• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun registration starts tomorrow

Would the NRA tell it's members to:

• Obey the law, register them all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't register any of your guns

• Register only your long guns

• Register only your handguns

• Register th ones may be able to trace to you

• Lock and load, it's right around the corner

• Total voters

rodbender

imported post

Supposeyou were ordered by law to register any and all firearms with the Feds tomorrow. What do you suppose the NRA would tell it's members to do?

6L6GC

imported post

well, I cast only the second vote so it's hard to tell which way this poll will go but I would surmise that not many people would expect the NRA to do the right thing.

I am an NRA member and have been for years and likely will continue to be, but I have limited respect for the NRA's ability to resist the temptation to "go along to get along" tact.

I am glad that they are suing some of the major cities that are thumbing their municipal noses at the Heller ruling. Hence the NRA is serving a useful purpose and in my estimation they are rebuilding to some extent the skeptical assessment that many pro-freedom activists have of them/us.

rpyne

imported post

I have no doubt that the NRA (Negotiate Rights Away) would tell us all to register everything we have.

Tomahawk

imported post

If the NRA didn't tell us to do what we're told they could no longer claim their members are "Law Abiding Citizens" (LACkies).

Oh noes! Then what would they do!

oh-noes.jpg

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'll take the minority position and say that the NRA would suggest civil disobedience. I just can't see acceptance of registration by the board and membership. I think the NRA leadership would realize that suggesting obedience to national registration would be corporate suicide.

Fortunately gun owners are in a very strong position now to influence national politics and further national gun control laws especially something as onerous as national registration are not likely for some time. Not all the credit for this situation is due to the NRA, partly it may be in spite of the NRA, but its playing an important part.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's my guess: they'd say "none of the above". The NRA would say registration is wrong, un-constitutional, and that they'll fight it all the way to the Supreme Court. But they would also say the response of the individual is personal, a matter of conscience, and not something the NRA should give marching orders about. They would have to take that tack (did I get it right, Doug?) to prevent jeopardizing their existence, because if they suggested something illegal, the gov't would have more ammo to use against them.

Tomahawk

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Here's my guess: they'd say "none of the above". The NRA would say registration is wrong, un-constitutional, and that they'll fight it all the way to the Supreme Court. But they would also say the response of the individual is personal, a matter of conscience, and not something the NRA should give marching orders about. They would have to take that tack (did I get it right, Doug?) to prevent jeopardizing their existence, because if they suggested something illegal, the gov't would have more ammo to use against them.

My guess is they would avoid the topic of people ignoring the law as much as possible.

They would fight it, and in the end compromise like they always do. Registration for everyobody would be reduced to registration for some unfortunate people the NRA deems less worthy of freedom, maybe people with traffic tickets or anyone who has ever been arrested, no matter why, or something like that.

Those people would very shortly thereafter have their guns confiscated, and NRA would ignore the fact that they enabled it.

For an idea of how the NRA would react, look to NFA 34 or GCA 68. If you think you have a right to own a full-auto firearm, for instance, NRA isn't interested in you. By the time they are done they will be reduced to only representing rifle-owners, or maybe even have to rename themselves to the "National Harsh Language Association."

suntzu

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I'll take the minority position and say that the NRA would suggest civil disobedience. I just can't see acceptance of registration by the board and membership. I think the NRA leadership would realize that suggesting obedience to national registration would be corporate suicide.

Fortunately gun owners are in a very strong position now to influence national politics and further national gun control laws especially something as onerous as national registration are not likely for some time. Not all the credit for this situation is due to the NRA, partly it may be in spite of the NRA, but its playing an important part.
The NRA would never suggest that the people prepare for a fight....it would be corporate suicide for them to do so, because the feds would be down on them.

mass civil disobedience would also never work--martial law would be declared, the Constitution would finally be officially suspended--it has been unofficially suspended for some time, and troops would be on the streets and the result would still be the same...the people would either have to take it and allow registration and subsequent confiscation or it could conceivably lead to an internal civil war when the federal government moves in anyway.

The NRA would tell it's members to comply with the law "while they fight it out in court." This is my opinion.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Would " we the people " support human sacrifice of a member from each home inorder to fight global warming ?

And yet we are divided .

The nation to our north has lost this legal battle of registration . The battle plan of the enemy is not a secret .

And yet we are divided .

Went to the VA hospital yesterday and got upsetabout the four large written anti Second Amendment door stickers at the entrance . Had discussions going in the waiting area and the nurses stations . However I was quiet until after the needle and then she told me another guy was complaining a couple weeks ago . This guy told her that he hated leaving his gun at home .

And yet we are divided .

Let's all blame the NRA .

Don Barnett

imported post

One of the purposes of the Second Amendment is to give the States and Citizens a means to fight back against an overly ambitious Federal Government (Commentary #46 of The Federalist Papers). Therefore, a Federal Registration scheme is NOT logical. I WOULD NOT do it.

Some of my friends think thatthe Fedshavepassed the pointofus needing non-violent measures to deal with them. One said that if someone came up and said: "Let's take out Congress, come on!", he would be there with his rifle. Thisperson is a very calm, religious, family man who is over 65.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
If the NRA didn't tell us to do what we're told they could no longer claim their members are "Law Abiding Citizens" (LACkies).

Oh noes! Then what would they do!

oh-noes.jpg
Ha!

But you are right. The NRA would never, ever issue a call to arms or defiance.

Lackies, I must remember that...