• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National call to action S.845

TFred

imported post

From http://blog.vcdl.org/index.php?/archives/605-VA-ALERT-Federal-Reciprocity-bill-is-moving!.html

1. URGENT ACTION ITEM: Federal reciprocity bill is moving

Gun Owners of America is reporting that federal Senate bill S. 845, which would establish concealed carry reciprocity between the states, could get a vote as early as MONDAY!

The vote could be on the wording being attached as an amendment to a Department of Defense authorization bill, H.R. 2647.

It is based on the "full faith and credit" in the Constitution and would allow you to carry in any state that allows citizens to carry concealed as long as your home state would let you carry concealed!

Here is the operative language that would effect us in Virginia:

`(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.

--

Paragraph #2 is similar, but takes care of Vermont and Alaska, where permits aren't required to carry concealed.

It does not cover Illinois or Wisconsin, as neither have any legal way for citizens to carry concealed handguns.

To send an email to Senators Warner and Webb using GOA's web site, click here:

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/alert/?alertid=13750856

Let's get cracking! Imagine being able to carry in NY, NJ, MA, MD(!), HI, DC (DC does have a "concealed carry" law on the books, but it's not used much at all), CA, etc.! Be still my beating heart...

TFred

imported post

I still believe there is a serious problem with the bill as written because the summary at the top indicates the permit must be issued by the state of residence, but the text in the body of the bill says it may be from "any state".

Someone needs to have them either fix the summary, or fix the text to match. Of course it would weaken the bill substantially to require a resident permit, as opposed to a permit from any state.

This discrepancy is just the kind of thing a liberal court would use to restrict the application of this bill to only resident permit holders.

TFred

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TFred wrote:
From http://blog.vcdl.org/index.php?/archives/605-VA-ALERT-Federal-Reciprocity-bill-is-moving!.html

1. URGENT ACTION ITEM: Federal reciprocity bill is moving

Gun Owners of America is reporting that federal Senate bill S. 845, which would establish concealed carry reciprocity between the states, could get a vote as early as MONDAY!

The vote could be on the wording being attached as an amendment to a Department of Defense authorization bill, H.R. 2647.

It is based on the "full faith and credit" in the Constitution and would allow you to carry in any state that allows citizens to carry concealed as long as your home state would let you carry concealed!

Here is the operative language that would effect us in Virginia:

`(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.

--

Paragraph #2 is similar, but takes care of Vermont and Alaska, where permits aren't required to carry concealed.

It does not cover Illinois or Wisconsin, as neither have any legal way for citizens to carry concealed handguns.

To send an email to Senators Warner and Webb using GOA's web site, click here:

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/alert/?alertid=13750856

Let's get cracking! Imagine being able to carry in NY, NJ, MA, MD(!), HI, DC (DC does have a "concealed carry" law on the books, but it's not used much at all), CA, etc.! Be still my beating heart...
I'm going to be watching this closely and will be contacting my representatives.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Im all for this just because I'd like to see what would happen if it passes. I think it would be good for Wisconsin and Illinois as well as far as getting permit laws passed. I think the most important thing to realize is that we have a window of opportunity to pass pro-RKBA legislation, this may not come again for a long time. I think pushing this and stuff like reopening the MG registry and bill allowing for interstate purchase of handguns is viable right now. The divided majority on guns seems to favor legislation we prefer and since they are railroading a lot of legislation through we would be smart to take advantage of that.

wayneco

imported post

I for one would be delighted if this passed so I could carry when I'm next door in California. The best thing to happen to California ever in terms of carry rights might be for the residents of every other state to be allowed to carry there.

This could end up being the lynchpin to cause California to flip from may to shall issue when the hue and cry of the citizenry over everyone else but residents being allowed to carry becomes unbearable.

It could also pressure all the other states to fall in line with shall issue for the same reason.

I'm sad that it wouldn't be good for carry in any of the 50 states but maybe that's the calculated compromise they had to consider to get legislative support for this bold rights initiative.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]Even if this passes, it is IMHO a case of winning the battle but losing the war. 2A and the rest of the BOR was NOT meant to apply to the states. Even though some important rights of the people have been protected through the doctrine of "selective incorporation", which is intellectually dishonest at best, on balance federalism and state sovereignty are much better guardians of liberty than the federal judiciary. Perhaps that's just because I live in Colorado where we have an excellent RKBA provision in our state Constitution.
[/align]

Utah_Patriot

imported post

This would be a good bussiness move for me. I contract with people to keep them safe.

I am limited by my permit where I can carry outside of Utah and where my permit is valid.

Just recently I had to turn down a job in Nevada due to the new rules my permit is not valid in NV. Myself and my client were not able to make the trip to to this change.

So I think this would be a good step forward towards the right direction

SGT Jensen may I understand why you say it is a bad Idea

KBCraig

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea, and that this is the completely wrong approach to fix the nationwide carry problem? :?

No. I've always argued against federally mandated reciprocity.

"But it should be just like drivers' licenses!", they whine. Yes, exactly: licenses are not accepted in all states because of federal mandates, they're accepted because of interstate agreements, and it took decades to achieve.

Just like current concealed carry reciprocity.

Also, don't forget that there are places your DL does you no good at all: there are historic areas where cars are banned, and you can't operate a motorcycle in most states, or a commercial vehicle in any state with just an operator's license.

TFred

imported post

It is interesting to consider what will happen if this bill passes.

I suspect that many states, especially the "may issue" states where it is for all intents and purposes impossible to get a permit, will be very angry about this, and I see a lot of LEO abuse and many unjustified arrests.

It is also interesting to consider what this will do to the "permit business". Many folks make a portion of their living training folks for various states' requirements. If this bill passes, any state permit will be as good as another, no longer will it matter which one has reciprocity with the most or even particular states.

I see people trending towards obtaining a permit from the "easiest" state to get one, cheapest, least amount of training required, least amount of documentation required. I don't know which one that is, but if this law passes, it will become common knowledge in about 10 minutes. I see the anti-gun folks making a big stink about that too.

Thoughts?

TFred

suntzu

imported post

Not to rain on the parade of everyone--and I am all for the concept provided for in this bill, BUT it is already provided for in the Full Faith and Credit Clause Article 4 sec. 1 of the Constitution...All that has to be done is to get ALL of the states on board and actually accept the Constitution as a whole document instead of trying to pick and choose what the individual states will and will not abide by....Full Faith and Credit would be the best way to go--less federal trampling on the Constitution in my opinion.

BUT any way you slice it, this bill is a violation of the 10th Amendment just like LEOSA....

Don't get me wrong, I am all for forcing D.C, and Kommiforniastan and the Democratic peoples republic of Illinois and the other communist states like New York into allowing out of state residents to carry within their boundaries...BUT it is still going to be a violation of the 10th Amendment...I would particularly be happy with forcing D.C to allow it....But is further allowing the power of the federal government to expand the correct way to do it? They are already eroding the Constitution at a rapid pace--this is just another step in that direction.

I like the idea behind it--bt this bill is wrong, just like LEOSA is wrong.

It is a well intentioned bill--but well intentioned or not--it is just more power grabbing by the federal government--further eroding the Constitution.

Now to another question--will S. 845 if it passes--also apply also to US overseas territories such as theUS Virgin Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico, and American Samoa?

suntzu

imported post

TFred wrote:
It is interesting to consider what will happen if this bill passes.

I suspect that many states, especially the "may issue" states where it is for all intents and purposes impossible to get a permit, will be very angry about this, and I see a lot of LEO abuse and many unjustified arrests.

TFred
And I would see a lot of lawsuits as well....

vbnative73

imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/07/families-va-tech-victims-oppose-gun-measure

Families, Va. Tech victims oppose gun measure

The Associated Press
© July 20, 2009
Some of the survivors and families of the victims of the deadly Virginia Tech shootings are appealing to Sens. Mark Warner and Jim Webb to reject a proposed national standard for carrying concealed weapons.

In a full-page ad in Monday's Richmond Times-Dispatch, about 30 families and individuals urged the two Democrats to vote against the so-called Thune concealed carry amendment.

Sponsored by South Dakota Sen. John Thune, the amendment would allow people licensed to carry concealed weapons in their home state to legally carry their weapons in other states.

The ad contends the amendment would allow residents from states with weak laws on concealed weapons to bring their handguns into Virginia.

Tech student Seung-Hui Cho (sung wee joh) killed 32 people before committing suicide on April 16, 2007.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Oh, Gawd, NOT the Va Tech families again? This is how the Bradyites work: they "love bomb" these poor bereaved souls and tell them they should "make a difference" so that their loss "will not be in vain". And THIS is an interesting twist: Virginia has to worry about OTHER states' "loose gun laws". HUH!!!???!!! Hells bells folks I thought the Bradyites said Virginia ALREADY HAD THE LOOSEST GUN LAWS IN THE NATION. Except, I suppose when it suits the Brady Bunch to say otherwise. :banghead:

Then there is today's Washington Post editorial on this proposal: "THE GUNS-everywhere-guns-for-all crowd in Congress is at it again. This time it's Sen John Thune's turn." The editorial goes on with the usual Post twaddle about "a frightening prospect" "reasonable restrictions" etc.; as well as a rehashing of the far Left's new-found respect for state's rights (as long as they agree with the states ). But here is the most astounding part:

"According to a coalition of gun-violence prevention groups, there have been three confirmed mass shootings carried out by people who had concealed-carry permits. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence reports there have been at least 19 shootings around the country involving such permit holders"

Methinks the Brady Bunch is using righteous shoots in their stats. Anyone here care to root out the lies here? We are dealing with some really common low-down skunks. Truly.:cuss:

TFred

imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
http://hamptonroads.com/2009/07/families-va-tech-victims-oppose-gun-measure

Families, Va. Tech victims oppose gun measure

The Associated Press
© July 20, 2009
Some of the survivors and families of the victims of the deadly Virginia Tech shootings are appealing to Sens. Mark Warner and Jim Webb to reject a proposed national standard for carrying concealed weapons.

In a full-page ad in Monday's Richmond Times-Dispatch, about 30 families and individuals urged the two Democrats to vote against the so-called Thune concealed carry amendment.

Sponsored by South Dakota Sen. John Thune, the amendment would allow people licensed to carry concealed weapons in their home state to legally carry their weapons in other states.

The ad contends the amendment would allow residents from states with weak laws on concealed weapons to bring their handguns into Virginia.

Tech student Seung-Hui Cho (sung wee joh) killed 32 people before committing suicide on April 16, 2007.
Apparently the author of this article read only the bill's summary, which implies a residency requirement, and not the full text, which does not...

TFred

TFred

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Oh, Gawd, NOT the Va Tech families again? This is how the Bradyites work: they "love bomb" these poor bereaved souls and tell them they should "make a difference" so that their loss "will not be in vain". And THIS is an interesting twist: Virginia has to worry about OTHER states' "loose gun laws". HUH!!!???!!! Hells bells folks I thought the Bradyites said Virginia ALREADY HAD THE LOOSEST GUN LAWS IN THE NATION. Except, I suppose when it suits the Brady Bunch to say otherwise. :banghead:

Then there is today's Washington Post editorial on this proposal: "THE GUNS-everywhere-guns-for-all crowd in Congress is at it again. This time it's Sen John Thune's turn." The editorial goes on with the usual Post twaddle about "a frightening prospect" "reasonable restrictions" etc.; as well as a rehashing of the far Left's new-found respect for state's rights (as long as they agree with the states ). But here is the most astounding part:

"According to a coalition of gun-violence prevention groups, there have been three confirmed mass shootings carried out by people who had concealed-carry permits. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence reports there have been at least 19 shootings around the country involving such permit holders"

Methinks the Brady Bunch is using righteous shoots in their stats. Anyone here care to root out the lies here? We are dealing with some really common low-down skunks. Truly.:cuss:
Here's a link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/19/AR2009071901689.html

TFred

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

National Park Carry not set to happen until FEB 2010, Congress could change something before then to stop or limit this carry. This current National Carry will pass no doubt now then in the future the feds will change it making it more restrictive for states like MT ID WY UT SD ND etc to be more like the Eastern Block Commie States and the Commie Left West Coast or just prohibit conceal carry all together by the feds like he says he can give and he can take away, remember changing speed limits, remember seat belt laws - the feds just threaten to not to give the states fed funds for highways until they changed their state laws of course of the states governors, attorney generals, legislator bowed down to the feds and changed the state laws. Both of these Bills were attached to something or another to pass - it's all a big game and part of the big plan.

Another part of the plan the Governor's Association just told the feds they do not need another stimulus package now, but they did not say they would not need one later.

Another part of the plan was that 33 State Attorneys supported the NRA in the SCOTUS case, all fluff, all show, all as some of you say "eye candy". Just like National Park Carry and National Carry is just "eye candy'.

Another part of the plan, yes the so-called National Health will be passed.

So what do the democrat and spineless republicans get out of these two bills of National Carry and National Park Carry ? SOTOMAYOR in the SCOTUS, then these democrat and spineless republicans have a majority on the SCOTUS, then anytime on the future from SEP 2009 & on they can drop the Carry Nationwide and in the Parks (the vote for SOTOMAYOR is in AUG 2009).

Also remember, Congress can pass it, but the President can Veto it. So Congress passes it then SOTOMAYOR is approved by Congress then President just veto's it or let's it become law to later modified or stop the law ---- guess how - the SCOTUS with SOTOMAYOR on it declares National Park and National Carry UN-constitutional.

then the Gun Carry People have nothing and democrats / spineless republicans have a majority on the SCOTUS which is why ? they are all (democrats / spineless republicans) worried about the latino/mexican/brown (these are the words SOTOMAYOR uses Capt Crunch) votes in the elections of 2010 and 2012

Think about Now who is in Power and who Controls the Admin Branch and Congress plus will soon control SCOTUS, figured the answer out yet ? So why would they give us National Park and Nation Carry ? as above it is all a big game and part of the big plan.

From the letters received back from Senators in even WY ID MT in the last few days by several of us, SOTOMAYOR will be approved for the SCOTUS, it is cut and dry.

NRA, SAF, GOA - will shortly look like hero's "to you" for the National Park and Nation Carry laws, but this will go away in the near. Plus they get to keep fighting supposedly for us - their job security.

As far as I am concerned State's Rights are being lost and the feds are becoming more powerful - which as our Founder's would tell us is not a good thing.

So supporters of this, you will go quietly into the night like sheep lead by the Judas Goats that speak with a Forked Tongue of a Snake. Many on here say they support the 2A but then they themselves want restrictions on the 2A. Just like the feds lied to the Indians in the past.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Just by the bye, the editorial I quoted was contained in the SAME PAPER that had on the front page an article about crime being DOWN in DC (but which of course did not mention that this is "despite" the Heller decision and the hordes of residents who may now legally protect themselves - at least in their abodes - with a firearm. Nope, not a mention of the fact that more guns has statistically co-related (yet again) with less crime. Lying sacks of crap.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
National Park Carry not set to happen until FEB 2010, Congress could change something before then to stop or limit this carry. This current National Carry will pass no doubt now then in the future the feds will change it making it more restrictive for states like MT ID WY UT SD ND etc to be more like the Eastern Block Commie States and the Commie Left West Coast or just prohibit conceal carry all together by the feds like he says he can give and he can take away, remember changing speed limits, remember seat belt laws - the feds just threaten to not to give the states fed funds for highways until they changed their state laws of course of the states governors, attorney generals, legislator bowed down to the feds and changed the state laws. Both of these Bills were attached to something or another to pass - it's all a big game and part of the big plan.

Another part of the plan the Governor's Association just told the feds they do not need another stimulus package now, but they did not say they would not need one later.

Another part of the plan was that 33 State Attorneys supported the NRA in the SCOTUS case, all fluff, all show, all as some of you say "eye candy". Just like National Park Carry and National Carry is just "eye candy'.

Another part of the plan, yes the so-called National Health will be passed.

So what do the democrat and spineless republicans get out of these two bills of National Carry and National Park Carry ? SOTOMAYOR in the SCOTUS, then these democrat and spineless republicans have a majority on the SCOTUS, then anytime on the future from SEP 2009 & on they can drop the Carry Nationwide and in the Parks (the vote for SOTOMAYOR is in AUG 2009).

Also remember, Congress can pass it, but the President can Veto it. So Congress passes it then SOTOMAYOR is approved by Congress then President just veto's it or let's it become law to later modified or stop the law ---- guess how - the SCOTUS with SOTOMAYOR on it declares National Park and National Carry UN-constitutional.

then the Gun Carry People have nothing and democrats / spineless republicans have a majority on the SCOTUS which is why ? they are all (democrats / spineless republicans) worried about the latino/mexican/brown (these are the words SOTOMAYOR uses Capt Crunch) votes in the elections of 2010 and 2012

Think about Now who is in Power and who Controls the Admin Branch and Congress plus will soon control SCOTUS, figured the answer out yet ? So why would they give us National Park and Nation Carry ? as above it is all a big game and part of the big plan.

From the letters received back from Senators in even WY ID MT in the last few days by several of us, SOTOMAYOR will be approved for the SCOTUS, it is cut and dry.

NRA, SAF, GOA - will shortly look like hero's "to you" for the National Park and Nation Carry laws, but this will go away in the near. Plus they get to keep fighting supposedly for us - their job security.

As far as I am concerned State's Rights are being lost and the feds are becoming more powerful - which as our Founder's would tell us is not a good thing.

So supporters of this, you will go quietly into the night like sheep lead by the Judas Goats that speak with a Forked Tongue of a Snake. Many on here say they support the 2A but then they themselves want restrictions on the 2A. Just like the feds lied to the Indians in the past.

Tinfoil hat.

milkmanjoe

imported post

And I will quote my father from forty years ago when he said:

"Joey, always remember, if the Federal Government ran the Sahara Desert there would be a shortage of sand".

I have believed this since I was eight years old and it keeps ringing true. I am against the fed taking over concealed permits. They will find so many ways to gather information and not issue permits to current holders. Once they get our medical records most of us won't be able to carry. Any little divot in our lives and permits will be revoked or not issued. The current system works fine, other states will come on board as people fight for their rights, and most of us will never, ever need to carry in all 50 states.