Thread: Stupid Neighbor Kid

Post imported post

I bought a Jr. Daisy BB rifle for my nephew on his birthday. His mom said I had to keep it at my place and I could teach him to shoot it when they came over for visits.

They came over today so I set up a backstop on the back fence and took the kids out. Before we got started I went over the basic parts of the rifle and safe handling skills.

Not more than ten minutes into our shooting session the neighbor kid comes out his back door waving a BB rifle around. Apparently he has the same one as the one I purchased and wanted to show it off. Let me explain "waving it around." He was pointing it in all directions, including at me and the kids. He started twirling it as if it was a baton. He even cocked it and dry fired it in our general direction. All this after Ihad just finished going over safe handling skills with the kids.

I told the kids to stay away from him. I told them to look at what he was doing and told them that his behavior is exactly what not do with a firearm. I said it loud enough for neighbor kid to hear and he went back inside.

Debating on if I should have a talk with neighbor kids father. We are on a first name basis and a have talked quite often. We are not come on over for dinner neighbors but the relationship is pleasant. What say you OCDO, should I bring it up or let it slide?
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Without mentioning the unsafe gun-handling, tell the dad the neighbor kid is invited over for BB gun practice the next time your nephew is over. For example,

"Say, Jim. I saw your Danny has the same BB gun I bought my nephew. Why don't you and Danny come over the next time Nephew is here and we'll have a little practice shoot. Let the kids get some practice under adult supervision, that sort of thing."

Only if dad declines, mention the unsafe handling: "OK. One reason Iwanted to ask is that I noticed heforgot his safe handling methods last week whenhebrought his BB gun out to show us."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Without mentioning the unsafe gun-handling, tell the dad the neighbor kid is invited over for BB gun practice the next time your nephew is over. For example,

"Say, Jim. I saw your Danny has the same BB gun I bought my nephew. Why don't you and Danny come over the next time Nephew is here and we'll have a little practice shoot. Let the kids get some practice under adult supervision, that sort of thing."

Only if dad declines, mention the unsafe handling: "OK. One reason Iwanted to ask is that I noticed heforgot his safe handling methods last week whenhebrought his BB gun out to show us."
    Very well put. I commend your style.