• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possibly moving to Alexandria.

Bernman01

imported post

Hello, everyone. I'm a new member to the site, but have enjoyed reading the forums from different states for the past 6 months. I have a question for the folks in Louisiana, particularly anyone in the Alexandria area. Do you have any problems open carrying in Alexandria? I'm possibly going to be moving to the area from Arizona within the next 6 months and was wondering.

biggin215

imported post

I talked to our former sheriff and he says that if you opened carry on the street, "an officer won't let you get away with it." Even though he admitted there is no law against it. On the contrary, I have never been stopped and when in my car and I get pulled over I have told the cops I have a gun on me and they haven't said anything negative.... it all depends on the officer.

turbodog

imported post

Welcome to the site and the Louisiana section Bernman01.

If you come to Louisiana with the expectation that this place is ENTIRELY different on every level (not just firearms) from Arizona, you'll do fine here.

FishingBack

imported post

I'm sorry you have to move to Alexandria. If youform a negative opinion of the area, don't hold it against the rest of the state!

FishingBack

imported post

I went to some Aces games while I lived there.

It's not TERRIBLE...it's just that every other "hub" town in LA is better. Meaning Shreveport, Monroe, Lake Charles, and Lafayette.

I lived in Pineville for six years as a kid and recently lived there almost 2 years as an adult.

What did I hate most? Driving on MacArthur for everything. Ugh. Shreveport is larger with better traffic plans.

hammer6

imported post

why don't you guys come to aces games? i don't play for them, but i play on a team in their league. we are in town now until saturday- come out and support!!!!

hammer6

imported post

yeah the toros- you broadcast for the gunslingers? we play big bend this week and then go to texarkana next tuesday

KBCraig

imported post

hammer6 wrote:
yeah the toros- you broadcast for the gunslingers? we play big bend this week and then go to texarkana next tuesday

A friend and I do the webcast of home games for the Gunslingers.I won't be there for those makeup games on Tuesday, because I have to work. I'm still pissed that Baron made us give up home field advantage and play one of the makeup games at your stadium.

After the 'Slingers blew both games Saturday to split the series against Big Bend, we sure need your help. Sweep 'em, so we can get into the playoffs!

RickMarc

imported post

Im from Glenmora originally and have talked with many RPSD ( Rapides Parish Sheriff Deputy) and they have remarked that if they see someone open carrying a firearm , there was nothing they could do. One made mention a few months agoto paraphrase 'As long as they wasnt waving it and threatening anyone , I'd drive right past' I live in Richland Parish now and Open Carry all around Rayville , La.

Good Luck

Rick Marcantel

KBCraig

imported post

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20090830/NEWS01/908300311

Mean Street: Gunfire a part of life of on Levin Street in Alexandria

By Abbey Brown • abrown@thetowntalk.com • August 30, 2009

By Friday afternoon, the makeshift memorial near where an Alexandria man was shot to death Tuesday morning had grown to several bouquets, a cross and other items.

It's another reminder that residents there live in a dangerous area. They say the sounds of gunshots are familiar -- part of life on Levin Street in Alexandria.

A woman who lives near the site of last week's shooting said she and her family don't have a choice other than to just "deal with it." She said most of those living in the area can't afford to just "pack up and leave after every shooting."

Tuesday's shooting was the sixth on Levin Street in a little more than three months time. Killed was 23-year-old William King of Alexandria. The man arrested and charged with his murder was 18-year-old Launey Johnson III, who had at least two felony arrests under his belt in a mere three months before he reportedly shot King in the head with a shotgun, tried to shoot at two others when his gun jammed and then successfully shot at another but missed, police say.

KBCraig

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Okay, but what's any of this got to do with the true purpose of the 2nd amendment?
A free society defends itself against the tyranny of criminals as well, not just the tyranny of invaders or elected officials.

KBCraig

imported post

I'm not sure what you're arguing. This is OCDO, not true-purpose-of-the-second-amendment.org

I don't care why anyone cares. They can carry for self defense, to water the tree of liberty, or just because they like guns. Those are all protected by the Second Amendment.

carrynottarry

imported post

Bernman01 is moving to La.?Welcome..and I think for the most part your open carry will be accepted.But, here too..you will run intopeople who will at times..give you a negative response. A lot of it depends on the location of the state you are in.New Orleans? What can I say? But, outside of that area..o.c. is met with more welcomed responses.But, I can promise you..you willmeet up with some unaccepting remarks, looks, etc. Guess it's that way anywhere? Again..welcome.