Thread: MI resident visiting GA

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)

Post imported post

What type of permits or licenses would I need if I want to OC in Georgia during my visit? I am a Michigan resident and OC is legal with no licensing or permit.

From what I understand of GA law, there is not aCPL or OC permit, just a permit to carrry, period. That means you can OC or CC, but need to have the permit first. Does that mean that I need a permit to conceal (CPL) from MI in order to OC in GA?

I also understand that one can transport a pistol in a vehicle as long as it is in open view and no permit is needed. Does that mean it can be loaded? What exactly is considered "in open view"?
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

ar15 sbr glock 19 beretta m9
    Proud Lifetime georgia carry member
    nam vet

Post imported post

So, I assume I need a MI CPL to OC in GA...
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Post imported post

you need a permit from a state GA honors. do you have a MI permit??

i recommend you check out www.georgiapacking.org for georgias gun laws in plain english

Post imported post

You need a permit from one of the States listed here:
    http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...375811,00.html

Non-resident permits are recognized.

Post imported post

Yes, otherwise the charge of:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128
    Carrying pistol without license

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a pistol without a license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

(c) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.
    As a non-resident of Georgia, you also need a permit to carry in your car. A resident, who is not ineligible for a GFL can carry anywhere in his or her vehicle without a permit.

Post imported post

Very good. That is what I was looking for. What the law says. I appreciate everyone's help in getting to this conclusion.
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

Post imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
    Yes, otherwise the charge of:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128
    Carrying pistol without license

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a pistol without a license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

(c) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.
    As a non-resident of Georgia, you also need a permit to carry in your car. A resident, who is not ineligible for a GFL can carry anywhere in his or her vehicle without a permit.
    According to http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

"Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit. It is also worthy of note that you MAY openly carry a firearm without a permit in a motor vehicle."

Way too confusing???

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    "Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit. It is also worthy of note that you MAY openly carry a firearm without a permit in a motor vehicle."
    [/quote]

I want to address the bolded portion of the quoted text.

Case law in Georgia indicates that a weapon is considered concealed in a vehicle unless it is visible from all on-lookers. Therefore, unless the gun is tapped to the windshield or hanging on a lanyard from the rear view mirror then it is NOT being openly carried according to the courts.

Post imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
    buster81 wrote:

Case law in Georgia indicates that a weapon is considered concealed in a vehicle unless it is visible from all on-lookers. Therefore, unless the gun is tapped to the windshield or hanging on a lanyard from the rear view mirror then it is NOT being openly carried according to the courts.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. So, when driving through, what do I do with my gun? Unload and put in glove box, unload and put in trunk?

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    Peacemaker wrote:
    buster81 wrote:

Case law in Georgia indicates that a weapon is considered concealed in a vehicle unless it is visible from all on-lookers. Therefore, unless the gun is tapped to the windshield or hanging on a lanyard from the rear view mirror then it is NOT being openly carried according to the courts.

Thanks for the info. So, when driving through, what do I do with my gun? Unload and put in glove box, unload and put in trunk?

get a NH license or PA etc whatever is the cheapest or go for a Florida

if you dont have a GFL or a license that has reciprocity you must carry unloaded cased etc in accordance to Federal Law