• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plain clothes officer

cdjspider

imported post

I've been wondering what our options are if lets say we are stopped by a plain clothed officer. My major problem with it is if for some reason the officer for what ever reason asks me for my gun. I dont know about everyone else but I would be very reluctant to hand it over to anyone other than someone in uniform....even then I wouldn't be to happy but at least I know he's legit. I guess what I'm trying to get at is if you are stopped can you request for a uniformed officer in a marked car before handing your gun over or would your best bet be to just call 911 to check him out?

I know it sounds a little paranoid, but I really do not trust a lot of people out there. Anyways, what are your opinions on what to do here?

tacmedic911

imported post

Ask for uniforms..... or a supervisor! If he does not comply, from that I would determine that he is not legit and if possible call 911 to report a police impersonator.

If he has you at gun point I would keep my hands visible and ask for his supervisor before making any move tactical, defensive or otherwise unless he starts shooting, then it would be game on and let the attorneys figure it out!

If it does come down to shooting, and you disable or eliminate the threat, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR LAWYER FIRST!!!

Hope that helps, that is just what I would do, I am not an attorney just a guy. Use this advise at your own risk.

G27

imported post

I doubt plain clothed officers would typically even bother their time with this stuff. There is usually a reason they are not in uniform (undercover, investigating, etc.) and this is not an area of their concern so they'd call uniforms to investigate. Also, every plain clothed officer I've ever met is typically a detective and typically either has his badge on his or her belt or readily accessible. There have been many shootings where plainclothes were shot because they weren't identifiable as officers and instead were viewed as threats. As far as I know, these have mostly been written off as a unfortunate part of being a police officer.

Manu

imported post

Plain cloth cops are required by law to identify them self with badge and ID card. on top if that you can request uniformed officer. If the cop is legit he will comply with request while holding you gun point of otherwise depends how you are behaving. Even if you got pulled over by red and blue flashing lights you are allowed to call 911 and verify if the cop pulling you over is legit or not. That is what I am told by my detective and other cop friends. Well 911Boss can you tell you even better what you can and can not do in this situation.