• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attacked on his own Porch?

ralphb72

imported post

A 21-year-old man was shot in the chest Friday after he attacked an armed man with a bottle, police said.The shooting occurred during an altercation about 9:40 p.m. in front of a home in the first block of South Butler Avenue, said Lt. Jeff Duhamell, spokesman for the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.
The wounded man was listed in critical condition at Wishard Memorial Hospital.
Police said the man and a friend exchanged words with a 21-year-old man who had been sitting on a porch and wearing two visible sidearms.
One man struck the armed man with a large glass bottle, then removed one of the handguns and started hitting him with it, Duhamell said. The armed man grabbed his second gun and shot his attacker.
Police were questioning the armed man, who Duhamell said has a valid gun permit. The man who was with the shooting victim is also being questioned, Duhamell said.

http://www.indystar.com/article/200...+condition+critical+after+he+is+shot+in+chest

Statesman

imported post

It takes some stones to attack a man with two sidearms on his own porch. That, or insanity.

By the way, who carries TWO holstered sidearms?!?!

rscottie

imported post

Statesman wrote:
It takes some stones to attack a man with two sidearms on his own porch. That, or insanity.

By the way, who carries TWO holstered sidearms?!?!
In this case it would seem that a person that carries TWO holstered sidearms was someone that fully understood the risks of sitting on his porch in his neighborhood.

I would suspect that he has watched his neighborhood as it has changed from one where you could safely sit on your porch and wave at your passing neighbors to one where it is no longer safe to even look at anyone because they may think you are challenging them on their turf.

Beau

imported post

Can't wait for more details to come out on this. Really want to know what provoked the guy with the bottle to attack or if he was provoked at all.

Hendu024

imported post

Speaking of attacked on your own porch... I just went home to visit some family and friends for a few days in Maine. Heard a story from one of my friends who lives in Portland. (Long story short) He was sitting on his porch with his girlfriend on July 4th, and a group of 4 or 5 drunk guys walked by, and out of the blue, just started cursing and yelling at my friend.

My buddy is not a gun person, nor is he much on self defense. Maybe he will be now... So these guys came up on his porch and proceeded to start kicking and punching him out of the blue. His girlfriend tried to stop it, and they punched her in the face, knocked her down and started kicking her as well. He managed to get into the entryway of his house and they followed him in and kept beating him.

After they felt satisfied they had given a good enough beating, they just left. They didn't take their wallets, money, or anything in their house. They were just drunk and wanted to beat someone up. Portland, in the grand scheme of things, is quite a safe town. Just goes to show you, anything can happen anywhere.

Now, question is, 4-5 unarmed guys on 1, would you go for your gun? No doubt about it, I sure as hell would have if I didn't have a baseball bat or something of that nature very close at hand.

N00blet45

imported post

I'm not willing to take the risk in using the bat. I'm not a major league slugger and I don't know any fancy moves. I'd go for the tried and true .45 ACP. 4 on 1 is a disparity of force, good for me when I go to court. The incident being on my property is also good for me. Finally, I didn't initiate the confrontation so it's a win for me.

If by some chance I'm convicted it wouldn't matter if I go to prison because the country would have already become one.