• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tac thigh holster question

brad9point0

imported post

I hate to always be the one with the idiot questions but I am looking for a bit of input. Not going in to too much detail, I want to make sure my UOC is 100% visible as a certain people :cuss: have an issue with visibility... That is all I am going to say on that matter.

I am thinking of going with a tactical thigh holster, and no not for the tactiCOOL factor. Upon reading California Penal Code 12025(f), "Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section." I am a little confused.

Does a tac holster qualify as a belt holster? It is anchored to the belt as well as the thigh.... so? I would say it qualifies but I would like the thoughts of others.

thanks in advance!

Roy

imported post

IMO it qualifies as well as shoulder holsters. The carried openly in a belt holster is used as an example of what open carry is.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

My tactical "thigh" holster would fall to the ground if it wasn't attached to my belt! Attachment to the belt is functionally critical for my "thigh" holster. I think the thigh straps are to keep it from flapping in the wind like the cords at the bottom of some Western belt holsters.

As a matter of preference, I don't like mytactical "thigh" holster becausethethigh straps eventually work their way to the small part of my thigh and the fit is not like I had when I originally put it on.

IMO a tactical "thigh" holster is a type of "belt holster".

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
My tactical "thigh" holster would fall to the ground if it wasn't attached to my belt! Attachment to the belt is functionally critical for my "thigh" holster. I think the thigh straps are to keep it from flapping in the wind like the cords at the bottom of some Western belt holsters.

As a matter of preference, I don't like mytactical "thigh" holster becausethethigh straps eventually work their way to the small part of my thigh and the fit is not like I had when I originally put it on.

IMO a tactical "thigh" holster is a type of "belt holster".
That's the best logic I've heard all day! Great points!

cato

imported post

12025f is an explicit declaration of what is not considered concealed. It doesn't, however,preclude other "open" methods of carry. A drop leg or thigh holster is certainly more visible thena smaller belt holster and it is nearly impossible for police to arrest claiming ones shirt was covering itor wasn't tucked in (DO tuck in your shirts when OCing please;)).

brad9point0

imported post

NOW i hear the tuck in the shirt rule.... wish I knew that one already...... it would save me a lot of upcoming headache...

Roy

imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
NOW i hear the tuck in the shirt rule.... wish I knew that one already...... it would save me a lot of upcoming headache...
No offense.. but that is just common sense.

brad9point0

imported post

Well it was 100% visible, it was vengeful police officers angry that I filed a complaint for rudeness and threats. They just magically happened to be outside my residence when I was leaving at my typical dog walking time... I have several witnesses and video of the whole event start to finish so I am in the clear but its a huge headache in the meantime.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
It's not so much a "rule" as a "good idea".

Kinda like it's a good idea to wear shoes when walking on asphalt in August.

I'm glad to hear you were wise enough to have friendly witnesses and audio/video.

Sounds like you may have acquired some uniformed stalkers... keep your guard up until this is resolved.

brad9point0

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
brad9point0 wrote:
It's not so much a "rule" as a "good idea".

Kinda like it's a good idea to wear shoes when walking on asphalt in August.

I'm glad to hear you were wise enough to have friendly witnesses and audio/video.

Sounds like you may have acquired some uniformed stalkers... keep your guard up until this is resolved.

yeah.... its going to be a total pain the in rear... owell thats my life! but now i will be sure to tuck in shirt if im going belt or just use tac thigh holster. When I heard the allegations of the BS going on with this dept. i thought it was a bunch of people making things up but now i realize... its a VERY corrupt dept..... sad....

demnogis

imported post

I UOC with a drop-leg (thigh) holster.

It makes it impossible for someone to allege that the firearm was concealed. Unless you somehow are able to contort your body in ways only young gymnasts can. :shock:

Also, despite what officers may tell you, if you have a loaded mag in the front pouch (if so equipped) it is still not attached to the firearm.

And I must agree... When OCing tuck in your shirt. It gives a bit more 'formality' to the person carrying.

Draankol

imported post

demnogis wrote:
I UOC with a drop-leg (thigh) holster.

It makes it impossible for someone to allege that the firearm was concealed. Unless you somehow are able to contort your body in ways only young gymnasts can. :shock:

Also, despite what officers may tell you, if you have a loaded mag in the front pouch (if so equipped) it is still not attached to the firearm.

And I must agree... When OCing tuck in your shirt. It gives a bit more 'formality' to the person carrying.

Please excuse the noob ??? but, I am new to the forum (this is my first post) and I would like to know what you do about magazines? Is it legal to carry loaded magazines? I thought when transporting a gun, it was illegal to have rounds in the mag.

What do you do when you're in your car? Is your piece in the holster, on the seat next to you, inthe trunk? What about the mags?

I am 37 years old, college educated, former military and a white collar guy at the largest employer in Orange County and I think it's time I learned more about this, so please excuse the barrage of questions.

Army

imported post

unless is a button-up with slacks, i dont tuck my shirt in.what i do to avoid my shirt concealing my gun issafety pin my shirt on both sides to the inside of my pants directly under my gun and mag holster. most people dont tuck t-shirts in, so i feel like if i do while carrying,to the average person it will seem thati am trying really hard to put it out there that i have a gun.
Tucking in presents a more "clean" look. The more willing we are to look professional and confident, the more difficult it will be to categorize or stereotype UO carriers.

I always wear a button shirt, polo, or a t-shirt that has my name embroidered. Clean jeans or dress slacks, and nice shoes or boots. The more I do NOT look like a regular Joe, shlumping down the avenue, the less attention I bring to myself.

Who gets more attention from Police and public: the wanna-be look-alike gangbanger trying to look dangerous and all MTV....or the nicely attired person going about his business?

A great advantage of drop holsters, is wearing a jacket in colder weather does not cover your weapon.

Army

imported post

Please excuse the noob ??? but, I am new to the forum (this is my first post) and I would like to know what you do about magazines? Is it legal to carry loaded magazines? I thought when transporting a gun, it was illegal to have rounds in the mag.

Only illegal magazine carry, is loaded and inserted in the gun. Normally, we carry with an empty mag inserted (to keep out dirt, and to maintain the illusion of loaded).

Case law has a loaded magazine inside your pocket during the commission of a crime....even with NO firearm in the area....is a crime under the gang member statutes. You can be charged with a concealed weapon.

You may legally carry as many loaded magazines you want, (and with any ammo--other than armor piercing or tracer) as long as they remain in the open also.

What do you do when you're in your car? Is your piece in the holster, on the seat next to you, inthe trunk? What about the mags?

Holsters are NOT concealed, as per law. As long as the weapon is EMPTY, you can have it openly on the seat, dash, or hip.

Huge exception!! When within 1000' of a REASONABLY KNOWN TO YOU school zone----K through 12 ONLY----the firearm MUST be in a locked case (no legal description of the case, only that a combo or key lock may be used). California's version of this law only concerns firearms that can be concealed on your person. Federal version includes all longarms.

The main catch, is that you must have "reasonable knowledge" of the school location. Strange town? There is no reasonable reason why you must research where all K-12 schools may be. Case in point; I was recently in San Diego, UO carrying in a rather popular tourist beach area. While I was "(e) checked" by Police, I was informed of a possible school zone violation. Police research showed that it was an office building, and not a school. I was allowed resume obeying the law with my gun on my hip.

I am 37 years old, college educated, former military and a white collar guy at the largest employer in Orange County and I think it's time I learned more about this, so please excuse the barrage of questions.

This website, and http://www.calguns.net , are your best resources for California carry laws, weapons laws, and like-minded friends.

:)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Draankol wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

www.californiaopencarry.org is a well organized collection of information. (Just be aware some of the LE memos posted there have bad information. Check facts by reading the relevant codes and case law.)

There are no special rules for carrying in your car when it comes to open carry. The only car-related rule you need to worry about is if you choose to conceal in your car via one of the "locked container" exceptions. Any fully-enclosing, locked container will do, EXCEPT the secure container cannot be your glove box or console. (Though you could stow your locking container inside the glovebox.)

Learning CA's gun laws is quite the endeaver. Not only are the statutes written incoherently, there is a ton of case law on top of that. Further, you will find a good amount of misinformation coming from LE, gun shops, and almost everybody in between.

Feel free to ask questions here, but please use the forum search function first. We've covered virtually every possible question at some point, so the answer may already be here, but buried on page 3 or 4 (we can't sticky important threads due to a poorly designed forum database).

nukechaser

imported post

Draankol wrote:

Welcome aboard! Remember, we were all noobs once upon a time! This is a great group of folks and I am sure you'll learn much. The Open Carry Dot Org (OCDO) site and the Calguns forum are fantastic repositories of information. Take some time, ok, a lot of time, to sift through what's out there and you'll see what I mean.

Again, welcome aboard!

p.s.- "largest employer in Orange County"... that wouldn't be the "Happiest Place on Earth", would it?:lol:

Draankol

imported post

nukechaser wrote:
p.s.- "largest employer in Orange County"... that wouldn't be the "Happiest Place on Earth", would it?:lol:
Heck no, are you kidding me, that place gives me nightmares. Almost as bad as Oompaloompas (read:sheer terror.)