• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend and I applied for our permits today

chris in va

imported post

Finally. 6 month wait, take the class then wait for our certificates. Fortunately we got them in 5 days.

Now the wait. $40 each to the SP, $25 for the sherriff. The lady came over to the waiting room with a digital camera and took our pictures.:lol:

She's open carried a couple times but can't get the nerve up to do it all the time. Surprising as she's originally from New Jersey and is quite the 'social butterfly'.

KY_CCDW

imported post

mnick426 wrote:
i dont know why you waited 6 months.. i took the gun safety course1 month after i moved here. all i had to do was show my ky drivers license.. even the 3 month wait to buy a handgun i bought 2 weeks after i got here..all you need to show to the sheriff iscopy of certificate and ky drivers license.. i was never aske how long id lived here. less things have changed in a year..
Most places here aren't anal about it. Lexington/Louisville might be a different story.

chris in va

imported post

i dont know why you waited 6 months
Because it's the law? I called three stores and various gun ranges, they all told me I had to wait 6 months after getting my drivers license.

Per the State Police site...
Be a resident of Kentucky for at least six months prior to filing the application or a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is on active duty, who is at the time of application assigned to a military posting in Kentucky, and who has been assigned to a posting in Kentucky for six months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application;

KY_CCDW

imported post

chris in va wrote:
i dont know why you waited 6 months
Because it's the law? I called three stores and various gun ranges, they all told me I had to wait 6 months after getting my drivers license.

Per the State Police site...
Be a resident of Kentucky for at least six months prior to filing the application or a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is on active duty, who is at the time of application assigned to a military posting in Kentucky, and who has been assigned to a posting in Kentucky for six months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application;
You have to be a resident to make application with the Sheriff, but you can take the class anytime, and you don't have to be a resident to do so.

KY_CCDW

imported post

mnick426 wrote:
mnick426 wrote:
read what i posted.. if its a enforceable law then why did i get itmonth after moving here.lol i hope people moving here to ky dont make the same mistake waiting 6 months.. gun stores all told me the same thing about the wait my instructor told me different and he was right
You're SUPPOSED to wait six months to apply with the Sheriff. If you didn't then the Sheriff messed up. Not sure if you would be prosecuted unless you mis-represented your residency to the sheriff.

Come to think of it, I believe you have to sign a paper that states your ARE a resident when you apply, so yes, YOU could be prosecuted indeed.

I think the charge would be perjury, or similar.

nick1207

imported post

mnick426 wrote: show me where it says on the app for ccw you have to wait 6 months.. are a you lawyer ? and i commited what? dont say the sheriffs office made a mistake... duh.. if you live here and you hav an address and ky license, car is reg heredoesnt that make you resident?

KY_CCDW

imported post

mnick426 wrote:
mnick426 wrote: show me where it says on the app for ccw you have to wait 6 months.. are a you lawyer ? and i commited what? dont say the sheriffs office made a mistake
I'm NOT an attorney, are you? Last time I saw the application, it had a section asking if you were a resident of the county. Even if it doesn't say that now, that's still the law according to: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/110.PDF

Ignorance is not an excuse to violate the law. Just because the sheriff goofed and didn't ask you for proof of residency, and if indeed you are not a resident, you have apparently violated the statute and your permit may not be valid. Will it be prosecuted? I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT. Does that mean you should be proud if you scammed the sheriff? No.

nick1207

imported post

sherriff never goofed i dont violate the laws beacuse your stupid dont take it out on me.. ksp thats not the app

KY_CCDW

imported post

mnick426 wrote:
sherriff never goofed i dont violate the laws beacuse your supid dont take it out on me.. ksp thats not the app
I'm stupid? What because I abide by the law and I know how to spell?

Whether or not its on the application, the law says you need to be a resident. What part of that isn't getting through to you?

nick1207

imported post

i never picked no argument i only said how it was when i moved to ky.. you said i commited perjury.. misrepresented myself (a liar) i wasn' even addressing you in the forum. ive held 5 ccw's from different states so i know more than you.. lol just beacuse you stood infront of your calendar scratchingoff180 days like an dufus dont get pissed at me

hotrod

imported post

chris in va wrote:
Finally. 6 month wait, take the class then wait for our certificates. Fortunately we got them in 5 days.

Now the wait. $40 each to the SP, $25 for the sherriff. The lady came over to the waiting room with a digital camera and took our pictures.:lol:

She's open carried a couple times but can't get the nerve up to do it all the time. Surprising as she's originally from New Jersey and is quite the 'social butterfly'.
Chris, didn't you have your VA license. I called Frankfort and was told if you have a current license from another state you can carry on that license until eligible for Kentucky's. Was that an option?

chris in va

imported post

Unfortunately once you change residency from VA, it is no longer valid. I called the VASP office and they confirmed my suspicions. I do still have my FL non-res, so at least I was smart enough to get one of those.
just beacuse you stood infront of your calendar scratchingoff180 days like an dufus dont get pissed at me
Am I a doofus for following the law? Or is the CC instructor and three local range owners also a doofus for telling me the same? How about the official State Police website?