• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

reasonable priced holster belts

scoobydoo6906

imported post

I am looking for a kydex renforced gun belt that doen't cost a arm and a leg. any ideas? I found brand called Looper and they run about $40. Does anybody know if they are junk?

.45acp

imported post

scoobydoo6906 wrote:
I am looking for a kydex renforced gun belt that doen't cost a arm and a leg. any ideas? I found brand called Looper and they run about $40. Does anybody know if they are junk?

Scoobydoo,

Check out www.thewilderness.com and look at the instructor belts. about 40 bucks for the standard 5 stitch model, well proven and highly thought in the shooting world. I use the 5 stitch model. One of the paramount qualities of a gun belt is vertical stiffness, the Instructor Belt will not fail you.

Don't know about the Looper. Go for the wilderness, 40 bucks is not much to spend on a good gun belt.

Steve

j2l3

imported post

No personal knowledge of the Looper....

I have a belt from Blackhawk. Costs about $40 as well. Comes in several different finishes and is reinforced with Carbon Fiber specifically to carry the load of a firearm.

Mine is black eel skin. Very nice.....

wewd

imported post

5.11 makes several leather belts with inserts but I use their trainer belt which is similar to the Wilderness belt already mentioned. It's a great belt.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

ok maybe I should have been more specific. I am looking for a leather gun belt for my gun bearing needs. I am thinking of just buying the Looper's belt and being the test subject for you all. I'll let you know how that goes lol.

.45acp

imported post

scoobydoo6906 wrote:
ok maybe I should have been more specific. I am looking for a leather gun belt for my gun bearing needs. I am thinking of just buying the Looper's belt and being the test subject for you all. I'll let you know how that goes lol.

I'll be interested in your comments once you have carried with the Looper belt for a while.

Hope it works for you,

Steve

XD40coyote

imported post

I am in the process of making a leather gun belt for a PA OCer. I took a belt blank and sewed a strip of equally thick leather to it. The buckle area and the belt hole area are the single leather of the belt blank. More of my instinctive creativity...

When it is done and he has picked it and the holster and dbl mag pouch, up, he can do the ol beta test to see how it works.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not to knock anybody's nice belt; but I bought a cheap leather duty belt for about $25 in a gunstore. Nice and thick leather. Otherwise very simple with a simple chrome buckle. It was on the rack next to the $80 Bianchi's.

That was a year ago. Its doing just fine.

markand

imported post

I like an extremely stiff, reinforced leather belt, just like you're asking for. I have been getting mine from AKJ Concealco.

http://www.concealco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACL&Product_Code=BELT

It is comprised to two thicknesses of leather with some kind of stiff reinforcement sewn/sealed between. Not sure whether the reinforcement is kydex or something else, but it works.

Price is about $89, but well worth it. It doesn't stretch, due to whatever is used as reinforcement

shad0wfax

imported post

Landor wrote:
Cabelas has a very nice belt on sale right now. It is as thick of a gun belt I ever saw. And at $24.99 it is a great deal. It has two layers of heavy full-grain bridle leather and solid brass buckle and hardware. I does NOT have a kydex strip though. Still a good inexpensive deal.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0048673955404a.shtml

I'm wearing one of them as my OC belt. It is very stiff and durable. I bought it because I already had a custom-made black leather gun-belt but I needed a brown one.

I'm happy with my purchase.

jadedone4

imported post

I OC a SIG P226 along with double-mags on weak-side; purchased a leather belt from local Kmart/Sears (whatever it is called these days) put some regular water-proofing (shoe-wax) and called it a day - no problems with the "rig" yet; and it only cost me about $15.

markand

imported post

markand wrote:
I like an extremely stiff, reinforced leather belt, just like you're asking for. I have been getting mine from AKJ Concealco.

http://www.concealco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACL&Product_Code=BELT

It is comprised to two thicknesses of leather with some kind of stiff reinforcement sewn/sealed between. Not sure whether the reinforcement is kydex or something else, but it works.

Price is about $89, but well worth it. It doesn't stretch, due to whatever is used as reinforcement
I was looking this over again and thought I would explain a bit more. I used to be a serious photographer many years ago when I was in college. On occasion, several occasions, actually, I would have to chide one of my fellow photo buffs over their stinginess when buying certain accessories. The conversation would go like this, "So you have a $1,000 camera and a $300 lens and you just bought the CHEAPEST UV haze filter you could find in the "specials" box at the photo shop? Do you realize that every photon of light you're hoping to collect as accurately as possible in this expensive monstrosity you're carrying around is going to go through that cheap piece of junk you just screwed on the front of your lens? Go get a REAL UV filter that's optically flat, consistent across the entire surface and not all scratched up!" Most of the time, they'd get it, repent and find a decent filter.

Not long ago, I had to chide myself for doing the same thing with my self defense hardware. I found myself buying cheap holsters, magazines and, yes, belts. I had a nice collection of quality guns but wasn't paying sufficient attention to the rest of the system. Bottom line, don't scrimp on the belt. The belt is the part of the system that will help ensure the gun is in the same place every time you reach for it.

After wondering if spending nearly $100 on a belt was worth it. I came to the conclusion, after a little bit of reflection, that *I'M* worth it. I was just playing with the camera all those years ago, but I'm betting my life on the gun, holster, ammo and belt today. The difference in cost between a $40 belt and a $100 belt, over the 3 to 5 year life of that belt, is pretty insignificant. Don't spend more than you have to, but get a good belt no matter the cost.

thnycav

imported post

I have found that using old stirrup leathers work real well. They are from one inch to two inches wide and can support a riders weight. I get them for free from old saddles. I do not think you can find a belt that will out do them.

Michigander

imported post

I've got a reinforced nylon belt made in Indiana by a company called "Raine Inc". It was fairly cheap at about 21 dollars, and it's very durable and effective. Quite a bargain actually.

The only thing I don't like about the company is that they don't sell directly from their web site, only to dealers.

http://raineinc.com/

Mjolnir

imported post

Why is it everybody wants to scrimp and save on a cheap assed holster or belt when carrying a $600 or more pistol.

It is just silly and stupid, not to mention down right dangerous to carry a pistol in a cheap holster and even cheaper home made belt instead of a quality belt made for carrying a pistol.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

A belt that costs 1/5 to 1/6 of a gun is way over priced sorry. You can get a good belt from a major retailer for $20, granted its not a "gun belt" but a gun belt shouldn't cost you 5 times what a normal belt does. I know there is more to a gun belt but a $40 price point should be doable. one should be able to be had at that price point and expect it to be of good quality. blowing extra money on a belt that can be had for half the cost is just dumb.