Thread: Del. Joe Morrissey writes pro-VCDL letter to editor - R-TD

Post imported post

Delegate Joe Morrissey has a pro-VCDL letter to the editor in the Commentary section of today's Richmond Times-Dispatch. He notes he supports many positions VCDL disagrees with, but his purpose for writing is to strongly and unequiviclably support the VCDL position in the dispute over stickers withthe Richmond Colliseum.

Delegate Morrissey is my representative. Chris and I (Chris is richardcm on this board) visited his office while open carrying last session and had a nice conversation with him and his aide, Heidi. We were encouraging him to support VCDL bills. He later sent me a very thoughtful follow-up letter.

His letter to the editor also mentions that he is sure he won't be invited to any "VCDL barbecues" anytime soon. Perhaps I should go back to his office and invite him and Heidi!

The letter itself is strongly worded in our favor on this particular issue, which makes me happy sinceHeidi and Ibriefly corresponded afterDel. Morrissey'sfirst letter and I assured her that we would be able to find positions we both agree on, and when we did, I hoped we could work together.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Link to letter to editor by Del. Morrisey -
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/new...195407/279273/

And an interesting response (from one of ours?)

Posted by ( The Dutchman ) on July 12, 2009 at 9:59 am
    I applaud Joe Morrisey for his support for the First Amendment. Way to go, sir. Okay…fine; but remember that the VCDL (a group he seems to oppose) feels the same way about our Second Amendment rights.
    What about it, Joe? Our Bill of Rights is a package deal - it is not to be served “cafeteria style” where you can pick and choose which rights you like and which ones you do not.
    If you want to defend a drug dealer’s Fourth Amendment rights, it is only prudent to the Second Amendment rights of us decent citizens. Infringe upon one right and the others will soon fall.
    Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Good point Grapeshot. Its great that he is willing to agree with VCDL on the stickers. It would be practically insane for anyone to disagree with handing out stickers at the Coliseum. Its amazing that it is even an issue to begin with. So while I am happy that he sides with VCDL I'd hardly pat him on the back for it. If he starts to soften up on the 2nd then I feel he is due some sort of positive reinforcement. Interesting article nonetheless.

Post imported post

Decent letter from Fightin' Joe, but remember he was an attroney and is now a politician.

His mouth is his income.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
    Decent letter from Fightin' Joe, but remember he was an attroney and is now a politician.

His mouth is his income.

Well put!

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    If you want to defend a drug dealer’s Fourth Amendment rights, it is only prudent to the Second Amendment rights of us decent citizens. Infringe upon one right and the others will soon fall.
    His article, while on the surface applicable and noble to the 1st, is grossly negligent and hypocritical towards the 2nd.

It appears whoever wrote the response you quote recognizes such.

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

During the last legislative session, Chris (richarcm) and I met with Joe Morrissey and his legislative assistant, Heidi, to discuss our pro-gun politics and the reasons behind our views. We both were openly armed, which seemed to intrigue Joe. Del. Morrissey is my delegate.

I ran into Heidi yesterday on the sidewalk in Richmond, and she instantly recognized me and called out to me. Her grandmother was visiting town, and we briefly talked (we have also emailed recently). She is very sincere about wishing to attend the next VCDL picnic with Del. Morrissey, and she said he is looking forward to it! She also mentioned that Del. Morrissey has received a number of emails thanking him from VCDL members. His letter was truly a nice gesture, and certainly unsolicited. If you haven't thanked him yet, please do so!

Joe is pretty liberal, and he also seemedintrigued that I am openly gay and a VCDL member. I explained that we are not monolithic, we are simply committed to the second amendment. Heidi later told me our visit made "quite an impression" on Joe, and he "instantly remembered" me when I wrote him a snail mail letter thanking him for his letter to the editor. TDel. Morrissey is never going to be "pro-gun", but this is a relationship worth pursuing, and on on individual issues, we may be able to work with him and he certainly is open to hearing our viewpoint. As a politician, he seemed interested in the fact that the VCDL email newsletter goes out to over 7,000 Virginians as well.

Post imported post

That sounds like a very positive interaction. I don't require any of my elected officials to be "pro-gun". I do want them to be "pro-choice" on the issue (and many others) however. They may not like guns, they may not like folks owning/carrying guns. Fine. That's their right. What they don't have the right to do is impose their dislike over my rights.

I think this situation is a great example of how to start down the road of turning an anti-gun guy into at least a neutral, and maybe eventually into a supporter of the RKBA, even if not a fan of it.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Link to letter to editor by Del. Morrisey -
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/new...195407/279273/

And an interesting response (from one of ours?)

Posted by ( The Dutchman ) on July 12, 2009 at 9:59 am
    I applaud Joe Morrisey for his support for the First Amendment. Way to go, sir. Okay…fine; but remember that the VCDL (a group he seems to oppose) feels the same way about our Second Amendment rights.
    What about it, Joe? Our Bill of Rights is a package deal - it is not to be served “cafeteria style” where you can pick and choose which rights you like and which ones you do not.
    Yata hey

I see nothing wrong with trying to get him over to "our side"

Like it or not, he may continue to be reelected for awhile. It would be better for us to work on convincing him to stand up for our rights compared to pushing him away.

I say, invite him to cookouts, ask him to go shooting. Get people that HAVE defended their lives with firearms talk to him and share their stories. It is one thing to say "you can save your life" - it is another to say "this firearm SAVED my life"

Post imported post

Almost everyone makes decisions based on information. (Almost... there are a few completely insane, illogical crazies out there...)

Mr. Morrissey has made decisions based on some information he has received in the past, information that most of us would find faulty at best, disingenuous more likely.

The fact that he places value on some of the amendments is a good sign, it's not a long step to go from some to all.

Any chance to dilute some of that "bad" information with "good" information should be welcomed with open arms!

TFred

Post imported post

Didn't "Fighting Joe lose 2 machineguns when he was in the D/A office?

I doubt he would be a supporter of open carry, but support from almost any politician is advantageous.

Centurion

Post imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
    the fact that the VCDL email newsletter goes out to over 7,000 Virginians as well.
    The number has grown considerably over the last year and is now at 12,000!