• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Round in Chamber

Majorpain

imported post

During a discussion about opencarry with a co-worker of mine who is a former Riverton Police Officer that I have alot of respect for,i wasinformed that I can not carry a firearm openly or concealed with a round in the chamber, or a round in line with the barrel of arevolver.

I searched on and off for a couple of day's and could find nothing, so I asked him how long ago that law was in place and if he knew where I could find it. He informed me that it was a game and fish law. So I looked again and still I can find nothing.

I have always carried with a round chambered or in line with no problem's. However if this is a current enforcible law I would like to know. So if anyone could clear this issue up with me or point me in the right direction like a link that i couldprint up,It would be much appriceated. Thank's

AB

imported post

Even if a local municipality had an ordinance it would be preempted by Wyoming state law.

Sounds like this "ex-cop" might be more familiar with Utah's law.

opusd2

imported post

No such law about being unable to carry with a loaded chamber. When I took my CCW course, we were warned about some police trying to get you tripped up. But like it was pointed out somewhere here in these threads, there are a lot of police being hired from elsewhere who have paranoid views on civvies carrying.

I don't care the animal, I always have a filled chamber and if my sidearm and rig allow it, it could be cocked and locked.

Majorpain

imported post

Well thanks I didn't think there was a law aganst it. I could not find anything after a couple of day's. My frend is probably the last person who I would call gun paranoid (hoplophobic) ;)we go to the range pretty offen and a couple of week's ago I introduced him to bump fire lol.

Thank's for the responces. much appriceated.

woodsman

imported post

If your friend is quoting a game and fish reference then he is more than likely talking

about rifle and shotguns.

imported post

Majorpain wrote:
Well thanks I didn't think there was a law aganst it. I could not find anything after a couple of day's. My frend is probably the last person who I would call gun paranoid (hoplophobic) ;)we go to the range pretty offen and a couple of week's ago I introduced him to bump fire lol.

Thank's for the responces. much appriceated.
Sounds like it is a good thing that your friend is a FORMER police officer. Who needs another officer presenting his views as law?

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

What are the Fish and Game laws concerning the wearing of xxx-inches of flourescent orange? Is he going to say since it's in the Fish & Game laws that you have to wear a flourescent vest 24/7?

(Sorry, no ideas about the state laws, but I don't think hunting regulations are applicable when you're not..... well, fishing or hunting. )

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Majorpain wrote:
During a discussion about opencarry with a co-worker of mine who is a former Riverton Police Officer that I have alot of respect for,i wasinformed that I can not carry a firearm openly or concealed with a round in the chamber, or a round in line with the barrel of arevolver.

Now that is kinda funny right there,
I might be wrong, but considering every single DA revolver I have ever seen, handled, or fired does not fire the round that is currently inline with the barrel when you pull the trigger. Since pulling the trigger or pulling the hammer back rotates the cylinder to the next round anyways. So according to this misinformed officer, I will then be required to have the 2nd chambering empty so my first trigger-pull drops the hammer on an empty chamber? Hmm , Since my ruger rotates Counter-clockwise, I would then need to have an empty chamber to the right side of the barrel., and for you SA guys, you would need an empty chamber to the let of the barrel to fit this nonsense.

Don't single action revolvers do the same when the hammer is pulled back too?
That is why some older SA revolvers (without blockage plates or other firing-pin blocking parts) should be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber, So if the firearm is dropped it will not discharge from blunt force. But by pulling back the hammer, it puts you on a live chambering.

SlowDog

imported post

I had this same type of discussion with someone and they were so adamant about how unsafe it was to carry my Springer1911 with one in the pipe. To which I replied..." without a bullet in the pipe it is just an expensive club.":banghead:

MamaLiberty

imported post

A modern pistol or revolver, properly holstered, cannot really be fired "accidentally". Follow the three rules of safety, and you will have no negligent discarges either.

There is NO "law" regarding a chambered round in handguns, at least in Wyoming.

Know your gun and its limitations. Carry safely.

ichigo

imported post

Thank you for the info. I'm traveling to Jackson this weekend to visit family. I have a Utah permit to conceal but always OC with one in the firing position. It's legal in UT but wanted to verify how our neighbors see it. I'm glad to hear it is legal there .

-banki-

MamaLiberty

imported post

ichigo wrote:
Thank you for the info. I'm traveling to Jackson this weekend to visit family. I have a Utah permit to conceal but always OC with one in the firing position. It's legal in UT but wanted to verify how our neighbors see it. I'm glad to hear it is legal there .

-banki-
Good luck there. Do remember that Jackson is much more "liberal" than the rest of Wyoming and you may run into people and cops there who do not understand or honor Wyoming law regarding your right to self defense.

Do a search of the Wyoming legislature website yourself, and all the statutes. You won't find a single word about open carry of legally owned arms. There isn't one. Since there is no law against it, or limiting it, OC is legal everywhere except those places limited by FEDERAL law.

But that might not be enough to prevent your being hassled by some who think they have some "right" to limit yours. Just be polite and ask them to show you the law...

ichigo

imported post

Thanks, I made it back and it was very uneventful thank goodnes. Jackson is very much like Park City and luckily is in it's down season. I have been reinvigorated in learning the laws of bordering states.
-banki-

Machoduck

imported post

AB had it right; Utah. In Utah, if you don't have a license you must carry "Utah unloaded" Meaning empty chamber. You need to perform two actions to fire the pistol is how they phrase it.

MD

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Machoduck wrote:
AB had it right; Utah. In Utah, if you don't have a license you must carry "Utah unloaded" Meaning empty chamber. You need to perform two actions to fire the pistol is how they phrase it.

MD
However, due to recent legislative action in Utah You MAY:

Carry openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded in any vehicle that you are legally in control of....

Just don't get OUT of the car while parked on the street without making sure that you are Utah unloaded unless you have a concealed carry permit issued you by ANY State or county!

AB

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:

Carry openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded in any vehicle that you are legally in control of....
Could you please post link to legislation. :)

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

AB wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:

Could you please post link to legislation. :)

Here be the current law....

http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=76-10-505

And the law you will find there in its entirety!

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

AB

imported post

Legislators should repeal laws, instead of making more

Looks like this Utah statutehas every possibility of being abused or misinterpreted:
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.

and what about this:
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

Colorado had similar statutes so the legislatorscleared it upfor law abiding citizens, even so in Colorado many LEO don't know the law or abuse it:
http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/Statutes/18-12-105.6.asp

Just look atpatchwork of "weapons statutes":
http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/relatedstats.asp

By contrast Wyoming has nothing on the books about vehicle carry or riflesand the great thing about that is there is nothing to "misinterpret".

It has been my uncompromising mantra that Wyoming doesn't need this type of confusing legislation, keep it simple, repeal what we already haveandalways use the Bill of Rights as a guide.

Legislating "gun laws"isa Pandora's box, we must continuously reference Vermont's un-fettered firearms carry.

We must remember that Legislators or Lawmakersonly know how to make law,what we need are "Law-Repealers".

M

McX

imported post

No,no,no. You guys got it all wrong. You can't carry with a round in the chamber if your walking up hill, on a tuesday, with a threat of rain in the forecast, while humming the Battle Hymn of The Republic, wearing a scarf. Or was that on Thursday? Another case of the dancing monkey :monkey