• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun registration starts tomorrow

Would the NRA tell it's members to:

• Obey the law, register them all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't register any of your guns

• Register only your long guns

• Register only your handguns

• Register th ones may be able to trace to you

• Lock and load, it's right around the corner

• Total voters

wrightme

imported post

Many interesting points have been raised in this thread, but there is a critical element missing. For the premise to be valid, the prior action (or words) of the NRA must be known. In other words, what did the NRA do during the passage of the legislation that caused the premise to be valid?

Some of the posts that speak against the NRA present the point of "go along to get along," or "compromise." The arena that the NRA plays in is the political arena, and those are de riguer for success in that arena. Failing at that will disarm the NRA in the political arena, whether we like it or not.

I have seen the NRA blamed for allowing specific laws to be passed, or for allowing a President to be elected! In other words, the NRA continually gets blamed for "allowing" such events. The NRA represents gun owners, but the reality is that the "clout" is most likely based on the membership number of ~4,000,000. With the US Population currently at ~307,000,000 some people expect a group the size of 4/300th of the population to be able to truly effect change without compromise.
It ain't gonna happen. "No compromise" can be replaced with "no effect." In politics, unless operating with a clear majority, compromise is the only way to effect change.

To answer the question accurately, we must first know "how did we get there?' Many responses are more accurately presented as the answer to the "how did we get there" question, concerning actions by the NRA to "compromise" on regulation, but the ensuing compromise would invalidate the OP premise of regulation.

Other than the obvious anti-NRA troll nature of the OP premise and question, I would see a different question as proper:

Without the reported political clout wielded by the NRA, where would we already be with firearms regulations?

SANDCREEK

imported post

Has "Air Force One " set down in Mombasa, Kenya yet ? Surely "El Presidente" plans on visiting his relatives in Kenya while touring Africa. NO ! Not yet ?

I wonder WHY .....?

When the REAL birth certificate is released to the American public - I will consider registering my guns.......I'm not too concerned about either event happening.

Tomahawk

imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:
Has "Air Force One " set down in Mombasa, Kenya yet ? Surely "El Presidente" plans on visiting his relatives in Kenya while touring Africa. NO ! Not yet ?

I wonder WHY .....?

When the REAL birth certificate is released to the American public - I will consider registering my guns.......I'm not too concerned about either event happening.
Seriously?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SANDCREEK wrote:

Has "Air Force One " set down in Mombasa, Kenya yet ?   Surely  "El Presidente" plans on visiting his relatives in Kenya  while touring Africa.   NO !   Not yet ? 

I wonder WHY .....?

When the REAL birth certificate is released to the American public - I will consider registering my guns.  ......I'm not too concerned about either event happening.
Seriously?
lol

N00blet45

imported post

What was their reaction to the gun confiscation in New Orleans after Katrina? Yea, they won their case but did they tell the citizens to resist? If they did I don't remember it.

I believe they'd fuss and gripe but they'd tell their members to go along with it. After all registration means you still get to keep your rifles. They aren't exactly hardcore on the firearms issues. They seem to be more the casual firearms-rights organization concerned mainly with hunting rifles and competition shooting. Maybe this mentality has changed but I remain skeptical.

Perhaps the NRA needs to be the soft organization that can act as the civil face of the pro-firearms movement while more gritty and non-compromising groups act as the muscle.

wrightme

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
What was their reaction to the gun confiscation in New Orleans after Katrina? Yea, they won their case but did they tell the citizens to resist? If they did I don't remember it.
Under the circumstances of Katrina, what would have been the outcome of the NRA telling citizens to resist?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

wrightme wrote:
Under the circumstances of Katrina, what would have been the outcome...
Hypothetical and argumentative. Prescriptive and normative statements, characterized by 'would', 'should', and 'could', are without inherent truth value, are not falsifiable and are not scientific.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

wrightme

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
wrightme wrote:
Under the circumstances of Katrina, what would have been the outcome...
Hypothetical and argumentative. Prescriptive and normative statements, characterized by 'would', 'should', and 'could', are without inherent truth value, are not falsifiable and are not scientific.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.
Which is the same method this thread was created with.

Further, I was not argumentative, but inquisitive. It is not a scientific discussion, but a political and subjective one.

So, what would have been the (likely) outcome had the NRA told the residents of New Orleans to resist when LE attempted to confiscate their firearms?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

wrightme wrot

So, what would have been the (likely) outcome had the NRA told the residents of New Orleans to resist when LE attempted to confiscate their firearms?
Less looting I bet!!!:celebrate

Better question what would have been the result of the people in the stadium who
wanted to leave if they had their guns with them. Bet they would have been allowed.

wrightme

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
wrightme wrot

Less looting I bet!!!:celebrate

Better question what would have been the result of the people in the stadium who
wanted to leave if they had their guns with them. Bet they would have been allowed.

Well, if the residents had been allowed to keep their firearms, yes. But, from reports, the firearms being confiscated were being taken at gunpoint, or under color of law.

The question I asked was not what would have been the likely outcome if citizens were allowed to keep their firearms, but what would have been the likely outcome if the NRA told citizens to resist firearm confiscation. So far, no one has bothered to address this.

WheelGun

imported post

I don't need a lobbying organization to tell me how to defend myself, the same way I don't needpermission from a music label producer to sing their songs in the shower.

The NRA has a curious habit of going silent at the most critical times, but they do come back in the aftermath to help sort things out and prevent a repeat.

They have their place.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

They did get the court to agree the guns that are now destroyed should be
returned though.
That should be worth something.:cuss:

It is a shame they get solicitors who don't know what is going on, got a
phone call for donations, and kept telling them when the NRA takes a stand and
quits allowing encroachment on some so others can be free to call back.
I don't hunt, I do reserve the right to overthrow an oppressive tyrant,
as does Hillery so I am on safe ground.

Alexcabbie

imported post

BRO-THER! I read the title of this thread and my freaking head almost exploded.

There are a lot of people here who have "inside info", and such a title is panic-inducing. DONT DO THIS TO US!!

Next time, start like: "what if" or supposing OR atleast put a disclaimer in the subhead. There are enough for-real Chicken Littles around, don't yall think?

Tomahawk

imported post

wrightme wrote:
The question I asked was not what would have been the likely outcome if citizens were allowed to keep their firearms, but what would have been the likely outcome if the NRA told citizens to resist firearm confiscation. So far, no one has bothered to address this.

If the NRA told those people to resist, most of them probably wouldn't have. When it's you against 20 cops you have little chance.

Some people might have resisted. If they resisted alone as individuals, see above. 1 guy vs. 20 guys, maybe with SWAT gear, do the math.

If the resistors band together to confront the confiscators, things get more complicated. As Waco showed, prepared, armed people can repulse a SWAT team, provided the SWAT team are unprepared for real resistance, or are a bunch of mustachioed idiots like the BATF were.

But in the end, weight of numbers and time works against the resistors. Beat back one SWAT team, they return with more cops, perhaps from out of state, perhaps National Guardsmen or feds.

Worse, the media propaganda machine will shift into high gear and paint them as a bunch of right-wing nuts in about 2 seconds flat. The general American public will buy it completely, as with Waco. The jerk from America's Most Wanted will tell people how evil these people are.

And the NRA will get a publicity black eye, and some of it's leaders maybe arrested for fomenting rebellion or obstructing justice or some other nonsense.

No way would the NRA ever tell people to rebel or resist, ever, unless the thing is already done and won. NRA doesn't stick its neck out.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The NRA wouldn't tell people to resist. The only reason that I use the NRA for is getting information and possible legal assistance, and they do alott more than I could on a national and legal level, so I am a member.

Some people look at the NRA as a big entity thats extremely powerful and debla debla. No it's not. We the people are powerful.The NRAcan inform us but not tell us what to do..... thats not their job nor would I want it to be. We each have to make the desicion for oursleves, if the NRA did say something stupid likesay "don't register any of your firearms"then their statmentmight affect my decision 1% because the other 99% of reasoning I'll do will be weighing the con's and the pro's of not registering. I will not register period. But that doesn't mean I wont think about the pros and cons, it would be ignorant not to.....

By the way here are a coupel serial numbers on my guns.

xk6yrv8

b12tr9

LMAO GOTCHA!

Ben

Chaingun81

imported post

wrightme wrote:
Many interesting points have been raised in this thread, but there is a critical element missing. For the premise to be valid, the prior action (or words) of the NRA must be known. In other words, what did the NRA do during the passage of the legislation that caused the premise to be valid?

Some of the posts that speak against the NRA present the point of "go along to get along," or "compromise." The arena that the NRA plays in is the political arena, and those are de riguer for success in that arena. Failing at that will disarm the NRA in the political arena, whether we like it or not.

I have seen the NRA blamed for allowing specific laws to be passed, or for allowing a President to be elected! In other words, the NRA continually gets blamed for "allowing" such events. The NRA represents gun owners, but the reality is that the "clout" is most likely based on the membership number of ~4,000,000. With the US Population currently at ~307,000,000 some people expect a group the size of 1/300th of the population to be able to truly effect change without compromise.
It ain't gonna happen. "No compromise" can be replaced with "no effect." In politics, unless operating with a clear majority, compromise is the only way to effect change.

To answer the question accurately, we must first know "how did we get there?' Many responses are more accurately presented as the answer to the "how did we get there" question, concerning actions by the NRA to "compromise" on regulation, but the ensuing compromise would invalidate the OP premise of regulation.

Other than the obvious anti-NRA troll nature of the OP premise and question, I would see a different question as proper:

Without the reported political clout wielded by the NRA, where would we already be with firearms regulations?
+100