with "no effect." In politics, unless operating with a clear majority, compromise is the only way to effect change.

To answer the question accurately, we must first know "how did we get there?' Many responses are more accurately presented as the answer to the "how did we get there" question, concerning actions by the NRA to "compromise" on regulation, but the ensuing compromise would invalidate the OP premise of regulation.

Other than the obvious anti-NRA troll nature of the OP premise and question, I would see a different question as proper:

Without the reported political clout wielded by the NRA, where would we already be with firearms regulations?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Has "Air Force One " set down in Mombasa, Kenya yet ? Surely "El Presidente" plans on visiting his relatives in Kenya while touring Africa. NO ! Not yet ?

I wonder WHY .....?

When the REAL birth certificate is released to the American public - I will consider registering my guns.......I'm not too concerned about either event happening.

Post imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
    Just waiting for the next Paul Revere,,,,
    Paul Revere fell into the hands of the enemy....

Post imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:

Has "Air Force One " set down in Mombasa, Kenya yet ? Surely "El Presidente" plans on visiting his relatives in Kenya while touring Africa. NO ! Not yet ?

I wonder WHY .....?

When the REAL birth certificate is released to the American public - I will consider registering my guns.......I'm not too concerned about either event happening.
    Seriously?

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    SANDCREEK wrote:
    Â*

Has "Air Force One " set down in Mombasa, Kenya yet ?Â*Â* SurelyÂ* "El Presidente" plans on visiting his relatives in KenyaÂ* while touring Africa.Â*Â* NO !Â*Â* Not yet ?Â*

I wonder WHY .....?

When the REAL birth certificate is released to the American public - I will consider registering my guns.Â*Â*......I'm not too concerned about either event happening.
    Seriously?
    lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast