• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABQ Open Carry outing

para_org

imported post

O.K....So when is the date and how many, assuming the Route 66 diner ?

Jizzzle

imported post

i gotta talk to a man about a horse (harley) next in the next 2 weeks. up in abq. if nothing else lets just schedule it for say the 10th? I'll be more than glad to eat anywhere you guys'd like to.

hybrid

imported post

the 10th, yeah I can make it, I think what time are we talking about

hybrid

imported post

ok, where you folks want to go, and is it just us 3, anyone else going? post a comment if you will.

para_org

imported post

If it happened, it would have been nice to know sufficently about it ahead of time to enable my attendance. I left the time open, i.e. I planned NOTHING specific last Saturday.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Okay...I thought it had been decided...couldn't tell with al the back-and-forth here on datesbut it seemed the 10th was decided on...vaguely.

As I have mentioned here before, come December I will be taking my "yearly" trip back West to see friends and relatives:

I will be in Rio Rancho (Albuquerque) around mid-December for a week or 10 days so if an OC event is planned when I am there, ICAN attend...even if it's in Santa Fe/TaosI can drive up there as it's not that far. Or drive to Edgewood, Moriarty.

And probably the 2nd week of December (before I head up to NM) I will be in El Paso, TX, so anything happening in the Alamogordo/Cloudcroft/Ruidoso area Ican attend. Anyone want to meet at the Dennys in Ruidoso...if it's not posted? :?

So if you getan OC eventscheduled for October or November, plan one for December, too.

Actually, I think a regular OC even once per month should be doable, even if northern NM people and southern NM people have their own events -- as everyone may not be able to travel to ONE state-wide meeting place on any regular basis.

As for eastern and western NM...anyone here from Silver City or Roswell?

-- John D.

P.S. Did anyone here go to any Village Inns in ABQ/Rio Rancho (like the one on HWY 528/Rio Rancho Blvd SE --in front of Intel) and find out if they are posted?

How about the IHOPs?

hybrid

imported post

I was waiting for an update in where in when as well.

cloudcroft I like the idea of a once per month gather.

well lets try this again, how about we meet at sportman's warehouse, eat a hot dog and go to the store to see shiny things

para_org

imported post

That would be fine.

The Sportsman's Wearhouse in Albuquerque, as of two days agi, had a sign up declaring NO loaded firearms. This was, of course against corporate policy and were placed by the local store manager without approval of the owners. SO..... I got corporate involved to correct within a 1/2 hour after seeing it. I was told that they have been replaced (as of yesterday) with proper signs allowing anyone to open-carry in a holster without further complications.

Now as for when we get together; I suggest we decide without ANY further delay if at all possible. Heck the manager could get another bug up his butt and change the signs again before we get together.

Creary

imported post

Hello all,

Cloudcroft, while I'm not in Roswell I am just 90 miles north in Clovis, NM. I would gladly attend/organize open carry get-togethers when/if my work schedule allows it.

As for the thread's topic about an ABQ Open Carry outing ... I was in Albuquerque this past week October 2-11 for Balloon Fiesta (I'm on a chase crew for a hot air balloon with about two dozen family members). I would not have been able to make a lunch get together on the 10th because of previous family engagements but I too was curious if the ABQ Open Carry outing happened. Looks like it didn't ... ah well.

But I would like to share my one week ABQ open carry experiences with ya'll ... just cause.

Friday, October 2nd: Open carry at the Village Inn on Coors, just North of Montano -- no issues. Cloudcroft, while I didn't go into the Village Inn across from Intel, I did drive by and didn't see any "no firearms" signs.

Saturday, October 3rd: OC at Sportsman's Warehouse and the Office Depot across the street -- no issues. There was an Albuquerque Police Department (APD) vehicle parked in front of Sportsman's Warehouse with a female LEO standing by it. Walked by and entered the store without issue. Para_org, I noticed the sign too. Made the judgement call that the sign's intent was for firearms which were brought in for maintenance, trade, or sale -- not intended for firearms worn for personal defense. So, I went inside with my HK USP 45 on my hip in a Blackhawk Serpa Level II holster. Spoke to a salesman to ask about Blackcloud 12ga shotgun shells. He visibly noticed my sidearm -- no comment. Passed by the partner male LEO inside the store -- no issues. Spoke to another saleswomen about boots -- no issues. Walked out without buying anything and again passed by the female LEO by the APD vehicle -- no issues. So Para_org, I'm glad you thought to contact corporate HQ to get the sign removed. Its best there is no sign to prevent confusion. But I don't think the sign had any anti-OC intent, based on my one-time experience.

Monday, October 5th: OC at Target and Office Depot off I-25 on Paseo Del Norte. No issues at Target. At Office Depot the customer service clerk asked: "Excuse me. What do you do which allows you to carry a handgun?" I answered: "Nothing special. NM state law allows for citizens to open carry firearms as long as its not into a store which sells alcoholic beverages. I carry one for my own protection and to protect my wife and kids who are outside in the car." The customer service clerk and another customer seemed satisfied with that answer and the other customer actually said, "Smart."

Tuesday, October 6th: OC at Office Max on Paseo Del Norte (further East up from the Target and Office Depot). Spoke with a saleswoman. She was very helpful and helped me track down two hard to find items (as you can see I already had checked at two Office Depots) -- no issues.

Wednesday, October 7th: OC at Other Mother's, and Sketcher's (I-25 and San Mateo) -- no issues. Also open carried at Baby Bear (on Lomas, near San Mateo). Had extensive conversations with the store owners about diapers and toys. They clearly noticed my sidearm -- no comments.

Friday, October 9th: OC at Target again, the same one as before. This time there was an APD vehicle parked outside -- empty. On my way out, the female LEO also was exiting the store. I'm pretty sure she noticed my sidearm -- no comment.

So, I had only positive open carry experiences in ABQ. I think an OC get-together would be well received at any legal venue.

If any of ya'll are ever in Clovis let me know.

hybrid

imported post

I saw the sign too, more or less it said if bringing firearms, or something alike please check them at customer service. I went ahead and asked what that signed meant, also asked if they started doing gunsmith work now, I was told that it was for people coming in to buy a scope for the rifles since it's that time.

Creary I'm glad to hear you had only nice experiences.

I'm ok with going anywhere you folks like

para_org

imported post

As some of you already know, I carry everyday and seldom concealed. Up until very resently it was a full sized 1911 patterned gun so there is no mistaking that I am armed. Anyways about 2x a year, on average, is there any negative response. Otherwise things are fine (for lack of a better word to describe the sublime atmosphere).

So the experience you guys had was quite ordinary.

Anyways, the reason I reacted so quickly to the snafu at Sportsman's was something I will be very pleased to go into, with a lot more detail, when we all get together for a meal. I am very glad it worked out for you so well the other day at Sportman's.