• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrier saves lives from mass shooter in Richmond, VA

va_tazdad

imported post

Now that the BG has died from terminal lead poisoning, Lets hope there are no attempts at reprisal from his buddies.

He got justice as far as I am concerned.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
KS_to_CA wrote:
And what is the emphasis on "Western-style" anything? :shock:

Maybe they figure if they mentioned the "Western" style armament the MSM will pick it up and try to spin it into another "Shootout at the OK Corral" sort of thing. They always accuse us carriers, especially the OC'ers, of being a bunch of crazy cowboys looking for a gun fight.

Heck they might even try to write it up exagerated like the old "Wild West" novelletes

I swear Ithink there is an alarming rate of OCDO users whojust type and don't really read.

"Western style" is a very accurate description of the good guy's rig.

riverrat10k

imported post

architect wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:
Just got back from the Richmond, VA monthly OC dinner where we dined with over 100 friends and family.
Just curious...how did you avoid getting caught in the deadly crossfire? How many guns got drunk? :lol:
Only problem I saw was an undersized and probably underage HiPoint trying to sneak a beer. His daddy kept him on a tight reign in the holster, though.:D

rodbender

imported post

I'm surprised that the media didn't call for the GG's butt to be hung for shootingthe BGwhile he wasreloading. Poor guy didn't have a chance, don't you know?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

va_tazdad wrote:
Now that the BG has died from terminal lead poisoning, Lets hope there are no attempts at reprisal from his buddies...
Where did you find that he died? There isn't a link from the original story.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BB62 wrote:
va_tazdad wrote:
Now that the BG has died from terminal lead poisoning, Lets hope there are no attempts at reprisal from his buddies...
Where did you find that he died? There isn't a link from the original story.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/ROBBGAT15_20090715-164401/280083/

Published: July 15, 2009

A man shot by a customer while attempting to rob a South Richmond convenience store died today.

James Grooms, 30, of the 2200 block of Chalfont Drive in South Side, died about 11:20 a.m. at VCU Medical Center, Richmond police said today.

Grooms shot the owner of the Golden Food Market at 2701 Jefferson Davis Highway before an armed customer shot the attempted robber once in the torso, police and witnesses say.

The owner, Mustapha Kassou, was shot twice but returned to work yesterday.

Kassou expressed sorrow today about Grooms' death.

"To be honest, I didn't want him to die. I just wanted him to be punished for whatever he did," Kassou said.

Police said the investigation of the attempted robbery and shootings is ongoing.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Lets hope they bury him in chicago so he can be dug up and dumped
in the trash a second time.

Wasn't on the news down here, guess they had to cover the peta salad
wearing playmates over the river in DC. But in the media's defense, we had
our own store clerk take out a robber yesterday as well in B'ham.:celebrate:celebrate
Still haven't figured out why the robber would shoot himself, unless he wanted
to stop the pain from the other 4 shots clerk put in him. Best guess is media
bias goofed the story.

I think I would have preferred to look at a nice "western" still smokin' gun
over plastic inflated salad any day.

The good news is since they are dead they will not count against BHO
unemployment numbers.

Just wish they heros could be paid out of victim funds for the bullets,
they cost so much these days.

KS_to_CA

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
KS_to_CA wrote:

Maybe they figure if they mentioned the "Western" style armament the MSM will pick it up and try to spin it into another "Shootout at the OK Corral" sort of thing. They always accuse us carriers, especially the OC'ers, of being a bunch of crazy cowboys looking for a gun fight.

Heck they might even try to write it up exagerated like the old "Wild West" novelletes
I swear Ithink there is an alarming rate of OCDO users whojust type and don't really read.

I understand the rig was "western style", but why the emphasis? It brings pictures of people wearing guns on their hips, bullets in belts, gung-ho attitude, maybe the spurs, horses, and cheap whiskey.

I have yet to hear something in the line of "plastic holster with a retention systemthat clips to the belt where the gun is secured unless drawn by a person who knows how it is done, making the gun safely holstered and unlikely to accidentally pop out".

Ever heard of "balanced news"?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:
I understand the rig was "western style", but why the emphasis? It brings pictures of people wearing guns on their hips, bullets in belts, gung-ho attitude, maybe the spurs, horses, and cheap whiskey.

I have yet to hear something in the line of "plastic holster with a retention systemthat clips to the belt where the gun is secured unless drawn by a person who knows how it is done, making the gun safely holstered and unlikely to accidentally pop out".

Nope! :?

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
KS_to_CA wrote:

It was newsworthy because it was unusual, and people are interested in the modern day connection to the "old west" lore - good and bad - that is a significant part of our history.

TFred

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Amazing as this story is... I would not choose any SAA as a personal defense weapon. I have no idea why the trigger sear failed... 'improper 'rework' maybe.

Uberti revolvers include the 1875 Army Outlaw, 1875 Frontier, and 1890 Remington Police. Remington entered the cartridge revolver market in 1875 when it introduced a big-frame, Army-style revolver—a six-shooter—to compete with the Colt Peacemaker. The 1875 Remington single actions kept the solid frame and overall styling of Remington’s 1858 percussion models. Ordinary citizens and Old West lawmen alike recognized the sturdy quality of the new Remington revolvers. The infamous Frank James even carried one for most of his outlaw career. Faithful reproductions, the Uberti 1875 Army Outlaw and 1875 Frontier are available in Frank’s favorite caliber, .45 Colt.

Personally... I'd stick with a Ruger Vaquero SAA or a gennie Colt ifI had nothing other... But, as to 'western' rigs: All those19th century SAAguns were mfg in the northeastern states. They were the handguns and holstersof the day.

'This' is a western rig. Yes... that's Tombstone. The OK Corral is about a block down on the other side ofAllen St.

sraacke

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Amazing as this story is... I would not choose any SAA as a personal defense weapon. I have no idea why the trigger sear failed... 'improper 'rework' maybe.
It may be as simple as that this SAA was the only weapon the shop owner could afford or already owned. Sure it's not what you may want but if it's all you have at the time then you go with it. Would the guy have been wishing he had a nice Glock? Sure but a poor shop owner may not have the money available to spend on a high quality gun.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Those types of pistols sell for $539.00 - $639.00. Well within' large calibre semi-auto price ranges.

Leader

imported post

yale wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
It may be as simple as that this SAA was the only weapon the shop owner could afford or already owned. Sure it's not what you may want but if it's all you have at the time then you go with it. Would the guy have been wishing he had a nice Glock? Sure but a poor shop owner may not have the money available to spend on a high quality gun.

What difference does that make, the store owner didn't even HAVE a gun?????

The gun owner was just a customer at the store, he was also a friend of the store owner.

It would help if you read the article before you enlighten us with your wisdom.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
What's that supposed to mean? :p

I s'pose you're too dense to figure it out. It's a measure of a bore from land to land in fractions of an inch, (The high spots) rather than in millimeters.

Y'know... like that sissy 9 you use. :banghead:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
What's that supposed to mean? :p
Actually it is quite acceptable. :D

cal·i·bre n.
Chiefly British

Variant of caliber.

Yata hey
As if I didn't know this.

Sorry, I'm not about to let Sonora get away with using British spellings. And who said that was acceptable practice, anyway? I beg to differ!