Thread: carry in a vehichle without cpl

Post imported post

Hey everyone I'm new here, but have been reading the forums for a couple weeks now. This is a great site and full of very helpful information. Just want to say thanks in advance for any info.

So my question is before i get in my car could I just drop my mag and leave my pistol in my holster and drive to whereI have to goor would thatbe considered concealed ? I haven't carried yet but want too, just wanted to clear up a few things before I do. Thanks again (I plan on getting my cpl just haven't had the time to put in the ap)

Post imported post

67lane wrote:
    Hey everyone I'm new here, but have been reading the forums for a couple weeks now. This is a great site and full of very helpful information. Just want to say thanks in advance for any info.

So my question is before i get in my car could I just drop my mag and leave my pistol in my holster and drive to whereI have to goor would thatbe considered concealed ? I haven't carried yet but want too, just wanted to clear up a few things before I do. Thanks again (I plan on getting my cpl just haven't had the time to put in the ap)
    Yes you can as long as you do not have a round chambered. Without a CPL an unloaded pistol is legal anywhere inside a vehicle.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    67lane wrote:
    Hey everyone I'm new here, but have been reading the forums for a couple weeks now.┬* This is a great site and full of very helpful information.┬* Just want to say thanks in advance for any info.

┬*┬*┬*┬*┬* So my question is before i get in my car could I just drop my mag and leave my pistol in my holster and drive to where┬*I have to go┬*or would that┬*be considered concealed ?┬* I haven't carried yet but want too, just wanted to clear up a few things before I do.┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬* Thanks again┬*┬*┬*┬* (I plan on getting my cpl just haven't had the time to put in the ap)
    Yes you can as long as you do not have a round chambered. Without a CPL an unloaded pistol is legal anywhere inside a vehicle.

That is not quite true.┬* The pistol is still illegal if concealed on the person.┬* That is why you have to be careful with it in a holster on your body, a cop who can't readily see it might consider it concealed, especially if he did not see it to begin with and he asks you if you have a weapon.┬* It is best to put it somewhere such as under the seat or glove box, or if you don't have a passenger, on the passenger seat.

It can be anywhere in the vehicle, so log as it is not concealed on the person.

Now if the cop happens to see it from one angle but not the other, then you have a pretty afirmative defense in court by simply asking the cop, "How did you first detect the pistol?"

"I saw it."

Case dismissed - if you saw it, it obviously could not have been concealed then, could it!
    Ahhh yes. I guess I misspoke. I really meant to say it was OK to open carry or have it anywhere in the vehicle.

Thanks for the correction NavyLT. :-)
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Thanks for the info. Carrying a pistol is a new thing for me and still getting up to speed on all the laws and their meanings. It's good to have a site like this and I like what it stands for.

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Information I am very glad to know.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington