• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend and I applied for our permits today

hotrod

imported post

chris in va wrote:
Unfortunately once you change residency from VA, it is no longer valid. I called the VASP office and they confirmed my suspicions. I do still have my FL non-res, so at least I was smart enough to get one of those.
just beacuse you stood infront of your calendar scratchingoff180 days like an dufus dont get pissed at me
Am I a doofus for following the law? Or is the CC instructor and three local range owners also a doofus for telling me the same? How about the official State Police website?
Unless I am understanding this incorrectly, you have not changed residency until you have been in the commonwealth for 6 months. So...you would still be a resident of VA. Good question for someone for the next guy or gal moving in.

nick1207

imported post

edit why does that bother you?.. i dont have to be gone!! i advise you stop typing to me.. and let it go

nick1207

imported post

dont worry about what i do ..troll again huh why dont meet face to face and see what you have to say then

chris in va

imported post

Ha...let me interject between the arguing.

As for the residency, it's weird. Soon as I got my drivers license in KY, my VA permit is no longer valid. KY considers you a resident soon as the DL is obtained, but for CC permit purposes you still have to wait 6 months.

It's like CC limbo.:?

Statesman

imported post

mnick426 wrote:
mnick426 wrote: show me where it says on the app for ccw you have to wait 6 months.. are a you lawyer ? and i commited what? dont say the sheriffs office made a mistake... duh.. if you live here and you hav an address and ky license, car is reg heredoesnt that make you resident?

The Sheriff's office did not mistake in issuing a license. They are not required, or authorized, to check your residency status, according to KRS 237.110. Instead, the responsibility to sign a statement under oath, and under penalty of perjury,is put on the person signing the citizenship affidavit.

You don't need to be a lawyer to be able to read and understand a statute, although it takes a bit of practice navigating references to different sections. The eligibility requirement in question is that you must be a resident for 6 months, not just a resident.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an all encompassing "CCDW application", but rather, an application "process". What you are looking for is on the citizenship affidavit that everyone must sign, as shown below.

1) Go to: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

2) Expand "CCDW Application Process".

3) At the bottom of that section, click on where it says "You can download the KSP 131 by clicking here.". This will open "ksp_131_citizenship_affidavit_071206.doc".

4) Here is what you requested:

" I, (please print) ________________________________________________________________, am applying for issuance or renewal of a Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons (CCDW) license pursuant to Kentucky Revised Statute (KRS) 237.110. I hereby certify, as evidenced by my signature on page 2 of this document, that: I have read KRS 237.110 and attest that I am eligible to be issued a CCDW license; I have read Title 18 , Section 922 of the United States Code (18 U.S.C. 922) and attest that I am eligible to possess a firearm under federal law; that my responses to the following questions are executed under oath; and that a materially false answer to any question or the submission of any materially false document subjects me to criminal prosecution under KRS 523.030.

As previously stated, the applicable KRS 237.110 eligibility requirement is as follows:

[begin]

(4) The Department of Kentucky State Police shall issue an original or renewal license if the applicant:

(b) 1. Is a citizen of the United States who is a resident of this Commonwealth and has been a resident for six (6) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application;

[end]

If an individual who signs the document has not been a resident for 6 months, they are subject to criminal proscecution under KRS 523.030 (i.e. they commited perjury 1st degree);

" attest that I am eligible to possess a firearm under federal law; that my responses to the following questions are executed under oath; and that a materially false answer to any question or the submission of any materially false document subjects me to criminal prosecution under KRS 523.030."

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/523-00/020.PDF

523.020 Perjury in the first degree.
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]
(1) A person is guilty of perjury in the first degree when he makes a material false statement, which he does not believe, in any official proceeding under an oath required or authorized by law; or

(2) When he makes a material false statement which he does not believe in a subscribed written instrument for which an oath is required or authorized by law, with the intent to mislead a public servant in the performance of his official functions when such person is subscribing a warrant accusing his spouse of an offense under KRS Chapter 510.

(3) Perjury in the first degree is a Class D felony. [/font]
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]

[/font]
[/font]

hotrod

imported post

This is something we need to approach the legislature about. If you have a current permit from a state recognized (which all are) by the Commonwealth, then the six months wait should be waived. I would submit we use KC3, but I understand they have their own problems.

KY_CCDW

imported post

hotrod wrote:
I would submit we use KC3, but I understand they have their own problems.
Mainly one big problem that has taken up residence in their leadership. As long as he is part of their leadership, I will have nothing to do with them.

He showed us all his 'quick-draw' at the Friends of NRA Dinner in Frankfort a while back in an effort to intimidate the newcomers into thinking he is something special.

This guy is BAD NEWS. He has chased off most of the reasonable KC3 leaders. They kicked him out a few years ago, but somehow he has wormed his way back into a leadership position. He was so hated, the mere mention of his name at a Directors meeting was grounds for a $10 fine on the offending board member.

Statesman

imported post

KY_CCDW wrote:
hotrod wrote:
I would submit we use KC3, but I understand they have their own problems.
Mainly one big problem that has taken up residence in their leadership. As long as he is part of their leadership, I will have nothing to do with them.

He showed us all his 'quick-draw' at the Friends of NRA Dinner in Frankfort a while back in an effort to intimidate the newcomers into thinking he is something special.

This guy is BAD NEWS. He has chased off most of the reasonable KC3 leaders. They kicked him out a few years ago, but somehow he has wormed his way back into a leadership position. He was so hated, the mere mention of his name at a Directors meeting was grounds for a $10 fine on the offending board member.
This guy drew his gun at a dinner? Are you kidding?

hotrod

imported post

I heard about that and some other things that concerned me. I heard that one individual had been a trouble maker also. Don't know anyone there, just rumors abound. Who knows. Would love to have a legislative lobby in Kentucky to help make changes. I would love to have lock boxes at the courthouse to place my weapon in while there.