• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MI resident visiting GA

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

What type of permits or licenses would I need if I want to OC in Georgia during my visit? I am a Michigan resident and OC is legal with no licensing or permit.

From what I understand of GA law, there is not aCPL or OC permit, just a permit to carrry, period. That means you can OC or CC, but need to have the permit first. Does that mean that I need a permit to conceal (CPL) from MI in order to OC in GA?

I also understand that one can transport a pistol in a vehicle as long as it is in open view and no permit is needed. Does that mean it can be loaded? What exactly is considered "in open view"?

Peacemaker

imported post

Yes, otherwise the charge of:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128
Carrying pistol without license

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a pistol without a license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

(c) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

As a non-resident of Georgia, you also need a permit to carry in your car. A resident, who is not ineligible for a GFL can carry anywhere in his or her vehicle without a permit.

buster81

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
Yes, otherwise the charge of:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128
Carrying pistol without license

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a pistol without a license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

(c) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

As a non-resident of Georgia, you also need a permit to carry in your car. A resident, who is not ineligible for a GFL can carry anywhere in his or her vehicle without a permit.

According to http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/georgia-ccw-state-laws.php

"Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit. It is also worthy of note that you MAY openly carry a firearm without a permit in a motor vehicle."

Way too confusing???

Peacemaker

imported post

buster81 wrote:
"Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit. It is also worthy of note that you MAY openly carry a firearm without a permit in a motor vehicle."
[/quote]

I want to address the bolded portion of the quoted text.

Case law in Georgia indicates that a weapon is considered concealed in a vehicle unless it is visible from all on-lookers. Therefore, unless the gun is tapped to the windshield or hanging on a lanyard from the rear view mirror then it is NOT being openly carried according to the courts.

buster81

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
buster81 wrote:

Case law in Georgia indicates that a weapon is considered concealed in a vehicle unless it is visible from all on-lookers. Therefore, unless the gun is tapped to the windshield or hanging on a lanyard from the rear view mirror then it is NOT being openly carried according to the courts.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. So, when driving through, what do I do with my gun? Unload and put in glove box, unload and put in trunk?

rmodel65

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Peacemaker wrote:
buster81 wrote:

Case law in Georgia indicates that a weapon is considered concealed in a vehicle unless it is visible from all on-lookers. Therefore, unless the gun is tapped to the windshield or hanging on a lanyard from the rear view mirror then it is NOT being openly carried according to the courts.

Thanks for the info. So, when driving through, what do I do with my gun? Unload and put in glove box, unload and put in trunk?

get a NH license or PA etc whatever is the cheapest or go for a Florida

if you dont have a GFL or a license that has reciprocity you must carry unloaded cased etc in accordance to Federal Law