• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone carry any other type of weapon?

Bader

imported post

Besides your pistol, do you carry any other type of weapon? If so, what all do you carry (if you don't mind sharing)

I carry a can of O.C. (Vexor brand) and a folding pocket knife. I realize there could potentially be situations that I'm confronted with where deadly force isn't necessarily justifiable, and I would want to have a back up plan.

For example, if an intoxicated, unarmed man starts to get violent, it wouldn't be grounds to shoot him, etc etc. There are many circumstances that I can think of where a less than lethal option would be necessary, which is why I carry O.C. spray.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

oc spray. isn't that good of a deterrent. its more in your mind then theirs. If you feel the need to use any type of weapon. then you best use your pistol.

there is that saying better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

i'd rather be charged with discharging a firearm into the ground if that would stop someone instead of using deadly force. you can never bring back a life.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
SNIP If you feel the need to use any type of weapon. then you best use your pistol. SNIP there is that saying better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

SNIP you can never bring back a life.

You seem to contradict yourself with your two statements here.

I can think of plenty of times when a good OC spray or a collapsable baton would offer a decent intermediate between hands-on fighting and shooting a firearm. A knife is a deadly weapon just like a gun (as can the collapsable baton, if used as such). If I felt the need to "pull my knife" I would likely be justified in using my gun to defend myself. However, as said before, not EVERYONE needs to get shot. Sometimes any resistance at all is enough to stop an attack. I carry a small OC canister on occasion, for just such instances. Other times, I'm lazy, and only carry my gun.

cynicist

imported post

a knife, about 3 1/2''. At very close quarters, I believe it in some circumstances to be a better option, such as in a crowded area. It's also more difficult to take away than a pistol.

Decoligny

imported post

Anything and everything can be used as an improvised weapon.

Sitting here at my desk I have at least a dozen items that I could use for self defense.

Scissors, Pens, Keyboard, letter opener, paperweight, metal ruler, just to name a few.

But, I normally carry at least two knives on me at all times, I also carry a mini-maglite that serves especially well as a kobuton.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I carry one of these clipped in my pocket. But I'm no trained knife fighter and I consider it more of a tool than a weapon. I use it for everyday activities that require a knife. I'd probably use my fists before I tried to fight someone with it.

EDIT: Pic won't show, it's a Gerber Paraframe.

Vandal

imported post

I carry my Benchmade Griptillian and do train with it, mainly the basics though.
I primarily carry my knife as a working tool though.

I also carry two extra guns attached at the shoulder :dude:

warhammerjr

imported post

I carry my surefire E2D LED Defender as well as my M18 Taser open carried. I need to get a new knife though.

The reason why no firearm is because I've still got 6 months until I can open carry.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I got this squishy thing between my ears...

It's my best weapon, second is my voicebox...

opencary?

imported post

Vandal wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
I got this squishy thing between my ears...

It's my best weapon, second is my voicebox...

You replaced your brain with a sponge? Interesting, very interesting :D
He never had any. He is using sponge as just a fill in. Joking Techno:p.

SANDRAT

imported post

A Benchmade 5000,more of an every day tool,also a "Sportsmens Defense Pencil" clipped in my pocket,it's an automatic,4" steel needle,drafting tool.And yes,it's legal in WA,they are actually manufactured here.Also,my dog always accompanies me,she won't bite anyone,but, an 80lb black lab is a hell of a distraction.

okkid

imported post

I carry a cheap Smith & Wessom S.W.A.T and a sheap led light.

I see most carry big money stuff I go for cheap but gets the job done.

SANDRAT

imported post

okkid wrote:
I carry a cheap Smith & Wessom S.W.A.T and a sheap led light.

I see most carry big money stuff I go for cheap but gets the job done.

I can only speak for myself.I buy the best that I can afford,never once have I had "Buyers Remorse" after purchasing a quality product.You can always trade up.

Don't confuse inexpensive with cheap,there is a differance.

okkid

imported post

What I have works good and will do the job and I know it wi stand up for whatever

comes it way.