• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Missouri Open Carry - City Chart-

LT. SOUP

imported post

I knew St. Louis was and has been a issue. I suppose what I was saying was, as a state in all. Most of the areas through out, you don't have a big issue. Yet as indicated be cautious and check ord. Its not the state or county so much as it is the cities. soup.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Missouri needs a good solid preemption law.

Home rule has no place in determining rights. Such leads to much confusion and makes criminals of otherwise honest, good citizens.

Yata hey

LT. SOUP

imported post

I agree. My fear is that we are becoming to libral. I find that if we dont keep on our God given rights They will be taken from us by default/ fault of our own. They say we are ten years behind Eourop with rights being taken away. over there you cant even have a pocket knife. I cant amagin the effects of something like that here. We really need to stay on top of the laws and elect those who believe in leaving our rights alone.

Superlite27

imported post

LT. SOUP wrote:
My fear is that we are becoming to libral. I find that if we dont keep on our God given rights They will be taken from us by default/ fault of our own.

I agree, too. It seems like the majority of folks just don't care about the WHOLE constitution. They just like the parts they like.....and the rest they could care less about.

Any plans to get your CCW?

When I first thought about getting mine, I worried about "the gubmint" having my name on a list, or actually applying for a "permit" to excercise my God given right to bear arms.

But then I figured if the government has a list, I'm probably already on it (I should be. It's called a LIST OF VETERANS) so I sucked it up and went and got one anyway. I'm gladI did as I can now protect myself almost everywhere.

LT. SOUP

imported post

Yea, I will go get mine. I just dont know when. In the mean time I still exercise the right to carry my weapon respectfully. I have a wall in my house. Its called the constitution wall. I have there framed both the constitution and the Bill of rights. After I got back from over seas for two years, I fixed the house up and told my wife she could have all the walls for her stuff but, this wall would be mine. I dont even like the restrictions to a point. I see them as possible steping stones for som lib to ban my rights. I just cant amagin it. I would love to take every American down the MSR Tampa on one of my missions and then ask them if its okay if I keep my rights. Better yet Sadar City/ my old AO. I would suspect most would have a different view of what they have and hold a little closer to there God given rights.

LT. SOUP

imported post

By the way. any good places you would recomend for the ccw course here in Lees Summit / kc/mo area. I have been gone for a few years out of country. I have seen a few sights on the web but as usual they all claim to be great. soup

JesseJamesDean

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Good weekend, although heavy on time spent doing nothing in Wentzville stores. No problems. I'm assuming the majority of folks probably wrongfully assume I'm a cop.

Next weekend, same schedule, but I'm going to dress like a bum. Hopefully the Slayer T-shirt and beat upfatigue shorts will hopefully dispel the probable assumption that I'm a cop. We'll see how that pans out.

SLAYER!!!

haha

ya I live in cass county and it seems to be a pretty anti open carry county in general, as most cities have an ordinance prohibiting OP without mentioning CCW permit holders.

I would love to test laws but I am trying to become a P.I. and would rather not get some BS disturbing the peace citatiation and end up not being able to work in Missouri. I have noticed that a lot of cities except somoen who serves processes, which is work I have been interested in.

However I would rather not ever get mistaken for a LEO once I become a P.I. b/c I would like to be able to get info from ppl who wouldn't talk to cops normally...

HYRYSC

Ozark open carry

Just an update to add to this discussion. On the online version, Ozark is listed as NO-GO. Just reviewed www.ozarkmissouri.com website and the last button along the left hand side "city codes" forwards you to Sullivan Publications website. Here is the data below.

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/ozark-slp/

SECTION 215.250

SECTION 215.250: WEAPONS -- CARRYING CONCEALED -- OTHER UNLAWFUL USE

A. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he/she knowingly:

1. Carries concealed upon or about his/her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

2. Sets a spring gun;

3. Discharges or shoots a firearm;

4. Exhibits, in the presence of one (1) or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner;

5. Possesses a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated;

6. Exhibits, in the presence of one (1) or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner;

7. Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

No mention of Open Carry. Kind of odd that subparagraphs 4 and 6 are identical. I guess that means that they really mean it!!

HYRYSC

Just an addendum in case anyone is interested. I just got off the phone with the assistant city clerk Chandra Hodges. I very nice lady that was very helpful.

I asked her to review Ozark Ordinance SECTION 215.250 and tell me what subparagraph 4 and 6 read. She told me that whatever Sullivan Publications had was correct. I told her that the Sullivan Publications website listed subparagraph 4 and 6 as identical and that I thought that was unusual and wanted clarification.

Turns out that subparagraph 4 is correct, but subparagraph 6 is actually restricting open carry (of course with the Concealed Carry endorsement being an exclusion).

So just wanted to come full circle on this.

One other interesting note though is subparagraph 3 which reads "Discharges or shoots a firearm;". It does not seem to have any exclusions etc, so I wonder if technically a person could run afoul of the law by visiting the newly opened range and firing a weapon?!

Superlite27

IANAL!

Just my personal opinion, but after reading, there is no mention of OC in the entire publication for Ozark.

I do find it odd that para #4, and #6 are identical and the exemptions list #6 for CCW holders...

...well? #4 is identical! It's like saying #1 You cannot pick your nose, # 2 You cannot pick your nose...but if you are wearing a baseball cap you are exempt from rule #2....Well? What about #1?????

Stupid. However, the majority of these "Exhibits in the presence" laws have a common ending.....

....Thay all end with "in an angry or threatening manner".

It's pretty much common knowledge that a firearm in a holster is NOT "in an angry or threatening manner". However, as per exemption, CCW holders are evidently allowed to exhibit their firearms in an angry or threatening manner since we're exempted by mentioning paragraph #6 in the exemptions.

However, not being exempted from paragraph #4 comes into play restricting CCW holders from exhibiting their firearms in an angry or threatening manner.

Therefore, I would presume that openly carrying a firearm in a peaceful manner by leaving it in it's holster would be acceptable.

HYRYSC

You are correct, there is not a mention of Open Carry in the Sullivan Publications, but the actual Ozark Codes do mention that OC is illegal (that is what is supposed to be listed in subparagraph 6 which I clarified this morning with the Assistant Clerk) but the exclusion is that Concealed Carry Permit Holders are exempt.

STL Wolf

Important Post

You may have violated the law when you carried your weapon (concealed or OC) into the QT in Wentzville as it is a Police Sub-Station. I am not quite sure what a Police Sub-Station is (perhaps that is the more politically correct way of denoting a police authorized and sanctioned donut shop), but that may come under the violation of carrying a weapon into a Police station. Your thoughts on this are invited and welcome.

STL Wolf

Griz

bump

thought this topic shouldn't be lost. anybody know how to contact a mod to make a sticky?

sohighlyunlikely

cfairfield

Trying to decode all and get to the accurate answer... I see where it says the list is made for non-license holders.. where can I find the laws for licensed holders?

sohighlyunlikely

not easy

Trying to decode all and get to the accurate answer... I see where it says the list is made for non-license holders.. where can I find the laws for licensed holders?

You would have to research the city's yourself. I have created lists for both St Louis County and St Charles county. Those are the only other lists I am aware of.

Doc