• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarksville City Council prohibits firearms in parks

david.ross

imported post

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20090710/NEWS01/907100338/Council+prohibits+firearms+in+parks

The council approved a resolution opting out of a new state policy allowing permitted gun owners to carry their weapons into parks, and approved a separate ordinance prohibiting weapons, not just guns, on city-owned or -managed property.

I was at the understanding Tennessee has state pre-emption except for the laws which were already on the books which were passed before the pre-emption laws, am I mistaken?

also...
City Attorney Lance Baker told the council Thursday, however, that state law prohibits municipalities from regulating the discharge of weapons.

huh? :uhoh:

Fallguy

imported post

Two reasons I believe.

One - It just not would have passed if it forced carry in all local parks. There just wasn't enough support for that.

Two - Local Governments can already post other property under their control: City Hall, Utility Dept and so on. So this sort of follows that same line.

I mean the way the law was a local government couldn't even allow carry in parks if they wanted to. This way there is no state law against it anymore.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The City Attorney doesn't seem to know the law very well. Municipalities ahev always had to right to regulate the discharge of weapons inside their jurisdiction. Most prohibit discharges, unless firearm discharge is in self defense.

SomeKid

imported post

Actually, I believe regulating the discharge was removed from municipalities with pre-emption. Unless they had such a law that was grandfathered in, they cannot any longer.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SomeKid wrote:
Actually, I believe regulating the discharge was removed from municipalities with pre-emption. Unless they had such a law that was grandfathered in, they cannot any longer.
What ever the case maybe, most municipalities do regulate discharges within their jurisdictions.