Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Attacker stopped when he saw I could defend myself.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    Not open carry of a gun, but open carry of a knife.

    I met my wife and two friends for dinner this evening in Lancaster. I was on my motorcycle and went to town directly from work (Military Base), so I wasn't carrying a gun.

    We enjoyed our dinner and conversation and then decided it was time to go home. My wife left first as I had to gear up for the ride.

    I left for the one way exit lane and came face to face with a big white truck coming in the clearly marked (Big Sign) "Exit Only" lane. I let the guy go by but he stopped before I could get by him. He gave me a really dirty look and was yelling something, I assume he was cussing at me. There was a woman and a child with him. He finally pulled up so I could get by and I left the parking lot down the one way beside the Sizzler.

    I had to wait until traffic cleared enough for me to cross into the lane I needed to be in to get to the freeway. I then pulled across the road and got behind the traffic that was waiting on a red light. I usually pull right up to the red light and would have tonight, but there wasn't room to get between the cars.

    I looked to my left and I saw the guy who was out of his parked truck, running across the parking lot towards me. He was at a full run and looked like he was going to try to tackle me. He had a few inches and a few pounds on me and looked like he was nuts. I had just enough time to get into neutral and drop the kickstand, while simultaneously reaching for my Cammillus folder and turning my body to face my attacker while still on my bike.

    He saw me go for my knife, flick it open, and hold it back where if he tried to tackle me I could retain it and use it if necessary.

    He stopped dead in his tracks and and yelled "What's your problem, @#$%$@?"

    I replied "It was a one way and You are my problem if you don't leave me the hell alone RIGHT NOW?"

    He took a step back and muttered "Well I didn't see it." And turned and ran down the road behind me for about 25 or 30 feet and crossed back over to the parking lot.

    I am home now, with a slight case of the shakes. Just about the same as running a call as an EMT. You don't notice it when the adrenaline is hitting your system. You notice it 20 minutes later when it has run its course.

  2. #2
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    Ugh. Good to know that a properly opened knife can deter an attacker since that's mostly what I'm able to carry in SF. Although with your firearm on your side he probably wouldn't have even ran at you.

    Glad you're okay although still baffled over the guy's idiocy.

  3. #3
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:
    He stopped dead in his tracks...

    Mission accomplished.

    This also illustrates the point I have tried to convey to the concealed carry only crowd. You cannot hope to deter aggresive assailants without displaying the weapon. Until the attacker saw you were armed, they had every intention of bringing harm to you. That all changed after you presented a defense, and wouldnt have been necessary if you were conspicuously armed. He would have grumbled and cursed as he went on his way, or possibly call the police to report a man with a gun, if he stopped to think about it... but since police werent summoned for a man with a knife- it sounds like the attacker wasnt inclined to escalate the encounter by involving the police.

    Good report, even if it wasnt OC related.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  4. #4
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:
    He stopped dead in his tracks...

    Mission accomplished.

    This also illustrates the point I have tried to convey to the concealed carry only crowd. You cannot hope to deter aggresive assailants without displaying the weapon. Until the attacker saw you were armed, they had every intention of bringing harm to you. That all changed after you presented a defense, and wouldnt have been necessary if you were conspicuously armed. He would have grumbled and cursed as he went on his way, or possibly call the police to report a man with a gun, if he stopped to think about it... but since police werent summoned for a man with a knife- it sounds like the attacker wasnt inclined to escalate the encounter by involving the police.

    Good report, even if it wasnt OC related.
    Well it was OC of a knife, and the 2nd Amendment does say "keep and bear arms".

    While my folding knife is only a tool that I use to open boxes and cut rope and I use it for other utilitarian purposes, anything has the potential to be used as "arms".

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Riverside County, California, USA
    Posts
    353

    Post imported post

    This is a great story. Especially for this forum. During the 90's knife owners went through the same thing open carry gun owners are now. People were being stopped and harassed for pocket clip folding knives, and even more for open carried fixed blades. I remember reading the stories about false police reports where they would claim that the fixed blade was concealed or even that the folder was locked open and tucked into the pocket in order to save face when they learned it was legal to carry a knife in public. The stories read identically to the ones being posted now about open carry. Too bad I can't find any of them anymore. I hope at least that it is encouraging.

    For all the griping and whining people from out of state give about California's gun laws, they forget that California's knife laws are among the lest restrictive in the country and our self defense laws are some of the most victim favorable in the country. If we can get gun laws straitened out, and the tax and spend politicians out, we'll all re-learn why this is the golden state.



    Decoligny wrote:
    Not open carry of a gun, but open carry of a knife.

    I met my wife and two friends for dinner this evening in Lancaster. I was on my motorcycle and went to town directly from work (Military Base), so I wasn't carrying a gun.

    We enjoyed our dinner and conversation and then decided it was time to go home. My wife left first as I had to gear up for the ride.

    I left for the one way exit lane and came face to face with a big white truck coming in the clearly marked (Big Sign) "Exit Only" lane. I let the guy go by but he stopped before I could get by him. He gave me a really dirty look and was yelling something, I assume he was cussing at me. There was a woman and a child with him. He finally pulled up so I could get by and I left the parking lot down the one way beside the Sizzler.

    I had to wait until traffic cleared enough for me to cross into the lane I needed to be in to get to the freeway. I then pulled across the road and got behind the traffic that was waiting on a red light. I usually pull right up to the red light and would have tonight, but there wasn't room to get between the cars.

    I looked to my left and I saw the guy who was out of his parked truck, running across the parking lot towards me. He was at a full run and looked like he was going to try to tackle me. He had a few inches and a few pounds on me and looked like he was nuts. I had just enough time to get into neutral and drop the kickstand, while simultaneously reaching for my Cammillus folder and turning my body to face my attacker while still on my bike.

    He saw me go for my knife, flick it open, and hold it back where if he tried to tackle me I could retain it and use it if necessary.

    He stopped dead in his tracks and and yelled "What's your problem, @#$%$@?"

    I replied "It was a one way and You are my problem if you don't leave me the hell alone RIGHT NOW?"

    He took a step back and muttered "Well I didn't see it." And turned and ran down the road behind me for about 25 or 30 feet and crossed back over to the parking lot.

    I am home now, with a slight case of the shakes. Just about the same as running a call as an EMT. You don't notice it when the adrenaline is hitting your system. You notice it 20 minutes later when it has run its course.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego, , USA
    Posts
    82

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:
    Not open carry of a gun, but open carry of a knife.

    I met my wife and two friends for dinner this evening in Lancaster. I was on my motorcycle and went to town directly from work (Military Base), so I wasn't carrying a gun.

    We enjoyed our dinner and conversation and then decided it was time to go home. My wife left first as I had to gear up for the ride.

    I left for the one way exit lane and came face to face with a big white truck coming in the clearly marked (Big Sign) "Exit Only" lane. I let the guy go by but he stopped before I could get by him. He gave me a really dirty look and was yelling something, I assume he was cussing at me. There was a woman and a child with him. He finally pulled up so I could get by and I left the parking lot down the one way beside the Sizzler.

    I had to wait until traffic cleared enough for me to cross into the lane I needed to be in to get to the freeway. I then pulled across the road and got behind the traffic that was waiting on a red light. I usually pull right up to the red light and would have tonight, but there wasn't room to get between the cars.

    I looked to my left and I saw the guy who was out of his parked truck, running across the parking lot towards me. He was at a full run and looked like he was going to try to tackle me. He had a few inches and a few pounds on me and looked like he was nuts. I had just enough time to get into neutral and drop the kickstand, while simultaneously reaching for my Cammillus folder and turning my body to face my attacker while still on my bike.

    He saw me go for my knife, flick it open, and hold it back where if he tried to tackle me I could retain it and use it if necessary.

    He stopped dead in his tracks and and yelled "What's your problem, @#$%$@?"

    I replied "It was a one way and You are my problem if you don't leave me the hell alone RIGHT NOW?"

    He took a step back and muttered "Well I didn't see it." And turned and ran down the road behind me for about 25 or 30 feet and crossed back over to the parking lot.

    I am home now, with a slight case of the shakes. Just about the same as running a call as an EMT. You don't notice it when the adrenaline is hitting your system. You notice it 20 minutes later when it has run its course.
    I am glad your OK. I have a friend that lives in Lancaster and some of the things he told me makes me glad I am not there.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    If you live in Rosamond, you're in Kern County. You should have little to no trouble getting a Cali CCW there. I've heard that Sheriff Youngblood is very CCW friendly. Kern issues more CCWs than any county in the state.

    I know this because I grew up in Bakersfield and still have family and friends there. I know this is an open carry forum, but if you can legally UOC why not add the CCW and give yourself another option?

    Not surprised that you had the problem in Lancaster. That's northern LA county and there's a large county correctional facility there. I've heard that Palmdale's even worse, though.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    PilotHelo wrote:
    If you live in Rosamond, you're in Kern County. You should have little to no trouble getting a Cali CCW there. I've heard that Sheriff Youngblood is very CCW friendly. Kern issues more CCWs than any county in the state.

    I know this because I grew up in Bakersfield and still have family and friends there. I know this is an open carry forum, but if you can legally UOC why not add the CCW and give yourself another option?

    Not surprised that you had the problem in Lancaster. That's northern LA county and there's a large county correctional facility there. I've heard that Palmdale's even worse, though.
    Would not have mattered. I went directly from work on Edwards AFB to Lancaster. Being a Federal Facility, Military Bases do not recognize any license to conceal from any State. The only way I could carry on base, even if it were just locked up in my saddlebag, would be if I were going directly to, or directly from the Armory, going directly to, or from Base Housing, or if I were passing directly through the base entering at one gate, not stopping for anything but traffic signals, and leaving through another.



  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    I just mean get/have a CCW in general, not for this particular case. I'm all too painfully aware of the restrictions on civilians working on a military post (I assume you work at Edwards). I used to do consultingwork at SPAWAR here in SD. I never challenged it, but wasn't happy about it either. After all, if it says in your vehicle, what's the harm. Besides,their security is private and THEYare armed.

    Just here to get OC info for Cali because I want to be prepared. Not for dealing with BGs, but for dealing with LEOs who might harass me. I think there are good arguments for both OC and CC and I want to have both options. The sad thing is I have the option in many places outside my home state (I have a Utah CCW), but not within it. I've OC'd a lot this year in Nevadabecause I've made multiple trips to Front Sight to train. People there don't give you a second glance. As should be.

    Just glad you're OK. Sounds like you had a run-in with a pissed off redneck who was having a really bad day. You just happened to be someone he thought he could get away with ventinghis frustrationon. Good thing you were carrying your sharp-edged persuader. I'm carrying my folder at all times from now on.

    Be safe.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •