• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sotomayor confirmation hearings

PDinDetroit

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
Did anyone else watch Sotomayor dance around Sen. Hatch's questions on the 2nd Amendment?

Man, did she ever just refuse to give an answer?
I believe that the question is: Would she give her life to protect our rights or would she give her life to give up our rights?

I would believe it is the latter...

the500kid

imported post

I wonder if its dawned on anybody that the only people overturned more than her are the clowns in the 9th circut. Maybe, just maybe she's really not that good of a judge. Especially since she seems to have missed the most landmark gun rulling of like the last 70 yrs. Just a thought.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

the500kid wrote:
Maybe, just maybe she's really not that good of a judge. Especially since she seems to have missed the most landmark gun rulling of like the last 70 yrs. Just a thought.

My reckoning is that she is not that good. She does seem to have not assimilated Heller v. D.C. in deciding Maloney v. Cuomo.

She'll get 80 votes in the Senate.

the500kid

imported post

HankT wrote:
My reckoning is that she is not that good. She does seem to have not assimilated Heller v. D.C. in deciding Maloney v. Cuomo.

She'll get 80 votes in the Senate.
I really hope your wrong on the 80 votes in the senate. I'm really hoping that it goes down party lines with a few Dems crossing over. Or better yet that it never gets out of committie like they did to a couple of Bush's. A guy can dream can't he.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Glad to see that even though it won't make a difference that there is at least an official record of the NRA objecting to her being confirmed.

The NRA is a weak-livered sellout group of political cronies who make a sham of having political power to represent gun owners.

If NRA is so durn 'politically powerful' why can't it get Sotomayor bounced out on her ear?

Hmmm?

Because it is w-e-a-k. That's why.

The GOA would've gotten Sotomayor defeated. Didn't get the chance, is all...

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:
Glad to see that even though it won't make a difference that there is at least an official record of the NRA objecting to her being confirmed.
The NRA is a weak-livered sellout group of political cronies who make a sham of having political power to represent gun owners.

If NRA is so durn 'politically powerful' why can't it get Sotomayor bounced out on her ear?

Hmmm?

Because it is w-e-a-k. That's why.
Because they only have 1/75th or less of the population as members.

HankT wrote:
The GOA would've gotten Sotomayor defeated. Didn't get the chance, is all...
How did the GOA miss the chance? Didn't they know that Sotomayor was getting appointed?