• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Closed Opaque Case

eraseallhope

imported post

So under (9) of this provision it says anyone with unloaded pistol in a closed opaque case

is NOT illegally conceal carrying a weapon.

Does this pertain to Private Property?

what if you have your gun unloadedin the case it came in, which looks similer to a drimmel or screwdriver case..

and i maybe stick it inside my wifes purse, without informing the property owner, or manager or a certain store or resturant...

I'd like your advice on this idea.

heresolong

imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
So under (9) of this provision it says anyone with unloaded pistol in a closed opaque case

is NOT illegally conceal carrying a weapon.

Does this pertain to Private Property?

what if you have your gun unloadedin the case it came in, which looks similer to a drimmel or screwdriver case..

and i maybe stick it inside my wifes purse, without informing the property owner, or manager or a certain store or resturant...

I'd like your advice on this idea.
It is neither inherently legal or illegal to carry a pistol per the RCW on private property. Same rules apply if it is open to the public. The only difference is that a private property owner can ask you to leave if they object and they can have you trespassed if you refuse to leave. If it is in a closed case and they don't know that it is a firearm, there is no reason that it should ever become an issue. The state doesn't care as it is not their problem unless you are there illegally (ie have been asked to leave).

antispam540

imported post

You can already carry openly on private property without a CPL. If the gun's loaded and concealed, you need a CPL, but if it's not loaded and in a locked case you don't need a CPL.

If the case your gun came in is opaque and closed, it's fine according to that particular section of the law.

You're not required to inform the property owner or manager anyway, whether you're OCing or CCing, with or without a license, so why would you have to inform them when the gun is kept inside a purse and not even loaded?

Be careful - having the ammunition for the weapon too close to the gun or "easily accessible" could get you in trouble, but remember, I'm not a lawyer ;)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

There. Is. No. Law. Regarding. "Accessible" ammo. Total gunshop BS. Carry a loaded mag next to an unloaded gun in this state. Doesn't matter.

antispam540

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
There. Is. No. Law. Regarding. "Accessible" ammo. Total gunshop BS. Carry a loaded mag next to an unloaded gun in this state. Doesn't matter.
Thanks for info - I will amend my future statements accordingly. One less thing to worry about!

FunkTrooper

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Pretty sure that's in the FAQ because that's how I carried in a vehicle before I got my permit, loaded magazine in one had unloaded pistol holstered on my hip. I used to never have a round chambered because I wanted to follow the law without having to clear my pistol at the bus stop where it would scare everyone.

The law doesn't really make much sense if you treat every gun as though it's loaded, It's not like you can get off for pointing a gun at someone if the police can prove it's unloaded.

FMCDH

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
You can already carry openly on private property without a CPL. If the gun's loaded and concealed, you need a CPL, but if it's not loaded and in a locked case you don't need a CPL.

If the case your gun came in is opaque and closed, it's fine according to that particular section of the law....
Once again, there is NO requirement for the "closed opaque case" or "secure wrapper" (also known as a backpack) to be locked, only closed or secure so that the firearm not be readily accessible or fall out.

Now, that being said, being locked probably would go a long way to keep you from getting into trouble with a poorly educated or overzealous LEO, but there is no legal requirement.

cynicist

imported post

It is neither inherently legal or illegal to carry a pistol per the RCW on private property.
Where is the private property defense listed? From my reading, it is only inside your own place of abode.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

cynicist wrote:
It is neither inherently legal or illegal to carry a pistol per the RCW on private property.
Where is the private property defense listed? From my reading, it is only inside your own place of abode.
The inside your place of abode is only relevant to carrying concealed. No CPL required to carry concealed in your place of abode or business.

Carrying concealed on someone else's property would require a CPL.

Carrying an unloaded weapon in an opaque case or secure wrapper is not considered "concealed", therefore carrying in such a manner on someone else's property would not require a CPL.

As to the OP's original question, it would be legal to "carry" as you suggest. With it being unloaded and in a case it creates an exception to the CPL requirement.

It is also not OC so a property owner would be unaware and therefore unlikely to ask you to leave.