• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting from CA

Window_Seat

imported post

Hay all! I'm driving up in just over a month from CA, and will want to get my CHL in OR. What is the easiest county to apply and receive a CHL in Oregon? I will also apply for one in WA because I will be looking for a place to live in Vancouver.

Thanks!

Erik.

Phssthpok

imported post

I don't know if ALL the counties have a website, but all the more populated (western) counties seem to. Each website generally has a fairly visible link for a CHP FAQ section that should tell you everything you need to know.

Be advised that there is a 'training' requirement in Oregon (one day class...no live fire required), so if you want to apply while here it may be a good idea to get that out of the way before you come unless you plan to be here long enough to attend a class.

Here is a link to the pages for Multnomah County.

Glockguy

imported post

Window_Seat wrote:
Hay all! I'm driving up in just over a month from CA, and will want to get my CHL in OR. What is the easiest county to apply and receive a CHL in Oregon? I will also apply for one in WA because I will be looking for a place to live in Vancouver.

Thanks!

Erik.
Why Dont you apply For a Utah permit instead of a WA? It allows you to carry in WA plus 25+ other states (Not including OR, Oregon doesn't not recognize other States CHLs)......

Also Doesnt OR require you to Be a Oregon Citizen for at least 6monthes befor you can apply?

Phssthpok

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Window_Seat wrote:

Thanks!

Erik.
Why Dont you apply For a Utah permit instead of a WA? It allows you to carry in WA plus 25+ other states (Not including OR, Oregon doesn't not recognize other States CHLs)......

Also Doesnt OR require you to Be a Oregon Citizen for at least 6monthes befor you can apply?

As he is driving up from CA I'm going on the presumption that he is a CA resident.

Oregon sheriffs MAY issue non-resident CHL's to residents of bordering states (WA, ID, NV, CA). Since OR does not recognize permits/licenses from other states, if one has the desire to CC in OR, and the ability as a bordering resident, it would be adventageous to acquire a non-res CHL for OR.

Inspire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I got my "non-resident" CHL in Yamhill County.

They should issue to you being a non resident. I was still a California resident when I applied for mine there. I also have a number to a guy who is local in this area who can give you the safety course if you would like.

I went to Clark County in Washington (Vancouver) and showed them my Oregon CHL and paid the $55 and my non resident will be here in 60 days.

Window_Seat

imported post

Thanks for the replies. One more question that I figured would be more relevant here... How long does it take for your CHL to arrive in the mail once it is approved. Can the Sheriff take his time if he wants to, or do they have an obligation to make it happen in a "reasonable" amount of time?

(Edited to add):

Inspire wrote:
and my non resident will be here in 60 days.
I just got around to actually paying attention to this part, so I'm wondering now if this is pretty much standard for every county, or are all counties different on how long it takes to get your CHL in the mail?

Erik.

Inspire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Erik, I'm not exactly sure if it varies from county to county. I know some are more lenient then others, I believe they can take their time if they want.

I haven't really heard many CHL stories since I've only been a resident in Oregon for a little over a month now.

With that being said, the lady at the sheriff's office I used told me it's about 30 - 45 days. I also talked to a tow truck driver today while being towed, and he said he had his in 21 days. Mine took 31 days from actually filling out the paper work until the actual picture license came in my mail box.

Very reasonable time frame.

The reason I used Clark County is because I refered to it by an Oregon friend. That is in Vancouver about 12 miles from the Portland Airport. I would wait for that until you get your Oregon CHL though, it will make things alot easier, trust me.

May I ask what part of Oregon you're visiting? I'm pretty sure you will be close to Yamhill County where I was issued my CHL, but you could also call to a county Sheriff where you may be closer to and ask them what their "stance" is on non resident CHLS.

If they hassle you about the non resident, all you have to specify is that you're looking for a home in Oregon and you will be traveling back and fourth with valuables.

Xader

imported post

Inspire wrote:
I went to Clark County in Washington (Vancouver) and showed them my Oregon CHL and paid the $55 and my non resident will be here in 60 days.
LOL

I went to Goldendale (Klickitat County) to get my WA nonres, showed them my OR CHL, got printed, and had my CPL before I left the building! :celebrate