• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rock Island Armory 1911

kodiak5bears

imported post

I have a .45 Rock Island 1911 that a friend dropped off to me with the firing pin retaining slide(?) not allowing the firing pin to go back to it's "normal" position.

With the firing pin out, the pin fits the hole in the retaining slide, however when I put everything back together, the pin does not protrude through the back?????

I very gently tapped the firing pin to "make it fit", however the firing pin does not move freely.

He has stated that it worked just fine, until he took it apart and was trying to put everything back together. I looked at the parts schematic and I know I am putting it back correctly and there are no missing parts!

Any thoughts??????????????????

Paul

hp-hobo

imported post

I hate to be a buzz killer, but...

If you're not exactly sure what you're doing while working on someone else's firearm, and I'm pretty sure youdon'tbecause you don't evenknow the name of the components you're working with and you're asking for advice here, maybe the smartest andsafest thing you could do would be to let someone who does take care of it. An unsafe or unreliable handgun is not worth the few dollars saved by doing kitchen table repairs, not to mention the liability that youassume by working on guns that are not your own.

Just sayin.

kodiak5bears

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
I hate to be a buzz killer, but...

If you're not exactly sure what you're doing while working on someone else's firearm, and I'm pretty sure youdon'tbecause you don't evenknow the name of the components you're working with and you're asking for advice here, maybe the smartest andsafest thing you could do would be to let someone who does take care of it. An unsafe or unreliable handgun is not worth the few dollars saved by doing kitchen table repairs, not to mention the liability that youassume by working on guns that are not your own.

Just sayin.

I do know what I am talking about?:?I just didn't remember the name to the "Firing Pin Stop".:p So please do not ASSume.:what:

And I have been working on firearms for the U.S. Coast Guard for many years, as I am a Chief Gunner's Mate with over 18 years in fixing weapons.:p I just haven't come across this particular problem and maybe someone has at one time.:shock:

Edited to say: I have already told my friend if I can't figureout the problem, he would need to take it to someone more experienced in fixing 1911s, like a gunsmith in town.:celebrate Haven't you ever helped out a friend? :?

Just sayin.:D

Paul