Thread: The other Self-Defense RCW

Post imported post

RCW 9A.16.110 Defending against violent crime — Reimbursement. (1) No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.
    This is the one that mentions force to defend property, unlike justifiable homicide, and also requires reasonable means. In CJ class we were taught the specifics of it but I can't seem to find the source.

Post imported post

This is my favorite RCW it gives people protection from the law when defending themselves or others.

Post imported post

But weren't there a few cases in Washington where an individual was found guilty when defending themselves/others?

I am looking for the article/post and will reply once I find it.

Post imported post

But weren't there a few cases in Washington where an individual was found guilty when defending themselves/others?
    Note that it must be "reasonable."