• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why have a gun in Richmond's Fan District?

curtiswr

imported post

http://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=10709449

[align=left]Two women robbed, one of them shot in Richmond's Fan District

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -A young woman shot during a robbery in Richmond's Fan District is sharing details about her terrifying ordeal. She and another woman were both robbed minutes apart on Strawberry Street.[/align][align=left] Police are still searching for the gunman, but say they don't have enough details to put out a suspect description. The shooting victim is out of the hospital and out of state on a personal trip. She says everything happened so fast and was told she's lucky to be alive.
[/align][align=left] The 24 year old woman says she didn't get a very good look at the robber. But a bullet wound in her left thigh will be a constant reminder of what happened to her on Strawberry Street about 12-45 Friday morning.
[/align][align=left] The victim says she was walking home with a friend from a bar on nearby Main Street when a man with a red bandana over his mouth and nose jumped out from behind a corner. Not realizing he had a gun, she says the masked man first tried to grab her purse but she tugged it back.
[/align][align=left] She says he then shot her in the thigh - the bullet striking inches away from a major artery. Minutes before that robbery on the same street, police believe the same man knocked another woman to the ground as he snatched her purse. She was treated for bumps and bruises.
[/align][align=left] The two robberies on Strawberry Street come on the heels of two additional robberies on the morning of July 4th just 12 blocks away. But so far police say there's no connection.[/align][align=left] "It'sscary, I wish it wasn't unsafe for women to walk around at night time by themselves but it is," says Fan resident Morgan Whitney.[/align][align=left] Whitney says even though there's always a lot of foot traffic on and around Strawberry street, she feelssafertraveling by bike.
[/align][align=left] "You'rein the street so there's less likely someone coming at you from a dark alleyway," said Whitney.

If you have information that could help police, call Crime Stoppers at 780-1000.
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center][line]
[/align][align=left]One resident's solution to the problem seems to be... ride a bike, because it's easier to get away and avoid anyone that might wish to do you harm... :uhoh:
[/align]

taurusfan

imported post

I walk down the middle of the street at night in the FAN in certain places if they are drawn on you and close you have lost most of the battle it seems to me.

:lol:

curtiswr

imported post

Great point, glockfan. I'd rather have a bicycle. :uhoh:

(for those that still don't pick up on it: yes, the sarcasm is pretty thick in this post)

kenny

imported post

Police Sector 313 Monthly Report provided by RPD. Sector 313 is Harrison west to Boulevard and James River north to Broad Street. We have a lot of work to do.

Sector 313:
June 2009:

Violent Crime[/b]: 3% decrease [/b]
6/2009 vs. 6/2008 – eight (8) crimes vs. eleven (11) crimes.

Property Crime[/b]: 16% increase[/b]
6/2009 vs. 6/2008 – sixty-five (65) crimes vs. fifty-six (56) crimes

Major Crime[/b]: 9% increase [/b]
6/2009 vs. 6/2008 – seventy-three (73) crimes vs. sixty-seven (67) crimes

ROBBERY - INDIVIDUAL
600% increase[/b]
6/2009 vs. 6/2008 – seven (7) robberies vs. one (1) robbery

BURGLARY (RESIDENTIAL)
46% decrease [/b]
6/2009 vs. 6/2008 – seven (7) burglaries vs. thirteen (13) burglaries