• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Very funny convo with seattle police officer

eraseallhope

imported post

i asked her if it would be legal to lock my pistol in the case it came in, Unloaded, when i am asked not to open carry at a certain location, as to while im visiting your city i will not have my own vehical to lock my weapon in.

She informed me that that was illegal and i could not do that,

But good luck with open carry, she supports it...

just doesnt know how well things are gunna go when the "libs" call the police to report a MWAG

antispam540

imported post

Carrying an unloaded pistol isn't illegal. Of course, removing a loaded gun from its holster and emptying it to put it in the case might be construed as "warranting alarm". Your best bet if someone says "you can't OC in here, it's our policy" is to just leave and not give them your business.

G27

imported post

Asking a police officer for help on what the law is, is like asking an old lady at church what a passage in the bible means. Both are open to personal interpretation and rarely are the truth.

Read the law, make your own intelligent decision and if you still have questions ask here for help. If you still have questions, consult a lawyer. Never take someone else's advice or two cents for granted, they're usually wrong.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

G27 wrote:
Asking a police officer for help on what the law is, is like asking an old lady at church what a passage in the bible means. Both are open to personal interpretation and rarely are the truth.

Read the law, make your own intelligent decision and if you still have questions ask here for help. If you still have questions, consult a lawyer. Never take someone else's advice or two cents for granted, they're usually wrong.
+1

FMCDH

imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
i asked her if it would be legal to lock my pistol in the case it came in, Unloaded, when i am asked not to open carry at a certain location, as to while im visiting your city i will not have my own vehical to lock my weapon in.

She informed me that that was illegal and i could not do that,

But good luck with open carry, she supports it...

just doesnt know how well things are gunna go when the "libs" call the police to report a MWAG
Um...No. She is incorrect. There is a clear and specific exception to carrying a pistol concealed in Washington state without a permit, and its located here in RCW 9.41.060.

The "case" doesn't even have to be locked!

RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state;

(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;

(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.