Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colerain Twp. cops Want Assault Rifles

Banned

Post imported post

Post imported post

And...?

State Researcher

Post imported post

As long as they don't get something the locals can't legally own, who cares?

I dislike the term "assault rifle" when referring to a semi auto, but like clip for magazine, the misuse seems to have entered the language.

Olympia Police all have an AR -15 (made by Olympic Arms, go figure) and a Remington 870 in their cars, along with whatever sidearm the officers choose.

And I could give a crap.

Olympia is considered the 6th safest city in the US of it's size. The cops have guns the people can buy, and the people here can have the guns the cops have if they want. A town full of liberal moonbats for sure, but there is plenty of firepower here.

My point is, we really shouldn't give a crap. I don't care if cops have long arms in their cars. They've got an "assault rifle" I've got an "assault rifle." They've got a shotgun, I've got a shotgun. They've got a handgun, I've got one. If I had the money I'd have a .50 BMG which they don't have. And the overall statement again is "Who cares?"

If they all had full auto weapons in their cars I'd be pissed. They don't.

Post imported post

They have full-auto M16s in shotgun racks here in Alexandria. So if the SHTF I know how to get one.

Banned

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:

Olympia Police all have an AR -15 (made by Olympic Arms, go figure) and a Remington 870 in their cars, along with whatever sidearm the officers choose.

And I could give a crap.

Olympia is considered the 6th safest city in the US of it's size. The cops have guns the people can buy, and the people here can have the guns the cops have if they want. A town full of liberal moonbats for sure, but there is plenty of firepower here.
    Of course the cops have plenty of firepower. The left has always advocated arming their governments to the teeth. Why would you see tension there?

My point is, we really shouldn't give a crap. I don't care if cops have long arms in their cars. They've got an "assault rifle" I've got an "assault rifle." They've got a shotgun, I've got a shotgun. They've got a handgun, I've got one.
    They have a monopoly on the use of force. You have a...?

Banned

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    They have full-auto M16s in shotgun racks here in Alexandria. So if the SHTF I know how to get one.
    I have gotten to know the county Sheriff . I want his department to be well armed . Full automatic weapons are OK by me .

WTSHTF I am still a law abiding citizen .

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:

And I could give a crap.

Of course the cops have plenty of firepower. The left has always advocated arming their governments to the teeth. Why would you see tension there?

My point is, we really shouldn't give a crap. I don't care if cops have long arms in their cars. They've got an "assault rifle" I've got an "assault rifle." They've got a shotgun, I've got a shotgun. They've got a handgun, I've got one.

Back in the 70s the Left strenuously objected to riot guns in cop cars as "offensive weapons". And they do NOT have a "monopoly" on use of force. That "monopoly" crap is a key ingredient of KoolAid.

Banned

Post imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:
    I have gotten to know the county Sheriff . I want his department to be well armed . Full automatic weapons are OK by me .

And the law in such a nation is?

Post imported post

Police say they are coming into contact more often with suspects armed with semi-automatic weapons. Officers carry 9mm handguns.

"All we are trying to do is get on the same level playing field as the bad guys," Demeropolis said.

If the request is approved, the weapons would be in cruisers for use as needed in about a year, he said. Officers would still carry their handguns.

after a gunman armed with an assault rifle killed three relatives in a home...

When police responded to that incident, the suspect, Timothy Sturgel, pointed an assault rifle at officers, Demeropolis said.

"No one had anything to return fire with besides a handgun," Demeropolis recalled. "You're fighting a losing battle like that."

An assault rifle also was used in the August 2004 shootings at a Kmart store in Colerain that killed a Kmart employee and seriously wounded a customer, he said.

Post imported post

When I was studying Criminal Justice Administration at NVCC I suggested that 9mm pistols would maybe be better equipment than revolvers for a modern force, whereupon (this was 1978) I was just about laughed outta the campus by officers who said "You are NEVER going to see a 9mm in Fairfax County". I kinda lamely pointed out that .38Spl and .357 Mag were both actually 9mm rounds but......

I also got hoots of derision when I suggested bike patrols, and for much the same reasons as they are actually used today. SO. Today the young visionary is a middle aged cabbie and his detractors?

They are riding bikes and packing nines.

They're right. It DOES taste better when eaten cold. :celebrate

Banned

Post imported post

Remember David Spade donated $ 100,000 to the Phoenix Police Department inorder to buy much needed high-powered rifles to defend the city from the growing influence of the Mexican Drug Cartels .

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,471244,00.html

Post imported post

David Spade is an idiot, Razor. He is a dancing monkey and I do not look to entertiners for wisdom (nor do I expect them to be any dumber than the average Joe) and the Department may have needed the arms; and may well have welcomed Spade's donation. But David Spade is an IDIOT.

State Researcher

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:

Collection of about 16 guns and thousands of rounds. So you tell me.

Banned

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    smoking357 wrote:

Collection of about 16 guns and thousands of rounds. So you tell me.
    I frankly don't know what to infer of your intent from such an inventory.

State Researcher

Post imported post

It means that if the government had a monopoly on force I would not own any guns.

It means that I have the ability to apply force in my own defense or that of another.

It means that when the Washington State Constitution spells out that the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense or defense of the state shall not be impaired, that I have arms for that purpose, and thus there is no monopoly on force.

And if you are worried over a small collection and a couple of cases of ammo, you are probably on the wrong forum.

Post imported post

The term 'monopoly of use of force' is a recent term that haswormed its wayinto common use. It is BS. The Second Amendment specifically guards against the government having such a monopoly.

Banned

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    It means that if the government had a monopoly on force I would not own any guns.
    That doesn't follow, actually.

And if you are worried over a small collection and a couple of cases of ammo, you are probably on the wrong forum.
    Why are you're worried about my guns?

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:
    Why are you so worried about everyone else's?

Banned

Post imported post

Highlander wrote:
    smoking357 wrote:
    Why are you so worried about everyone else's guns?

Be like me and most people on this site and stay out of other people's gun rights.

Sheesh.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

Highlander wrote:
    smoking357 wrote:
    Just for everyones information:

I used to have more guns than sv, and much more ammo;but alas,it wasall lost in a tragic boating accident.:quirky
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:

I for one would never want the police to have access to fully automatic or select fire weapons. I personally would like to see even "swat" teams reduced to the same semi-auto firearms that we have access to.

They should have only equal firepower to what we can have--nothing more and nothing less. And if they can have the newest G36 then we should too. If we are reduced to semi-auto rifles then they should as well.

Post imported post

suntzu wrote:
    R a Z o R wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:

I for one would never want the police to have access to fully automatic or select fire weapons. I personally would like to see even "swat" teams reduced to the same semi-auto firearms that we have access to.

They should have only equal firepower to what we can have--nothing more and nothing less. And if they can have the newest G36 then we should too. If we are reduced to semi-auto rifles then they should as well.
    You too can own full auto and semi auto weapons.

You can buy a full autoM-16, Ak-47, Mac 10, or MP5.

You can get any semi auto rifle that the swat team has.

While a citizen can go out and buy any of these guns... the law enforcement community cannot. They must first ask and request the funds. Locations with tight budgets cannot afford to buy them. This is why David donated money for guns I guess.

It is evident that over the years the law enforcement community has been "outgunned" by criminals adopting rifles. Perhaps to shoot farther and make it thru a vest to better stop the police. This has created the push for law enforcement to get a few riflesout on the street.

The days of Andy Griffith and the streets of Mayberry are long over. Criminals know that Andy now packs a gun and a vest. He also carries a ballistic shield too. So they know that they need to one up him if they intend to stop him from chasing them during a get-a-way.

It is unfortunate that we citizens cannot purchase the newest full auto weapons registered after 19 may 1986. But we still have access to many full auto firearms registered prior to that date.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    It is unfortunate that we citizens cannot purchase the newest full auto weapons registered after 19 may 1986. But we still have access to many full auto firearms registered prior to that date.
    Yes, and they only cost us a huge amount of money. Last I checked, you couldn't get a full auto M16 for less than $12,000. With a department letterhead, it's more like $1,000

We may still "technically" be able to get them but almost all of us are priced out of the market.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Yes, and they only cost us a huge amount of money. Last I checked, you couldn't get a full auto M16 for less than $12,000. With a department letterhead, it's more like $1,000

We may still "technically" be able to get them but almost all of us are priced out of the market.
    While some full auto guns are very popular and priced high... you can also get a full auto Mac 10 for around $3000.

The main point was cancelling the argument that you could not have a full auto firearm... making it appear that only the cops could have them.

I am aware that many departments have AR-15 rifles and not M-16's. Those that do have the "M-16" model.. have had thefull auto sear removed rendering it a semi auto gun.

The purpose is to give the street cop a rifle so he can defend against criminals using rifles. There is no need to pray and spray. A cop in an urban setting needs to know where every round is going.

Very few members of any law enforcement agency have full auto guns. So this argument is kinda pointless.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Brass Magnet wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

While some full auto guns are very popular and priced high... you can also get a full auto Mac 10 for around $3000.

The main point was cancelling the argument that you could not have a full auto firearm... making it appear that only the cops could have them.

I am aware that many departments have AR-15 rifles and not M-16's. Those that do have the "M-16" model.. have had thefull auto sear removed rendering it a semi auto gun.

The purpose is to give the street cop a rifle so he can defend against criminals using rifles. There is no need to pray and spray. A cop in an urban setting needs to know where every round is going.

Very few members of any law enforcement agency have full auto guns. So this argument is kinda pointless.
    Not trying to make an argument; just pointing out that they are prohibitively expensive for the common man, even at$3,000. (I spent 2,150 on a Browning 625 sporting and it took me years to bring myself to spend the money)

AFAIK, Most mid to large cities have full auto's for their SWAT and normal AR-15's for the duty guys. One of my friends works on some SWAT guns here in Wisconsin and they are full auto.

I have no problem whatsoever with the street cop getting an AR-15. In an urban setting though, I would think that a different round other than .223 would be more effective for their needs and less destructive in the case of a miss. A nice semi-auto modeled after a sub-gun like the HK-UMP (USC) for instance. I've got a USC, and it's excellent to about 150 yards.... just about perfect for the city.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast