• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on a boat anchored at Petti Bois Island...Illegal or not?

Mississippian

imported post

I recently went to the island on a friends boat, but left the gun (loaded)in a locked cabinet when I left the boat. Was I legal or not?

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left]Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas[/align]

[align=left]Carry Allowed in these Areas:[/align]

[align=left]State Parks: NO Sec. 45-9-101.[/align]

[align=left]State/National Forests:
Unknown[/align]

[align=left]WMA’s:
Unknown[/align]

[align=left]
Road Side Rest Areas:
YES If Not Posted[/align]

[align=left]

[align=left]edit - added the first line in the quote & mispelled 'Petit' in title..[/align]

Johnny_B

imported post

It's part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore..

Managed by the National Park Services

So, when the new law comes into effect you should be able to since it seems for now it falls under the national parks, which you can't carry atm...but soon...soon...

Edited miswording

Double_J

imported post

A few years ago when I worked for Ship Island Excursions I had the chance to get to know the LEOs for Ship, Horn, Petti Bois, and the mainland park in Ocean Springs. The rule of thumb that they went buy is that you could have it in the boat locked up as long as you informed them if approached. Like I said this was a few years ago, but next time you get out to the island and if you see the LEO politely check with him/her.

Best of luck,

Double_J

P.S. When are we all going to meet up? I am now free for most weekends, and if I do have to work it is not until 7:00 P.M. so a late lunch works for me.

Mississippian

imported post

When are we all going to meet up?
Well, someone else is going to have to pick up the ball I dropped over here in MS. My business income took a nose-dive in May (I refused to give asomeone kickbacks...long story) so I am now making less ina month than I was making in a week sowe are trying to make sure all spending and driving is a necessity.

Fortunately, I have friends that live close by that doesn't mind if we tag along on their boat outings...They knowmycurrent financial status.

TheGreatGonzo

imported post

Johnny_B wrote:
It's part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore..

Managed by the National Park Services

So, when the new law comes into effect you should be able to since it seems for now it falls under the national parks, which you can't carry atm...but soon...soon...

Edited miswording

I'm afraid not. The new law (just as the original version did) says that the state law regarding carry in parks will now be applied to national parks in that state. Since MS law does not allow carry in state parks, the new federal statute will have no effect in MS. You still won't be legal to carry in National Parks in MS. Goofy, but true.

Gonzo